Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 02:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,210 Likes on 4,946 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
a few thoughts:
- if this is related to copper in pads as speculated could USA be getting different pads?
- did press pool drive EU spec cars? Also How many laps were they able to run? For me it was anywhere from 10-15 minutes of hard driving, not 3 laps; on street wasn’t noticeable for me
-swapping to Ferodo pads fixed that problem, direct comparison from 1 day to next in same track

I redo all the brakes on my cars regardless, but never had a GT car delivered with such bad braking characteristics before
I believe it is both US and ROW cars.

This explains why Porsche increased the size of the rotors -- no doubt to account for the reduced braking power of copper-free pads.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:28 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 615 Likes on 347 Posts

In terms of fade, there is pad fade and fluid fade. Pad fade is when the pad exceeds its max operating temperature and can no longer generate friction. The brake pedal remains hard, but the car doesn't slow at the expected rate. Fluid fade is when the brake fluid boils and creates compressible air bubbles in the brake lines. You press the brake pedal, those bubbles squish, and the pedal sinks towards the floor. Since the brake hydraulics are a closed system, the only way to remove those bubbles is by bleeding your brakes.

As a general rule of thumb, never run OEM brake pads on the track. Here's an article I authored on the topic: Can I run my OEM brake pads on the track?

We offer an array of brake upgrades for the 992 GT3. You can see our full menu here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...2)/Iron%20disc

We will also be offering 2-piece AP Racing J Hook discs in the OEM iron and PCCB sizes. For now we have Ferodo Racing pads, fluid, and Complete AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits, which are currently available for pre-order as described in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...3-inbound.html

With stock discs, AP Racing R4 is likely the way to go since the OEM discs won't run as cool as a proper racing disc. Our customers have won the NASCAR Cup and IndyCar championships with AP Racing R4. With our AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kits, our customers rarely need anything higher spec than AP Racing R2. AP Racing fluids can be found here:
https://www.essexparts.com/brake-flu...al-brake-fluid

In terms of brake bed-in, it's always a good idea to bed your pads in prior to heavy track use. The AP Racing discs in our 992 GT3 brake kits come pre-bedded. Below are a couple of videos we shot many years ago on bed-in and swapping between street and track pads.

Let us know if anyone needs guidance on brakes. We are long-timer forum sponsors and we are here to help. Thanks.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 11-11-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:38 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 505 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
In terms of fade, there is pad fade and fluid fade. Pad fade is when the pad exceeds its max operating temperature and can no longer generate friction. The brake pedal remains hard, but the car doesn't slow at the expected rate. Fluid fade is when the brake fluid boils and creates compressible air bubbles in the brake lines. You press the brake pedal, those bubbles squish, and the pedal sinks towards the floor. Since the brake hydraulics are a closed system, the only way to remove those bubbles is by bleeding your brakes.

As a general rule of thumb, never run OEM brake pads on the track. Here's an article I authored on the topic: Can I run my OEM brake pads on the track?

We offer an array of brake upgrades for the 992 GT3. You can see our full menu here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...2)/Iron%20disc

We will also be offering 2-piece AP Racing J Hook discs in the OEM iron and PCCB sizes. For now we have Ferodo Racing pads, fluid, and Complete AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits, which are currently available for pre-order as described in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...3-inbound.html

With stock discs, AP Racing R4 is likely the way to go since the OEM discs won't run as cool as a proper racing disc. Our customers have won the NASCAR Cup and IndyCar championships with AP Racing R4. With our AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kits, our customers rarely need anything higher spec than AP Racing R2. AP Racing fluids can be found here:
https://www.essexparts.com/brake-flu...al-brake-fluid

In terms of brake bed-in, it's always a good idea to bed your pads in prior to heavy track use. The AP Racing discs in our 992 GT3 brake kits come pre-bedded. Below are a couple of videos we shot many years ago on bed-in and swapping between street and track pads.

Let us know if anyone needs guidance on brakes. We are long-timer forum sponsors and we are here to help. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/pdPX6rzuINc

https://youtu.be/ONpSpWcy0V0
if the correct pads and fluids are used, then OEbrakes can work very well. It really depends on the pad compound. If you look at what we run in the Challenge series for example, or in other race series, CCM, CCB and CCST rotors are great performers. You don't need to exchange PCCB brakes with heavy iron discs to make a good track setup. Granted there are many pad options for iron rotors, but so is there for ceramics. As you said, most experience fluid fade on track with street cars, not pad fade. And if pads are upgraded, then there's no issues. If a car has PCCB rotors, a set of RSC2, RSC3 or RSL1 pads will work and last very well. I have tested RSL1 pads on ceramics to over 770 C and SRF fluid, and there was no change in performance and pedal feel.

So changing discs are far from a must. Compared to old school Brembo CCM rotors there's a cost benefit, but they can perform just as well as iron, with the added benefit of being much lighter. Now upgrading to CCST rotors have been the best way for me and others. Ligh weight, longer lasting than anything, and they can be refurbished for half the price of iron discs.

i know you are in this to sell brake kits, so apologize me for saying this, but I think you have a conflict of interest when you categorically say that people should not track OE brakes. Way too many race series disprove that claim as CCM, CCB and CCST brakes are used with great success world wide. Are some basic upgrades needed? Of course, but that mainly consists of fluid and pads for people running ceramics. Perhaps add a set of HEL lines.
The following users liked this post:
JamesBruen (01-24-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 09:21 PM
logical
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
if the correct pads and fluids are used, then OEbrakes can work very well. It really depends on the pad compound. If you look at what we run in the Challenge series for example, or in other race series, CCM, CCB and CCST rotors are great performers. You don't need to exchange PCCB brakes with heavy iron discs to make a good track setup. Granted there are many pad options for iron rotors, but so is there for ceramics. As you said, most experience fluid fade on track with street cars, not pad fade. And if pads are upgraded, then there's no issues. If a car has PCCB rotors, a set of RSC2, RSC3 or RSL1 pads will work and last very well. I have tested RSL1 pads on ceramics to over 770 C and SRF fluid, and there was no change in performance and pedal feel.

So changing discs are far from a must. Compared to old school Brembo CCM rotors there's a cost benefit, but they can perform just as well as iron, with the added benefit of being much lighter. Now upgrading to CCST rotors have been the best way for me and others. Ligh weight, longer lasting than anything, and they can be refurbished for half the price of iron discs.

i know you are in this to sell brake kits, so apologize me for saying this, but I think you have a conflict of interest when you categorically say that people should not track OE brakes. Way too many race series disprove that claim as CCM, CCB and CCST brakes are used with great success world wide. Are some basic upgrades needed? Of course, but that mainly consists of fluid and pads for people running ceramics. Perhaps add a set of HEL lines.
Well said. I’m certainly an amateur as far as brakes and driving are concerned, but have noted no real problems in either my 991.1 and .2 gt3’s as far as braking or brake fade and that’s at cota where brakes get real hot. Not the fastest driver but brake late and hard. Times in the upper 20’s. Hoping that it’s true for the 992gt3 that will be going to cota in December. All my rotors have been iron. Will talk to my track guy at Porsche again prior to going.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:47 PM
sunnyboy123
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mech33
My understanding is the new pad compound in the 992 GT3 is in response to new California and other state regulations requiring reduction of copper and other compounds in the pads for 2021 and later vehicles: https://www.bar.ca.gov/arsc/newslett..._brake_pad_law
And some more info: https://dtsc.ca.gov/scp/brake-pads-f...ked-questions/

Apparently these Sport pads are the old compound type but only available in Europe (imported by Suncoast in this case).
But given the pad shapes are the same as the 991, if you are partial to OEM pads then you can always just buy the 991 parts for future swaps.
That said, I’ve cooked 991 stock compound pads so for more serious track use I would put the stock set on the shelf either way.
Does anyone have info regarding OEM brake pads that comes with 992 GT3 in Canada? Is it the "Comfy pad" or the proper "Sport Pads"? Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by sunnyboy123:
cosmos (12-01-2021), cox1974 (12-01-2021)
Old 01-27-2022, 02:04 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyboy123
Does anyone have info regarding OEM brake pads that comes with 992 GT3 in Canada? Is it the "Comfy pad" or the proper "Sport Pads"? Thanks.
I doubt you'd be able to find any legible part numbers on your backing plate but we found this helpful information today.

992 Copper Brake Pad Part Numbers

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com

Quick Reply: Brake pad fade