Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022 | 03:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NA6speed
3.The brake test? I mean, come on? Not even do they not bother to have the cars even anywhere level when they start the brake process. No, they actually count down from 3 to 1 to start it.
You do realize that, travelling at 100mph, you are doing 45 meters per second. Now if you only react 0.1 seconds slower tha the other, you will be almost a car length ahead when you come to stop, even if your brakes decelerated the car at the same exact rate.
Ironically, speaking about reaction times and such in relation to a brake test does show that one does not know what they are talking about. That 0.1s blah blah is completely irrelevant for a brake test because everyone just brakes at a marker - cone or white line. It's very easy even for an amateur to brake within a foot of a line, and two feet off would be sloppy. Almost everyone can catch a flying ball, but being off by even much less than 0.1s would make it impossible - your hand would be inches or more likely feet away from where the ball was. And yet it's commonly done and does not require superpowers. Same with braking at a marker. And from there ABS takes skills out of the equation for the actual braking process, as long as everyone is instructed to activate ABS immediately. It's quite easy to do very consistent brake tests. Of course, we don't know if they have done it properly, but it's a common thing that's hard to f\up.
Old 10-29-2022 | 03:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

This isn’t complicated. A car that has a lot more grip in corners will also have a lot more grip in braking, hence shorter braking distance. The braking test was nonsense, and Sutcliffe should know better.
Old 10-29-2022 | 04:41 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
There will be? Have they announced that?
All I can say for now. 😉
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022 | 06:44 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
All I can say for now. 😉
Ooohhh, fingers crossed for early allocations. Although it would save me some money...
Old 10-29-2022 | 06:45 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer
All I can say for now. 😉
My CXX contact said absolutely not free. They’re still deciding but if they do allow it will be 8k like on Gt4rs!
Old 10-29-2022 | 07:46 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
My CXX contact said absolutely not free. They’re still deciding but if they do allow it will be 8k like on Gt4rs!
8k for the hood or hood+roof? I’d happily pay it….
Old 10-29-2022 | 08:41 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't be happy about it. Easier to finish a solid piece with paint than the mess on the WP hood.
Old 10-29-2022 | 10:15 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Hood only, 8k.
Old 10-30-2022 | 11:22 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Looks like @Manifold added a 992 turbo s to the list of potential .1 gt3 replacement?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...g-992-tts.html
Old 10-30-2022 | 11:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sausage416
Looks like @Manifold added a 992 turbo s to the list of potential .1 gt3 replacement?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...g-992-tts.html
I was cab shopping on Friday and test drove a 991.2 TTS cab, and was surprised at how much fun it was. That got me thinking about getting a 992 TTS (dealer has one on the floor). And then I thought, why not track the 992 TTS if I have one? So the plan would be to replace the GT4 with the 992 TTS, and then replace the .1 GT3 with a new GT car if we get an allocation. Spent a long time talking with my GM on Friday and he assured that I'm high up on his list, but who knows, the allocations are going to be pretty scarce and he has no good intel on that. Wife and I both track, so we need two track cars, and a TTS seems like an interesting contrast to a GT car (lap time appears close to 992 GT3 with equal tires, maybe even faster at some tracks). Still interested in the RS, but one additional concern that came to mind over the weekend is the possibility of adverse effect on the aero with windows down - would the downforce be reduced?

991 TTS:

Last edited by Manifold; 10-31-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2022 | 04:03 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
I was cab shopping on Friday and test drove a 991.2 TTS cab, and was surprised at how much fun it was. That got me thinking about getting a 992 TTS (dealer has one on the floor). And then I thought, why not track the 992 TTS if I have one? So the plan would be to replace the GT4 with the 992 TTS, and then replace the .1 GT3 with a new GT car if we get an allocation. Spent a long time talking with my GM on Friday and he assured that I'm high up on his list, but who knows, the allocations are going to be pretty scarce and he has no good intel on that. Wife and I both track, so we need two track cars, and a TTS seems like an interesting contrast to a GT car (lap time appears close to 992 GT3 with equal tires, maybe even faster at some tracks). Still interested in the RS, but one additional concern that came to mind over the weekend is the possibility of adverse effect on the aero with windows down - would the downforce be reduced?

