992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021 | 05:05 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

It is funny though Porsche has been selling double wishbone as the best thing since sliced bread where it has been standard in every corvette for decades. When Porsche does it, everyone talks about it

Flipside of that, Z06’s chest thumping of high revving N/A engine parade for the first time which has been old news for Porsche going back to 996 GT3.

Oh, times have changed.

I think the GT3RS will beat the Z06 but not 992 GT3. That being said, GT3RS will be too uncomfortable and impractical for some of the things Z06 can do. Those front vents in the RS mean no frunk space. Can you have a targa GT3 or RS? Do you get two trunks? Some of the things Z06 has (like the full red alcantra interior or light wheels) arent even available in a GT3. Could you take your GT3RS to the beach and have it greet you with cooled seats? There is so much the corvette can do day to day that you would need not 2 but 3 Porsche models.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 10-26-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Some of the things Z06 has (like the full red alcantara interior or light wheels) aren't even available in a GT3.
You can always buy Magnesium wheels specially made for a GT3 from Manthey Racing (majority owned by Porsche) by OEM-supplier BBS, if you aren't scared by the price. You can keep the red alcantara...

While I don't have the appetite to pay for either, I'd rather have Mag wheels than CF (CF wheels have nasty failures in the event that they are damaged on track or fail through some other mechanism).

Last edited by GrantG; 10-26-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:16 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Looks to be an awesome package and great value. Good for Chevy and for American sports cars in general. That said it's not for me over the GT3. No manual and a little too flamboyant in the look dept. The square steering wheel also makes no sense. Wouldn't mind owning both.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:17 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
You can always buy Magnesium wheels specially made for a GT3 from Manthey Racing (majority owned by Porsche), if you aren't scared by the price. You can keep the red alcantara...
Yes but I cant have the $1500 wheel/tire insurance chevy finance manager sells me cover $20,000 worth of wheels time after time nor my comprehensive insurance will cover the aftermarket wheels if they are stolen. And they cost $25,000? and they are not as light as CF wheels.

On this note of service experience….

Chevy’s warranty is absolute madness. They will cover your $4000 cf front splitter no questions asked for manufacturing defects. I get many more questions and push back from my porsche dealer than chevy dealer. I get red carpet treatment for my zr1 and chevy bends over backwards. The service manager is absolute joy to work with, very humble and courteous. I’d rather not share my experience with the porsche dealers here (their sales department is polar opposite). When I asked why my $10,000 bucket seats has no plastic seat covers, the response I got was “we are running low on them and need to conserve”. Right…. This is real I go to Chevy and these guys literally lock my keys in a safe and only shop foreman touches the car. I drive the car in/out of the service area.

Perception and reality are so different. I would never have guessed how things played out in these brands.

I’ll never give up my porsche. I think these cars will complement each other and provide unique experience. Competition is amazing.

Old 10-26-2021 | 05:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Yes but I cant have the $1500 wheel/tire insurance chevy finance manager sells me cover $20,000 worth of wheels time after time nor my comprehensive insurance will cover the aftermarket wheels if they are stolen. And they cost $25,000? and they are not as light as CF wheels.

On this note of service experience….

Chevy’s warranty is absolute madness. They will cover your $4000 cf front splitter no questions asked for manufacturing defects. I get many more questions and push back from my porsche dealer than chevy dealer. I get red carpet treatment for my zr1 and chevy bends over backwards. The service manager is absolute joy to work with, very humble and courteous. I’d rather not share my experience with the porsche dealers here (their sales department is polar opposite). When I asked why my $10,000 bucket seats has no plastic seat covers, the response I got was “we are running low on them and need to conserve”. Right…. This is real I go to Chevy and these guys literally lock my keys in a safe and only shop foreman touches the car. I drive the car in/out of the service area.

Perception and reality are so different. I would never have guessed how things played out in these brands.

I’ll never give up my porsche. I think these cars will complement each other and provide unique experience. Competition is amazing.
I'm happy to hear that the service experience has been so good with GM. I do my best to cover all my own general service needs and never feel great about handing it over. But glad you have had such success with it.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:22 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Let's wait and see how the LT6 'shakes out' (no pun intended) over the next few years. This is GM's first foray into this motor and who knows what gremlins will be in store.

The FPC experience in the GT350 was wrought with issues because of NVH. The engine basically shook itself apart.

As a fan of well sorted GM cars and a previous Z06 owner - let's hope the LT6 team learned from those issues.

