Sponsored by:

Allocation + ADM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:26 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
heated up?? I’m not the one that brought it up. You did. Probably best to go back and reread your posts before accusing others of being heated up.
Ha???? I merely expressed what i know to be true about depriciations of certain brands in the context of the hefty premiums for the Touring/etc…. Which part of that is heated up? Yet it seems it has irritated a few on this thread. If im wrong , then my bad.
In any case.. Everyone enjoy your cars …..
Old 07-07-2021, 11:53 PM
Modern Growl
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 73 Posts

Your not wrong. Pre-Pandemic I owned GT3's, GT3 RS's and Turbo S's. I wouldn't buy a brand new 600LT no matter how much I was drawn to them. $300K msrp, only to be worth $185 to $190K on trade in? Over a 30% loss for sure. Naaa, no thanks. I got in and out of Turbo's with $15-$20K losses.

The ONLY way I would have considered a McLaren was pre-owned and at a stupid good deal at that - because it was common knowledge you were going to take a hit on trade in. The lease figures on them were horrible.

If memory serves me correct I purchased a brand new 2019 Turbo S at $186K after discounts and traded it in for $170K - so $16K or about 8-9% loss.

Last edited by Modern Growl; 07-07-2021 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:15 AM
cadster
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Your not wrong. Pre-Pandemic I owned GT3's, GT3 RS's and Turbo S's. I wouldn't buy a brand new 600LT no matter how much I was drawn to them. $300K msrp, only to be worth $185 to $190K on trade in? Over a 30% loss for sure. Naaa, no thanks. I got in and out of Turbo's with $15-$20K losses.

The ONLY way I would have considered a McLaren was pre-owned and at a stupid good deal at that - because it was common knowledge you were going to take a hit on trade in. The lease figures on them were horrible.

If memory serves me correct I purchased a brand new 2019 Turbo S at $186K after discounts and traded it in for $170K - so $16K or about 8-9% loss.
I’m happy that you have enjoyed your ownership experiences with your various Porsche’s. It’s worth mentioning that many (most?) McLaren owners would recount similar ownership satisfaction. It might be hard to believe, but many McLaren owners simply do not care about depreciation (perhaps they have enough resources that the propionate financial hit is not meaningful) and they consider McLaren to be demonstratively superior to Porsche. Everyone has a different criteria for evaluating their respective ownership experience. You attach tremendous weight to depreciation, many other owners do not.
The following users liked this post:
fastforddriver (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 01:27 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Do you buy a car to minimize your depreciation or do you buy a car to maximize your enjoyment?

Fwiw- my 2018 720s that I’m the sole owner of abd have put over 7000 miles on goes to the dealer in a few weeks to get listed for 285k. I paid 320k for the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
AlexCeres (07-09-2021), cadster (07-08-2021), fastforddriver (07-08-2021), ggreg911 (08-04-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

another value dep'n adm thread... yawn.
yippie, that 5078 is looking better and better... less value talk.
The following 3 users liked this post by mooty:
AlexCeres (07-09-2021), ggreg911 (08-04-2021), michaeldorian (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 03:06 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
another value dep'n adm thread... yawn.
yippie, that 5078 is looking better and better... less value talk.
just picked up my 5270!!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

🙏🤙…
I dont get why a few try to fight the real world facts..despite how much they enjoy their cars.

I have never driven a Mclaren .. i know they are kick *** on the track.
But ‘kick *** on the track’ is not the only metric effecting the depreciation of a car!

At the end , IMO Its about the ‘average’ perceived value and pleasure / ownership cost.
The higher the ratio the less the depreciation .

.. aaaannnd Imo.. Porsche shines in that department .. …Big time!

Last edited by yojimbo007; 07-08-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:42 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
I’m happy that you have enjoyed your ownership experiences with your various Porsche’s. It’s worth mentioning that many (most?) McLaren owners would recount similar ownership satisfaction. It might be hard to believe, but many McLaren owners simply do not care about depreciation (perhaps they have enough resources that the propionate financial hit is not meaningful) and they consider McLaren to be demonstratively superior to Porsche. Everyone has a different criteria for evaluating their respective ownership experience. You attach tremendous weight to depreciation, many other owners do not.
Exactly and hence maybe the difference. Many, not all, Macs are being sold with actual miles on them while many, not all, P cars are being traded with delivery miles or not that many miles at all. Instead of comparing % depreciation of all the flippers and dealers here selling GT cars second hand with little miles start comparing those that have actually driven there cars to other manufacturers. P cars are nothing special in terms of depreciation and no different than any other make unless you start pulling off “one off” examples then you can find any example to prove any point you would like.

Again I could give a rats *** about depreciation and/or investment in cars. Bought and sold 30 or so in my life and not one have I not thoroughly enjoy by actually putting miles on them and not just taking them to C&C so people can tell me how cool I am. Yes this includes GT car ownership. I know crazy I sold a 15 GT3 with 30k miles on it. What a concept to actually drive them I know.
cadster (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:47 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

There is either more to this trade in story or this is during the pandemic. I have bought and sold 2 991 Turbos and they are one of the worst for depreciation. One was traded in and one sold private party but either way pre pandemic if you bought a new Turbo and actually put some miles on it then sold it, they were almost as bad as a Panny on resale.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:39 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by yojimbo007
🙏🤙…
I dont get why a few try to fight the real world facts..despite how much they enjoy their cars.

I have never driven a Mclaren .. i know they are kick *** on the track.
But ‘kick *** on the track’ is not the only metric effecting the depreciation of a car!

At the end , IMO Its about the ‘average’ perceived value and pleasure / ownership cost.
The higher the ratio the less the depreciation .

.. aaaannnd Imo.. Porsche shines in that department .. …Big time!
Just some perspective, not adding fuel to the fire ……..Porsche is a 70 year old car company and was saved by the making of a SUV and almost went bankrupt. I’m a Porsche fan boy, and love the brand will always have one in the garage. I was the biggest MAC hater so I picked up a 675LT has it’s raw and visceral MSRP was 410k, and I can sell for 280k which is -32% on a car made in 2015. Neither here nor there I have no issues buying a new one because I like the brand that’s been making road cars since 2012 not that long for a small company.

Porsche will have head winds, and they’re a smart company that’s why you see so many cars pumping out …….so many models a flavor for everyone. The more north Porsche goes over 200k for 911’s, it will push people to try exotics just because you can only do so much with a 911. Minus all the depreciation chatter it’s a mass produced 911, and again I’m #1 fan but I try most all brands. I’ve put more miles on my 675LT than all my GT cars as I like driving it that much. I forked over 300k for my Speedster because I think it’s that good, but depreciation never plays into my mind vs the enjoyment I get when I drive my cars.

The relative example comparing a 70 year old company to a 12 year old company vs one that was on the verge of bankruptcy which learned how to brand itself over time. The later company sells cars well over 300k, and no problem selling them says a lot …….they get their sh$t together will be interesting because their performance is 2nd to none in a short time. Ring time is not important to anyone’s buying decision because no one on this board can replicate what these cars can do ………marketing at it’s finest. Driving enjoyment is the true measure which is different for all just my 2 cents. By the way Porsche is a kick *** brand, but I have given some of their executives some feed back keep pissing off high-dollar customers you will regret it as greed kills in the long run.

Last edited by Maverick787; 07-08-2021 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
AlexCeres (07-09-2021), G.Irish (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:58 AM
Modern Growl
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 73 Posts

Another issue I had that kept me away from Mclaren was their quality issues. I didnt want to be in service often.

I purchased my cars to enjoy - tracked both the GT3 & GT3RS. I did not buy simply to avoid depreciation.

The depreciation & quality control issues kept me away from Mclaren. I buy cars with the big picture in mind, not just one reasons.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Do you buy a car to minimize your depreciation or do you buy a car to maximize your enjoyment?
I buy cars to maximize enjoyment but if I can simultaneously minimize depreciation does that make me a non-enthusiast? I see your point but one does not have to disassociate from the other as long as you prioritize the former and don't let the latter affect your ownership experience

Fwiw- my 2018 720s that I’m the sole owner of abd have put over 7000 miles on goes to the dealer in a few weeks to get listed for 285k. I paid 320k for the car.
You shouldn't use current trade in values to make your point, this market should not count toward historical depreciation values. 2 year old Turbo S cars are selling above MSRP. This same example pre-pandemic madness would have far different values attached to it. Again, not a McLaren hater, I love the brand. Just keeping apples with apples.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Dave GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waddi
Specify the other dozen choices...
Prius GT3 Homogulation...No need to come up with 11 more.

Last edited by Dave GT4; 07-08-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Another issue I had that kept me away from Mclaren was their quality issues. I didnt want to be in service often.

I purchased my cars to enjoy - tracked both the GT3 & GT3RS. I did not buy simply to avoid depreciation.

The depreciation & quality control issues kept me away from Mclaren. I buy cars with the big picture in mind, not just one reasons.
Well then, dont talk to YoJimbo cause he stated that Porsche had to buy his car back. And something happened to the 991 GT cars. hmmm, I forget...what was it??
Old 07-08-2021, 02:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,109 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Just some perspective, not adding fuel to the fire ……..Porsche is a 70 year old car company and was saved by the making of a SUV and almost went bankrupt. I’m a Porsche fan boy, and love the brand will always have one in the garage. I was the biggest MAC hater so I picked up a 675LT has it’s raw and visceral MSRP was 410k, and I can sell for 280k which is -32% on a car made in 2015. Neither here nor there I have no issues buying a new one because I like the brand that’s been making road cars since 2012 not that long for a small company.

Porsche will have head winds, and they’re a smart company that’s why you see so many cars pumping out …….so many models a flavor for everyone. The more north Porsche goes over 200k for 911’s, it will push people to try exotics just because you can only do so much with a 911. Minus all the depreciation chatter it’s a mass produced 911, and again I’m #1 fan but I try most all brands. I’ve put more miles on my 675LT than all my GT cars as I like driving it that much. I forked over 300k for my Speedster because I think it’s that good, but depreciation never plays into my mind vs the enjoyment I get when I drive my cars.

The relative example comparing a 70 year old company to a 12 year old company vs one that was on the verge of bankruptcy which learned how to brand itself over time. The later company sells cars well over 300k, and no problem selling them says a lot …….they get their sh$t together will be interesting because their performance is 2nd to none in a short time. Ring time is not important to anyone’s buying decision because no one on this board can replicate what these cars can do ………marketing at it’s finest. Driving enjoyment is the true measure which is different for all just my 2 cents. By the way Porsche is a kick *** brand, but I have given some of their executives some feed back keep pissing off high-dollar customers you will regret it as greed kills in the long run.
Yup, I'm not going to chase any GT and pay ADM. If the dealers that I've given business to don't take care of me I'm more than happy to go experience a Ferrari or Lambo (I think they'll come through but I'm not counting on it).
AlexCeres (07-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Allocation + ADM?