992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022 | 07:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

This is thread took a wrong turn. The only people that should not get the car are scalpers - those who buy it just to sell at a higher price right away. That's the only group that deserves our scorn and blocklisting by Porsche. Anyone else can do whatever they please. It's an engineering marvel and an art object more than a race car. Should only real divers be buying Omega watches? No. If Porsche made a special edition car only for buyers with an active racing license, it would be kind of cool, but this is not such a car.

Now I feel like I will have to go to cars and coffee once I get it just to spite the gatekeepers. I just wish they did not start at 6am on a weekend.
The following 10 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
AlexCeres (10-17-2022), BrntRubber (10-26-2022), Diablo Dude (10-16-2022), Guest89 (10-17-2022), jfr0317 (10-16-2022), JohnnyF1ve (10-16-2022), NS369 (10-17-2022), RobbieRob (10-17-2022), Taffy66 (10-16-2022), TNturboS (10-17-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-16-2022 | 08:05 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Now I feel like I will have to go to cars and coffee once I get it just to spite the gatekeepers. I just wish they did not start at 6am on a weekend.

Old 10-16-2022 | 10:49 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
Wtf is this thread
It's currently centered around @Manifold vs everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by NCheok:
Guest89 (10-17-2022), NS369 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-16-2022 | 11:29 PM
ky1e
Advanced

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, agreed. I've thought about getting a Miata for the track. But I like the speed, feel, and sounds of the 991 GT3 on the track, and I'm interested in the 992 GT3 or RS to take that experience to the next level.

Guys who have a GT3 or RS, but track a cheaper car, are usually doing that for financial reasons.
I started tracking my Fcars (458 spider then 488 GTB) but moved to a cheaper cayman race car for the safety equipment. Full roll cage, wrap around halo seat, 5 pt belt harness, fire suppression, proper fuel cell. But after getting one realized how much better the performance and track experience was with any race car over a street car.

FWIW tracking a race car is a way different experience (and way better) than tracking ANY street car. To put it in perspective I did a 2:22 at Sebring, in my street 458, a 2:11 in Cayman race prepared car. The Fcar would do 168 mph down the back straight vs ~ 145 mph for the cayman but the race car is much better on the brakes/corners/suspension/tires and still yield a much faster time. If you are into the true track feel/experience I would prefer a $80K used old race car like an older cayman race car over a $250K GT3RS. Plus it is A LOT safer.

The reality is the Chin instructors wouldnt drive with me anymore in the street car (4 wheel drifting around T1 and T11) because they thought it was too dangerous to drive like that in a street car without proper safety equipment. I realized if they didnt want to I shouldnt do it either so I bought a race car and never looked back.

Short answer -- people who drive cheaper race cars dont do it for financial reasons, they do it because it is a way better track experience, faster, and safer. But if you are going to track a street car the RS is probably the best there is.

Last edited by ky1e; 10-16-2022 at 11:30 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ky1e:
AlexCeres (10-17-2022), Manifold (10-17-2022), NS369 (10-17-2022), Scrappy1972 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 01:14 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

One would think there should be a natural incentive for dealers to allocate GT3/RS cars to those who track. First keeping a mostly tracked car in tip-top shape should have oil changes every 5-6 track days, tires every 4-5 track days, spark plug changes 1 x year; pdk and transmission fluid every 2 years, air filter changes every year, brake pads changes, rotors, etc, front lips, the occasional sensors that go out, hubs/centerlock, wheel realignments,.... you are looking at maintenance costs of 4-5x non track driven cars. The new RS with all the plastic aero bits and underbody guides plus additional aero/grip will tax the tires even more is probably going to be a maintenance goldmine for dealers service departments. Also those who track regularly with PCA and other clubs including instructors are asked a lot about various Porsche dealers, where to take cars for maintenance, particularly in an area with several competing Porsche dealers. The smart dealers selling though numerous business cycles know the power of these network effects (and several sponsor track events for this exact reason). I don't think track guys are going to have a harder time getting these cars..in fact on average it might be easier all things being equal.
Old 10-17-2022 | 01:24 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
One would think there should be a natural incentive for dealers to allocate GT3/RS cars to those who track. First keeping a mostly tracked car in tip-top shape should have oil changes every 5-6 track days, tires every 4-5 track days, spark plug changes 1 x year; pdk and transmission fluid every 2 years, air filter changes every year, brake pads changes, rotors, etc, front lips, the occasional sensors that go out, hubs/centerlock, wheel realignments,.... you are looking at maintenance costs of 4-5x non track driven cars. The new RS with all the plastic aero bits and underbody guides plus additional aero/grip will tax the tires even more is probably going to be a maintenance goldmine for dealers service departments. Also those who track regularly with PCA and other clubs including instructors are asked a lot about various Porsche dealers, where to take cars for maintenance, particularly in an area with several competing Porsche dealers. The smart dealers selling though numerous business cycles know the power of these network effects (and several sponsor track events for this exact reason). I don't think track guys are going to have a harder time getting these cars..in fact on average it might be easier all things being equal.
Most track guys tend not to go to dealership for track maintenance and service; they usually have their own "guy" (i.e., indie shop).