I want the C8 Z06 to succeed simply because it makes the $200k+ GT3 look silly on paper. Time will tell.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Looks to be a great package. Looking forward to seeing pricing and option lists. I watched up until panel discussion, so not sure if those things were discussed.

I'm torn with moving forward on a 718 GT4 or get Z06. These cars don't compete on specs. GT4 would be my step to a GT4RS. Z06 would add some excellent variety to the garage.

Did they mention how many years production?
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Let's wait and see how the LT6 'shakes out' (no pun intended) over the next few years. This is GM's first foray into this motor and who knows what gremlins will be in store.
Not exactly. Been racing for two seasons.

https://www.corvetteracing.com/news/...in-c8-r-debut/

Old 10-26-2021 | 05:28 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not exactly. Been racing for two seasons.

https://www.corvetteracing.com/news/...in-c8-r-debut/
It may have the same displacement but the production engine is quite different. Keep in mind the 5.5L motor in the racecar is worked on after XXX number of racing hours. Very different uses.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:31 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by thigos
Looks to be an awesome package and great value. Good for Chevy and for American sports cars in general. That said it's not for me over the GT3. No manual and a little too flamboyant in the look dept. The square steering wheel also makes no sense. Wouldn't mind owning both.
Funny because don't GT3 owners on RL debate endlessly about how to make their cars standout? PTS colors, Over the top decals and deviated stitching?

The Square steering wheel has an objective to make the driver see the entire TFT display from end to end. It was form following function. Unlike the 992 gen, where you cannot see all of the gages because of the circular steering wheel.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:41 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Funny because don't GT3 owners on RL debate endlessly about how to make their cars standout? PTS colors, Over the top decals and deviated stitching?

The Square steering wheel has an objective to make the driver see the entire TFT display from end to end. It was form following function. Unlike the 992 gen, where you cannot see all of the gages because of the circular steering wheel.
The shape/design of the new Z06 is flamboyant in itself. Sure you can make any car stand out more with a flashy color. The C8 does it in any color. To me it's not very good looking car but the performance seems to negate the aesthetic issues
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:46 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

It should go without saying that not all GT3 buyers spec their car to turn heads. To me the steering wheel is a miss. I guess its flat on the bottom to clear your knees too? The way the car drives is more important to me than ease of glancing at oil temp or tire pressure when driving in a straight line. Why not just go full yoke then?

I can tell you are passionate about the vette and that is awesome! I hope you're getting one and that it turns out to be what you're looking for.
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure why some people here (not all, by any means) are butt-hurt over this C8 Z06.

The right frame of mind isn't GT3RS or Z06, but rather GT3RS and Z06.

At the end of the day, more and better competition is always better.

McLaren pushed Ferrari with the 650/675LT and the 720/750LT, and if this iteration of the Z06 can push some of the old guard like Porsche to think a bit out of the box and stretch what they think is possible, then the only real winners are us. Not the guys at Cars & Coffee comparing trap time slips, or track time records.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AllAboutThatP (10-26-2021), G.Irish (10-26-2021), motorwerksgroup (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021 | 05:51 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure why some people here (not all, by any means) are butt-hurt over this C8 Z06.

The right frame of mind isn't GT3RS or Z06, but rather GT3RS and Z06.

At the end of the day, more and better competition is always better.

McLaren pushed Ferrari with the 650/675LT and the 720/750LT, and if this iteration of the Z06 can push some of the old guard like Porsche to think a bit out of the box and stretch what they think is possible, then the only real winners are us. Not the guys at Cars & Coffee comparing trap time slips, or track time records.
I wonder how many of the GT team members at PAG watched the videos or reading this thread lol
Old 10-26-2021 | 06:01 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
You can always buy Magnesium wheels specially made for a GT3 from Manthey Racing (majority owned by Porsche) by OEM-supplier BBS, if you aren't scared by the price. You can keep the red alcantara...

While I don't have the appetite to pay for either, I'd rather have Mag wheels than CF (CF wheels have nasty failures in the event that they are damaged on track or fail through some other mechanism).
Have you seen a CF wheel fail? I have, and it was not the splintering disaster many think it would be. Air leaked slowly, and the wheel kept its integrity.
I've seen mag wheels crack and have blowouts, so there's not much of a security in that. If a shunt is powerful enough to shatter a CF wheel, it will also destroy a mag wheel.

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing