Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I alredy broke the two plastic splitters on the front wheels used to vent the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 04:07 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911
That’s a good point so the duct won’t scoop up big objects from the road and shot it at the disc.

But the design is just way too low to be practical.
i recomend everyone removing the front ones, eventullay those will break
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 04:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

What I dont understand is the brakes was never a problem in the GT3s. Unnecessary complexity. Its not like this is a 3650 lbs Turbo. Car is so light and with its suspension and downforce advantages, and a much larger rotor disc over the previous model, the cooling of the brakes was never something that they should mess with in 992.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,161 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
What I dont understand is the brakes was never a problem in the GT3s. Unnecessary complexity. Its not like this is a 3650 lbs Turbo. Car is so light and with its suspension and downforce advantages, and a much larger rotor disc over the previous model, the cooling of the brakes was never something that they should mess with in 992.
I’m guessing they contribute to the front downforce as well…
Alan C. (06-06-2023)
Old 10-17-2021, 05:19 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
i cant believe i am the first one breking the ducts, you cant sell a street car with those parts set by default
Old 10-17-2021, 05:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
i cant believe i am the first one breking the ducts, you cant sell a street car with those parts set by default
Does look very vulnerable - hope they make replacements more affordable and easy to obtain…
Old 10-17-2021, 06:21 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
How many pounds of downforce do you really think those plastic ducts can take before they rip off?
Old 10-17-2021, 06:26 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

Seems to me, the logic solution is to simply request they aren’t installed by the dealer…
The following 2 users liked this post by NYCGT3:
Booth9999 (11-26-2021), Il CP (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:46 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

I hate to think what might happen if parts broke off on the track and left little pieces lying around.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:01 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, does this mean the GT3 is no longer a viable option for a daily driver (a decent number of 991 GT owners did this)?

If you were to remove those for street use but wanted to put them back on for a track day, would you need a lift to do so?
Old 10-17-2021, 07:02 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
How many pounds of downforce do you really think those plastic ducts can take before they rip off?
I don't think those plastic pieces are actually taking any aero dynamic load - but they are likely contributing to downforce in some way (and drag). They are slowing/diverting air flow underneath the car which will help improve down force. Obviously not their intended purpose though but maybe an ancillary benefit. I wont speak for Grant but I think that is what he meant.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
jfr0317 (10-17-2021), ShakeNBake (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:37 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
I am surprised too. I’ve had the ducts on my GT4 pop off, but they didn’t fracture. There is a friction joint that doesn’t work when they hit curbing.
Fixinbones (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deckard
If you were to remove those for street use but wanted to put them back on for a track day, would you need a lift to do so?
No, Jackstands would be fine
Old 10-17-2021, 07:58 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You can't deduce from the larger discs and previous designs that the car won't need additional cooling, just because it has larger discs. They changed a lot of aero and thus maybe the brakes get a lot less air from the "outside".

That being said, I actually agree with you. It is a completely unnecessary and stupid design element, and I doubt it is even needed on track. When I consider the fact that a set of RSL1 pads in conjunction with ceramic discs perform as flawlessly at 700* c as they do at 300* c, I don't see a point for those who track either. With the combination of modern brake pad material and brake disc construction, heat is not really a limiting factor. And on the street, who cares? One will have to drive like a proper moron to get the rotors above 400* c. Hottest I ever got discs on the street was about 360* c and that was a 5:30 am Sunday morning run during 2020 covid lockdown with the roads all to myself in a 488.

I will definitely ask my dealer not to install those silly things. Perhaps I will play around a bit with the 3D printer and see if a better solution is to be found.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:11 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Does it matter? Street cars aren't downforce cars by nature. Even with the surfboard on the back, it is not even remotely like a real downforce race car. Whether they are for brake cooling or downforce, I doubt very much removing them will change anything important.

Reality is that selling these cars involve a lot of fluff, hype and buzz words. Being it Ferrari, McLaren or Porsche, they all need something "special" to talk about. Anyone remember the little silly "pectoral funs" on the Speciale? Pretty pointless, but at least they were ugly. These things have a similar feel to them. I'm sure my dealer would flail his arms and make a big deal about them if one were to ask about them. However, I wonder how much they really matter, I doubt it is much.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:20 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
Does it matter? Street cars aren't downforce cars by nature. Even with the surfboard on the back, it is not even remotely like a real downforce race car. Whether they are for brake cooling or downforce, I doubt very much removing them will change anything important.

Reality is that selling these cars involve a lot of fluff, hype and buzz words. Being it Ferrari, McLaren or Porsche, they all need something "special" to talk about. Anyone remember the little silly "pectoral funs" on the Speciale? Pretty pointless, but at least they were ugly. These things have a similar feel to them. I'm sure my dealer would flail his arms and make a big deal about them if one were to ask about them. However, I wonder how much they really matter, I doubt it is much.
My comment was meant to point out that they can't have any appreciable affect on aero (downforce or drag) given their flimsy nature, since they would just break off.

That said, I'll take any help I can with brake component cooling on track. With a front lift, I think one can learn to drive with these in a way that won't break them off (by approaching any "steps" more head-on rather than at a sharp angle, and using the lift to help make sure the nose of the car can clear in that case).

Quick Reply: I alredy broke the two plastic splitters on the front wheels used to vent the brakes