I will only go to a dealership for required maintenance such as annual oil changes and what-not just to maintain warranty. But I will not go to a dealership after 3-4 track days - no ******* way. And I say that as a person who loves visiting my local Porsche dealer for the free espresso and warm cookies.

TL;DR whether you track or not, the dealer could give a rat's *** about it
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
ky1e (10-17-2022), Peruna (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 01:36 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Most track guys tend not to go to dealership for track maintenance and service; they usually have their own "guy" (i.e., indie shop).

I will only go to a dealership for required maintenance such as annual oil changes and what-not just to maintain warranty. But I will not go to a dealership after 3-4 track days - no ******* way. And I say that as a person who loves visiting my local Porsche dealer for the free espresso and warm cookies.

TL;DR whether you track or not, the dealer could give a rat's *** about it
I also use a modified maintenance schedule (indy guy for the basic stuff) and my car is still at the dealership way more than non-track driven cars, considering parts that get ripped off (strakes, lips), sensors that go bad/need replacement, measuring of brake rotor density, engine work that needs to be done to keep warranty (plugs, filters), PDK changes, center lock servicing etc. And still many who do track have dealer do almost everything, because there is an element/risk of the dealer giving you a reason to deny a warranty claim (e.g "we didn't change the plugs prior to your latest misfire"). I think the good dealers know exactly the lifetime value of a customer.

Last edited by FogCitySF; 10-17-2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2022 | 02:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ky1e
I started tracking my Fcars (458 spider then 488 GTB) but moved to a cheaper cayman race car for the safety equipment. Full roll cage, wrap around halo seat, 5 pt belt harness, fire suppression, proper fuel cell. But after getting one realized how much better the performance and track experience was with any race car over a street car.

FWIW tracking a race car is a way different experience (and way better) than tracking ANY street car. To put it in perspective I did a 2:22 at Sebring, in my street 458, a 2:11 in Cayman race prepared car. The Fcar would do 168 mph down the back straight vs ~ 145 mph for the cayman but the race car is much better on the brakes/corners/suspension/tires and still yield a much faster time. If you are into the true track feel/experience I would prefer a $80K used old race car like an older cayman race car over a $250K GT3RS. Plus it is A LOT safer.

The reality is the Chin instructors wouldnt drive with me anymore in the street car (4 wheel drifting around T1 and T11) because they thought it was too dangerous to drive like that in a street car without proper safety equipment. I realized if they didnt want to I shouldnt do it either so I bought a race car and never looked back.

Short answer -- people who drive cheaper race cars dont do it for financial reasons, they do it because it is a way better track experience, faster, and safer. But if you are going to track a street car the RS is probably the best there is.
true dat.
but it's hard to convince others.
once I got into factory race cars, I have zero interest in tracking any street car. none.
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
ky1e (10-17-2022), Scrappy1972 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

I am lost...
I will go pose at my local CnC now.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 05:11 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Hope 992 RS at least give more grip then my 992 GT3 in the damn roundabout, its always an issue and I lose grip here….

Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (7.49 MB, 70 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Nur93:
Mercuriell (10-17-2022), NS369 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 06:05 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nur93
Hope 992 RS at least give more grip then my 992 GT3 in the damn roundabout, its always an issue and I lose grip here….
Lol nicely done 😁
Nur93 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 07:05 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

I think @Manifold went a bit too far.
Anyone who think needs to buy one of these cars should be allowed to if they are willing to put on the table the money required. The fact that less of these cars will go to people who track these cars or make proper use of what they were made for, is irrelevant, but, yes I also thinks it is sad (that does not make it wrong) to know that many of these cars will not be regularly used.
And that is where I understand at least the root of his arguing:
Here in this forum may be quite a few really quick people with lots of track, yeah, even race experience - but certainly also some who pretend to have more than they do.
The thing is, that at the same time here are a lot of people discussing Nordschleife lap times, not even knowing the difference between BTG or full lap, I am not even speaking of having been to Nordschleife in person, to really understand the impact of this track on driver and material. The first time I was at Nordschleife and droive myself I started to realize what the record times times of street cars actually mean. Not wathing hundreds of videor not playing throusands of laps on Playstation will give you the slightes ideas of what the track looks and feels in real life.
Here are people belittling the indiscussible outstanding performance of the car (somethign like 10 seconds faster than the previous generation without power gain).
The same people are neglecting an effect of the extensine aero. People who honestly think 400kg of downforce at 200kh/h won't make that big of a difference on a racetrack.
Here are people who are thinking 20hp difference on the older 991.2 GT3 vs the 9912 GT3 RS make for a 5 car length gap on straights on whatever average race track.
I can not take them for serious.
These people have no clue what it requires for man and machine to achieve these numbers on Nordschleife (or any other racettrack), yet they feel the urge to have something to say on the performance of the car and how they are disappointed from what Porsche delivered.
For many of these people it is more important what other people think about their car specs - especially color of the seat stitching or they want to be reissured by other members of this forum that opting for the aluminum tank lid is absolutely the right decision.
I sympathy with the general idea that these cars should be tracked or at least being driven on a regular basis; they should be used and enjoyed, because that is what they are made for.
On the other hand, one can have whatever reasons to buy this car, I do not need to like it. Everyone should be able to buy what he wants to buy and can afford.
The thing is, that enough people who are neglecting the incredible engineering work that was put in this car, will at the same still buy one - just because they can and just because they know that others will envy them or admire them for this car. In many cases it will not be about owning and appreciating the car itself. It is about what you receive from others when owning this car. And I feel for these people, because the car should matter for them. The car should be solely specced for them to their taste, not to impress others. Those are reasons I can not comprehend or relate to.
Long story short:
I do not like it when people buy these kind of cars just to own it and to show off. That does not make it wrong. It's just a personal thing.
My point of view, however, is also certainly influenced by the fact that I cannot afford paying whatever price to own one of these cars -which does not apply for some here on Rennlist and certainly not the majority of people who will get an RS allocation in the end. So yes, my chances of getting one of these cars are not really independent from other people.

Last edited by NA6speed; 10-17-2022 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2022 | 07:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I think a lot of people were hoping for more power so it would be easier to drive fast. But this car is about momentum and cornering speeds. That means it's going to actually require skill to wring out fast laps.
The answer is simple GT2 RS with Manthey Kit - trickier to drive but more fun and ultimately faster.

Originally Posted by NA6speed
Anyone who think needs to buy one of these cars should be allowed to if they are willing to put on the table the money required. The fact that less of these cars will go to people who track these cars or make proper use of what they were made for, is irrelevant, but, yes I also thinks it is sad (that does not make it wrong) to know that many of these cars will not be regularly used.
Here in this forum may be quite a few really quick people with lots of track, yeah, even race experience - but certainly also some who pretend to have more than they do.
The thing is, that at the same time here are a lot of people discussing Nordschleife lap times, not even knowing the difference between BTG or full lap, I am not even speaking of having been to Nordschleife in person, to really understand the impact of this track on driver and material. The first time I was at Nordschleife and droive myself I started to realize what the record times times of street cars actually mean. Not wathing hundreds of videor not playing throusands of laps on Playstation will give you the slightes ideas of what the track looks and feels in real life.
Here are people belittling the indiscussible outstanding performance of the car (somethign like 10 seconds faster than the previous generation without power gain).
The same people are neglecting an effect of the extensine aero. People who honestly think 400kg of downforce at 200kh/h won't make that big of a difference on a racetrack.
Here are people who are thinking 20hp difference on the older 991.2 GT3 vs the 9912 GT3 RS make for a 5 car length gap on straights on whatever average race track.
These people have no clue what it requires for man and machine to achieve these numbers on Nordschleife (or any other racettrack), yet they feel the urge to have something to say on the performance of the car and how they are disappointed from what Porsche delivered.
For many of these people it is more important what other people think about their car specs - especially color of the seat stitching or they want to be reissured by other members of this forum that opting for the aluminum tank lid is absolutely the right decision.
I sympathy with the general idea that these cars should be tracked or at least being driven on a regular basis; they should be used and enjoyed, because that is what they are made for.
On the other hand, one can have whatever reasons to buy this car, I do not need to like it. Everyone should be able to buy what he wants to buy and can afford.
The thing is, that enough people who are neglecting the incredible engineering work that was put in this car, will at the same still buy one - just because they can and just because they know that others will envy them or admire them for this car. In many cases it will not be about owning and appreciating the car itself. It is about what you receive from others when owning this car. And I feel for these people, because the car should matter for them. The car should be solely specced for them to their taste, not to impress others. Those are reasons I can not comprehend or relate to.
Long story short:
I do not like it when people buy these kind of cars just to own it and to show off. That does not make it wrong. It's just a personal thing.
My point of view, however, is also certainly influenced by the fact that I cannot afford paying whatever price to own one of these cars -which does not apply for some here on Rennlist and certainly not the majority of people who will get an RS allocation in the end. So yes, my chances of getting one of these cars are not really independent from other people.

I think you need to to stop making assumptions about what people are or are not capable of. As I have said previously, there are quite a few people on this forum that compete in all sorts of motorsport and at national level or higher. Moreover, often in multiple forms of motorsport over their lifetimes.

Fun fact a 10k set of off the shelf coil overs and a new wing added to the 991.2 GT3 RS gets to within 5s of the 992 GT3 RS - stick to the facts and you will learn something (that is in effect the MR kit). Moreover, adding the additional amount of downforce to Cup2R will cause them to degrade at a ferocious rate - unless Michellin have made changes for the 992 GT3 RS specification.

People can do what they want with the cars that they buy. Whether you like it or not is immaterial - the fact they are buyers and you're not is a big tell. I do think Porsche could better direct the more specialised cars by prioritising buyers that have, for example, a FIA/FIA Affiliated organisation race licence - that would sort the wheat from the chaff very quickly.

And Manifold, Porsche provide a full cage for this car - you just have to ask for it. It comes with full DMSB certification. So stop with the safety BS. All motorsport events require cars to conform to a standard that largely varies with the type and level of the event. If your vehicle does not conform it can't enter - it really is that simple. So its up to the owner to ensure the car is correctly prepared and meets safety regs not Porsche.

Porsche will sell every 992 GT3 RS, but the more discerning buyers will be looking at other options for good reason. Technical excellence doesn't sell per se - even tho it may be appreciated, practical performance does.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-17-2022 at 08:36 AM.
NS369 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022 | 08:00 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NA6speed
Long story short:

not exactly true.
you can argue the other side
" posers" are buying these cars , so Porsche is producing more of them . Compare 997 production to 991 production numbers ., and without Covid 992 production would have been higher than 991
Also " posers " by buying these cars kept the depreciation on these cars minimal
So , your actual cost of ownership as a "track guy" is less . Why? because you are selling your used car at a much higher price than otherwise would have been the case without the posers.
without " posers " buying these cars, Porsche might have eliminated these cars from their lineup , because there is not enough demand for them .Ultimately Porsche does and should focus on cars/SUV that customers want
So in my book , "track guys" are benefiting from the " idiot posers " that are buying these cars so they should be thankful
and this idea that I am bitter/upset that I can't get something because other people are getting it ahead of me is not a healthy way of thinking and living .

Last edited by pitt911; 10-17-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2022 | 08:18 AM
manolis
Instructor

Agree with other posters, time manifold and groundhog put a big sock in it. Probably biggest posers on entire board. So much to say but both never step foot in a 9923rs.

Last edited by manolis; 10-17-2022 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS