Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I alredy broke the two plastic splitters on the front wheels used to vent the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 05:18 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Have you reviewed the 3M data sheet or just taking a hunch on it?
I have a hypothesis as to what would happen to whatever mounting tape is used, the plastic bits themselves, and the plastic bumper. Would love to see it tested.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:25 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'd like to see someone put a 25 lb. weight on each one of those things and what happens when they do.
i can tell you the parts literally exploded, i guess your theory is that the parts are designed to explode, i am sure they knew those will explode sooner of later and decided to use this type of plastic for this reason
Old 10-18-2021, 05:34 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
i can tell you the parts literally exploded, i guess your theory is that the parts are designed to explode, i am sure they knew those will explode sooner of later and decided to use this type of plastic for this reason
Oh I'm talking about dive planes. Those ducts under your car that broke are another story. I'd personally just remove them for street driving and put them back on for track use.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:36 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

I see Porsche removing/revising these very shortly
Old 10-18-2021, 05:42 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I see Porsche removing/revising these very shortly
i sent them a video showing the back of my car, my garage, how the ferrari enters fine there and so, i wonder if they will care to answer. They may think i am an idiot that says their design is wrong and what i really think is that no one tried this design in a real road, one without perfect asphalt and holes.

btw, i love the car, did 250kms today and really loved the experience, i just cant understand how this design was put into a street legal car without warn the final customer to install those parts for track use only

Last edited by JoeGT3; 10-18-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:58 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Are these in front of or behind the front wheels?

The front wheels don't make contact with a curb, for example, before these things?

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-18-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:09 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Are these in front of or behind the front wheels?

The front wheels don't make contact with a curb, for example, before these things?

the back wheels also have ducts, but a different type that its not in the same angle as those ones (at the middle of the tire), i would say the back ducts are ok, i left mines installed

Last edited by JoeGT3; 10-18-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:43 PM
Jax15GTS
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 53 Posts

i checked the manual the day i got the car and there wasnt any reference to the deflectors, i sent today an email to the porsche dealership explaining what happened to me and telling them that this design may cause injuries, you can get a rock or something else on the street and damage the break system, i think this design is stupid and can be dangeours. So far i got no answer from porsche ...

BTW this is how the parts look like right now after the removal (in case someone wonders how those break)

So how hard where they to remove. I pick my car up Weds.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:56 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Jax15GTS
its possible to remove those without removing the wheels but its hard, you require small hands and a low profile torx L tool, if you remove the wheels its pretty easy to remove.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:07 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax15GTS
Looks pretty easy if you touch a curb! J/k
The following 3 users liked this post by raymort:
CO 992 (10-19-2021), FourT6and2 (10-18-2021), Orca911 (03-28-2023)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:24 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 219 Posts

its possible to remove those without removing the wheels but its hard, you require small hands and a low profile torx L tool, if you remove the wheels its pretty easy to remove.
Since you're discussing removing a wheel I thought I'd throw in an observation about jacking up the new GT3. I was looking at - or I guess under - the new GT3 to see if it presents any new challenges for lifting with a jack and using Jackpoint jack stands. The front fins could present an issue if you're not careful.

Starting with the jack - I found the Brunnhoelzl BRI-002JP fits under the car with room for a jack pad in back.

The jack has a minimum height about an inch lower than most jacks so there was room for the jack pad and the jack. This would allow you to lift the back of the car which would raise the front simultaneously.
At this point you could place a jack stand at the back and support the side of the car to move to the front.

Here's the tricky part. IF YOU GO UNDER THE FRONT OF THE CAR WITH A JACK TOO FAR FORWARD YOU COULD ACTUALLY HIT THE FRONT FINS WITH THE JACK.
This could be a problem if you were just wanting to lift the front of the car and went under with a normal "low profile" jack. Some of those jacks could hit the fins when you go under the car if you're not careful.
In the picture above I tried a jack pad with a taller riser to provide clearance around the fins. The alert here is the Jackpoint low profile pad would NOT provide adequate clearance and would damage the fins. The solution would be to lift the car in the back with a low profile pad and complete the lift in front using the standard pad. If you want to lift just the front of the car you'd need to use the nose lift (if equipped) or pre lift the car and use the standard pad.
Yes I'm talking about using Jackpoint jack stands and I'm a bit biased. But I offer the same caution if you are using a QuickJack or other lifting methods. The new GT3 is the first 911 to present this type of issue near the front lift points. It would suck to break the fins while lifting the car to remove the fins to prevent breaking them. I imagine Porsche techs are aware of this issue but if your independent shop is seeing your 992 GT3 for the first time - you might mention this to them. Even the GT2RS does not have this type of obstruction near the front lift points.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I wasn't sure about starting a new thread about lifting the 992 GT3.

Last edited by jpoint; 10-19-2021 at 01:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpoint:
fueledbymetal (10-19-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:00 PM
GoJoe244
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts

These are not aero bits, but instead the main front brake cooling ducts and they look to be pretty effective. They mount to the hub with three torx screws that can only be accessed with the wheel off. These basically replace the ones that the 991s had clipped to the LCA and from my initial inspection look to grab significantly more air. Also, because they mount to the hub, they turn with the wheels and don't run into clearance issues on 19" wheels (once trimmed), the way the 991s did.

I have over 1k miles on my car now and no issues with these getting caught on anything. I guess they could catch some curbing on track, which I will test next week at VIR, but I would not run on track without them as they are the main cooling ducts for the front brakes. There is a very small (i.e., soup bar sized) duct on the LCA, but these do the main work.

Finally, they ride pretty close to the tire wall as well, so it will be interesting to see if tire deflection is enough to catch these. I think not as I suspect Porsche would have found that in testing.
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:08 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=GoJoe244;17734094]These are not aero bits, but instead the main front brake cooling ducts and they look to be pretty effective. They mount to the hub with three torx screws that can only be accessed with the wheel off. These basically replace the ones that the 991s had clipped to the LCA and from my initial inspection look to grab significantly more air. Also, because they mount to the hub, they turn with the wheels and don't run into clearance issues on 19" wheels (once trimmed), the way the 991s did.

I have over 1k miles on my car now and no issues with these getting caught on anything. I guess they could catch some curbing on track, which I will test next week at VIR, but I would not run on track without them as they are the main cooling ducts for the front brakes. There is a very small (i.e., soup bar sized) duct on the LCA, but these do the main work.

Finally, they ride pretty close to the tire wall as well, so it will be interesting to see if tire deflection is enough to catch these. I think not as I suspect Porsche would have found that in testing.[/QUOTE
Are you going to the BMW Tarheel event at VIR? If so, I’ll see you there driving this (still waiting for my 992 GT3 to be delivered to my dealership):

Old 10-19-2021, 02:04 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

These things flex like crazy and are not anywhere near as low and dangerous as this thread is making them out to be. I have zero concerns. Here’s a YouTube video to show what I am talking about.

Last edited by sgroer; 10-19-2021 at 02:44 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by sgroer:
FourT6and2 (10-19-2021), fueledbymetal (10-20-2021), Haku (10-20-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (10-19-2021), redpriest (10-20-2021), SToronto (10-20-2021), thigos (10-19-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:13 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
These things flex like crazy and are not anywhere near as low and dangerous as this tread is making them out to be. I have zero concerns. Here’s a YouTube video to show what I am talking about.

https://www.YouTube.com/GCtCCzoqb_Y
Thank you for posting that video. How in the heck did the OP's duct work shatter in so many pieces then? Looks like brittle fracture of some sort according to his post.

Last edited by subshooter; 10-19-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: I alredy broke the two plastic splitters on the front wheels used to vent the brakes