Sponsored by:

Allocation + ADM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 02:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Your analysis is flawed in so many ways, I wouldn’t spend bandwidth rebutting it other than to point out many countries make it illegal to charge ADM. Your approach is to walk into a dealership which you have purchased 15 Porsche’s from serviced all of them at the dealership and traded in earlier models and be considered a newbie off the street because the dealership wants to make a significant profit. Do you have any idea how much that person has given that dealership in profit? When I was buying Ferrari’s never once did my dealer ask for ADM even though the model was the most coveted and the wait was three years to get one IF you were lucky. Ferrari wouldn’t allow it. We were considered CLIENTS and not BUYERS.

I don’t have any interest in the 992GT3 but if I did, if my dealer insisted on ADM I would wait and eventually get the car at MSRP the price Porsche states it’s worth.
Oh gosh I completely agree with you. Please don't consider my opinion elevated to the level of anything close to analysis... It's most definitely not worth a rebuttal. we are just on this forum for fun, if answering a post starts to feel like work by all means do not waste your time and move onto the next one.,

It sounds like you are a happy Ferrari customer and that is a better decision probably. And if you can find a dealer who forgoes adm profit today for anything you've offered them in the past in terms of loyalty, more power to you. My argument was just that loyalty with a car dealer is actually worth nothing, and spending time trying to create it is worth even less., So my time and especially my dignity Is better spent making more money, and then just paying for the object that I want when I want it at the price the marker dictates. If you find that your time is worth spending patronizing a dealer in exchange for no market adjustment or other deal with strings attached, again, more power to you.

Last edited by CAlexio; 03-21-2021 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cadster (03-23-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:22 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My argument was just that loyalty with a car dealer is actually worth nothing, and spending time trying to create it is worth even less.

Truer words have not been written. Totally agree.
chance6 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:26 PM
thomashpsn
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Submitted an order for a Huracan RWD last week...no games or voodoo required for the allocation slot. Meanwhile my local Porsche dealer lost a customer, will be keeping the 991.2 and servicing elsewhere.
The following 3 users liked this post by thomashpsn:
cadster (03-23-2021), Freddie Two Bs (03-21-2021), PiB993 (04-03-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:30 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomashpsn
Submitted an order for a Huracan RWD last week...no games or voodoo required for the allocation slot. Meanwhile my local Porsche dealer lost a customer, will be keeping the 991.2 and servicing elsewhere.
Well done. Enjoy the Lambo.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:54 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh gosh I completely agree with you. Please don't consider my opinion elevated to the level of anything close to analysis... It's most definitely not worth a rebuttal. we are just on this forum for fun, if answering a post starts to feel like work by all means do not waste your time and move onto the next one.,

It sounds like you are a happy Ferrari customer and that is a better decision probably. And if you can find a dealer who forgoes adm profit today for anything you've offered them in the past in terms of loyalty, more power to you. My argument was just that loyalty with a car dealer is actually worth nothing, and spending time trying to create it is worth even less., So my time and especially my dignity Is better spent making more money, and then just paying for the object that I want when I want it at the price the marker dictates. If you find that your time is worth spending patronizing a dealer in exchange for no market adjustment or other deal with strings attached, again, more power to you.
You don't feel a repeat customer at any dealership carries more weight than a newbie? Generally-speaking?
Old 03-21-2021, 03:24 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
You don't feel a repeat customer at any dealership carries more weight than a newbie? Generally-speaking?
I don’t want to put words in his mouth but feom
what I understand in what he is trying to say is that if that yes a repeat customer should get better treatment as in any business but that repeat business should happen organically. He isn’t going to give repeat business just to earn favors in the future.

I can respect that. I think what happens more often than not is customers go out of their way to give the dealership business hoping to earn a carrot in the future and end up getting screwed foe their efforts.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
AlexCeres (03-21-2021), josephr25 (03-21-2021), motorwerksgroup (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 03:29 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
I'd rather Porsche just price the GT3 appropriately...if they want to raise the MSRP $15-20K and raise the price of entry, so be it!
Do you really believe that would stop stealers from asking for ADM? You’re sadly mistaken.

Old 03-21-2021, 03:51 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

There should be truth and ethics in pricing, tbh. Consistency across dealers. Not one dealer with MSRP and another with $30k over, that's complete garbage.

Seems to me that when accurately pricing something to a consistent market, i.e. US, you obviously include overhead, other administrative costs, and a consistent profit %.

With this approach on ADMs, approach of the profit % is all over the map, and to me not respectful. Is it ethical? Probably not.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:02 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

There should be truth and ethics in pricing, tbh. Consistency across dealers. Not one dealer with MSRP and another with $30k over, that's complete garbage.

Seems to me that when accurately pricing something to a consistent market, i.e. US, you obviously include overhead, other administrative costs, and a consistent profit %.

With this approach on ADMs, approach of the profit % is all over the map, and to me not respectful. Is it ethical? Probably not.
Well...then you shouldn't referred to it as "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" but rather, "Manufacturer's Retail Price".

MSRP is just a suggestion from OEM to the retailers.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
Ask all the guys who are posting here who are repeat buyers amd have spent years for this moment, to buy their Gt3 at msrp. who have even skipped a generation of GT3 while patiently waiting their turn, who have today been told they pay adm like everyone else.

The Answer is pretty unequivocal.

Last edited by CAlexio; 03-21-2021 at 04:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAlexio:
AlexCeres (03-21-2021), alibo70 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 04:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

I have followed your posts for many years. I have found them objective and well thought out. That said, I surprised by your post.

FWIW, inn my business relationships, I don't do it for preferential treatment. I do it because the business shows its appreciation of my loyalty by treating me like a client and not another buyer. Porsche has gone out of its way to foster this attitude among its dealers. To allow dealers to take advantage of Porsche clients by charging ADM is contrary to that business philosophy and undermines it. I don't buy Ferrari's anymore. I have a 991.2RS. I have advised my dealer that I may be interested in the 992 RS.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:09 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

A free market does not operate that way. You always have the choice not to buy if the price isn’t to your liking.
AlexCeres (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 04:18 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

So you got a chitty dealer! Is that the fault of others that have good dealers? Should they therefore share in your misery? I think not. As others have said; it’s your choice whether to buy, play that game or not.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:20 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

this is …. Not how a bidding system works with a supply disequilibrium
Old 03-21-2021, 05:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,160 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
this is …. Not how a bidding system works with a supply disequilibrium
It's not even how the real world works.

As CAlexio said up above, loyalty is nice in theory, but in reality the only thing that matters most time is the number of zeros before your decimal point.

I think the problem people have here with ADMs is an indirect result of feeling that they have somehow developed a relationship with their dealers that is above and beyond a purely transactional one -- i.e., buyer and seller -- to something a bit more aspirational -- i.e., friend.

Dealers are not your friends. They are there to make money and feed their families. Gosh, I guess, shame on them for being so selfish.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 03-21-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Allocation + ADM?