991 TTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv8z7inZKpU
Thought you were worried about overheating tires? Is probably the wrong way to go with a heavy turbo car if you are worried that the 992 GT3 RS would have problems with overheating tires then you are probably more correct about that right here in the choice of a heavy turbo. I have driven these on track and they are boring if compared to GT3:s (just my personal feeling)

Last edited by Nur93; 10-31-2022 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2022 | 05:35 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nur93
I have driven these on track and they are boring if compared to GT3:s (just my personal feeling)
+1 | AWD 911s have no soul compared to RR 911s.
Old 10-31-2022 | 06:52 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Ironically, speaking about reaction times and such in relation to a brake test does show that one does not know what they are talking about. That 0.1s blah blah is completely irrelevant for a brake test because everyone just brakes at a marker - cone or white line. It's very easy even for an amateur to brake within a foot of a line, and two feet off would be sloppy. Almost everyone can catch a flying ball, but being off by even much less than 0.1s would make it impossible - your hand would be inches or more likely feet away from where the ball was. And yet it's commonly done and does not require superpowers. Same with braking at a marker. And from there ABS takes skills out of the equation for the actual braking process, as long as everyone is instructed to activate ABS immediately. It's quite easy to do very consistent brake tests. Of course, we don't know if they have done it properly, but it's a common thing that's hard to f\up.
I really can't say, how easy it is to hit the brakes within two feet or less of a marker at speeds of 160km/h. I really can't say. It may be as you say, that even amateurs can do it. That, however, surely wasn't the case here. Well, at least not what was shown in the video, since he is counting down from three with all cars being somewhere all around the place but surely not level. If the marker was the white line, then why count down from three? Might for the drama of the video, but then, again, it is misleading at the least.
I am having my own markers when I track, and I doubt that I always hit them to a meter, since on hard braking zones like after Parabolica in Hockenheim, where you go from 250+ to less than 50, I sometimes have a few meters to spare and some other times I'm really really barely making it (so basically perfectly ). I am ambitioned, but I certainly not always brake exactly at my imaginary marker. Might be different with a real, physical marker like a line or a cone and when your only job to do is hit the brakes as hard as you can but I have never tried.
In any case, I am very certain that PCCBs on any GT3 will not stop the same car measurably quicker on a single stop from 100-0mph (I can sense no noticeable difference between my STs and my previous steels) and I would also state that it is is not easy - in real life use on track or street - to bring the steels to temperatures that would get the PCCBS a noticeable advantage on stopping distance over the course of a few laps. As long as your brake fluid is not boiling and you can lock your tires, the therotically achieveable brake torque (which would be bigger on bigger rotors with same pads) is of no importance. And as long as this is given, once more, we have the ABS setup and the tires limiting the grip and nothing else. Brakes stop your wheels, tires stop your car. It's as simple as it sounds.
No doubt that the PCCBs have an incrementally small advantage on the paper (less mass of the car to stop, less intertia for suspension and due to less rotational mass you could therotically have a quicker initial lock of the wheels before the ABS kicks in, which I'm not even sure is good or not), but I would be really interested to see real scientific data and not some backcountry test.
Porsche does not only have some of the best engineering out there, they are also - as we all know - are a marketing machine par excellence and if they had scientific data showing how your GT3 stops noticeably or measurable any faster with the PCCBs, then they would surely sell it to us. Why have they never (at least not that I know of) published any numbers then?
@MaxLTV Your avatar suggests you might have some serious track experience. What's your take on this?
Would be interesting to hear what other advanced or semi-prefessional track guys here have to say.

Last edited by NA6speed; 10-31-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2022 | 07:00 AM
Magger46
Instructor

To me is very easy braking in the same spot when i race...

To me is almost impossible to brake in the same spot to make a judgement on stopping times and distance. For this is mandatory a telemetry recording . Not to mention the fact that they are braking in different zones of the tarmac, with tires with different level of wear! Is just a big no!

This video are just crap!

Last edited by Magger46; 10-31-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2022 | 08:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nur93
Thought you were worried about overheating tires? Is probably the wrong way to go with a heavy turbo car if you are worried that the 992 GT3 RS would have problems with overheating tires then you are probably more correct about that right here in the choice of a heavy turbo. I have driven these on track and they are boring if compared to GT3:s (just my personal feeling)
I’d expect less overheating with the turbo, since there’s less grip than the RS, so tires not being worked as hard. And now that I’m hearing that good Goodyears are likely to be available in the correct sizes, I’m generally less concerned with overheating, even for the RS. It’s the Cup 2 that I want to stay away from.

I always assumed the TTS would be boring on road and track, hence no interest until now, but a lot of people seem to think otherwise on track and it was definitely fun on the road. We would still have a GT car, so the idea is to have some variety - one scalpel, one sledgehammer. But no decision made yet, it will largely come down to which car is available at an acceptable price.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-31-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS