992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022 | 12:22 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Again what can you do about rock chips behind the front wheels?
Old 08-28-2022 | 12:34 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by dark knight
Again what can you do about rock chips behind the front wheels?
Accumulate them
The following 7 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
catdog2 (08-28-2022), Drifting (08-28-2022), groundhog (08-28-2022), gt3rs. (08-28-2022), IMZSTIG (08-28-2022), Nizer (08-28-2022), subshooter (08-28-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-28-2022 | 12:34 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by groundhog
Questions I want answers too

(1) gear ratios and final reduction
(2) full front end specs including track and wheel off-sets
(3) rear wheel off-set and track
(4) tires, manufacturer, UTQG rating, load rating and tread cut
(5) torque curve and HP curve by value (and percentage used)
(6) steering ratio from and to
(7) cd and FA
(8) rear axle steering adjustment max +/-
(9) brakes mass of rotor material
(10) spring rates
(11) mass of car in standard trim e.g. grey steel rotors, club sport with CrMo half cage
(12) prove the effectiveness of the modifications the old fashioned way - ring time............

I suspect we'll be waiting a few weeks............
Most of those things have never been explicitly advertised in the past.
Old 08-28-2022 | 02:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Questions I want answers too

(1) gear ratios and final reduction
(4) tires, manufacturer, UTQG rating, load rating and tread cut
(7) cd and FA
(10) spring rates
(11) mass of car in standard trim e.g. grey steel rotors, club sport with CrMo half cage
(12) prove the effectiveness of the modifications the old fashioned way - ring time............

I suspect we'll be waiting a few weeks............
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Most of those things have never been explicitly advertised in the past.
Really?

Maybe not "explicitly advertised" (and what does that exactly mean anyway?), but it has been readily available from Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:10 PM
IMZSTIG
Racer

Originally Posted by Rod27
Shock settings are not going to change understeer or oversteer that much, so i dont think dampers are that noticeable on track......the track is either bumpy or it isnt, and that's the only reason id change shock settings. Traction control (lateral and rear) are more important and noticeable. Brake bias would also be noticeable on track. Differential traction lock is also noticeable on track.
The world of damper adjustment is not simply to solve the bumps for track surface/curbs. That’s usually the fast compression adjustment which the RS doesn’t allow you to adjust (that’s for the three way and four way dampers). On the street you notice a stiffer spring/damper for its feeling of “bumpiness” that’s what you notice the most, however the damper rebound and (to lesser extent) compression greatly affect handling of the car.
On corner entry/exit, the adjustments to the dampers allow for more oversteer/understeer. These adjustments greatly affect the handling balance and feel of the car.
The dampers act as timing devices for how fast the weight gets transferred to and from the tire contact patch during braking, dynamic cornering, and acceleration.
If you’ve ever adjusted your sway bars you know what I’m talking about. The damper action is sort of similar to way the sway bars act during load transfer in dynamic cornering. (Stiff sway bar transfers loads fast, soft transfers slowly).
The following 2 users liked this post by IMZSTIG:
MaxLTV (08-28-2022), Mercuriell (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:40 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Given all the gizmos, probably not a car to own out of warranty.
Suspension and diff adjustments should not impact reliability much if at all. The shocks and the diff are already electronically controlled since 991.1, and now we just have a way to adjust their programming. So there is really not much more stuff to break, besides the additional control dials, some software, and maybe some extra sensors. If there are extra issues, they will be software bugs and calibration kinks, and most likely will surface early on.

The active aero actuators are a different story - these are extra parts and these types of parts do tend to break on other models, but the car already has so many motors and actuators that this is not a big increase in the total number. Actually 911 Turbo has a more complex active aero system at the front - it's pneumatic, and it's been ok.
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:42 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Suspension and diff adjustments should not impact reliability much if at all. The shocks and the diff are already electronically controlled since 991.1, and now we just have a way to adjust their programming. So there is really not much more stuff to break, besides the additional control dials, some software, and maybe some extra sensors. If there are extra issues, they will be software bugs and calibration kinks, and most likely will surface early on.

The active aero actuators are a different story - these are extra parts and these types of parts do tend to break on other models, but the car already has so many motors and actuators that this is not a big increase in the total number. Actually 911 Turbo has a more complex active aero system at the front - it's pneumatic, and it's been ok.
Yeah, but Porsche and software go together two ex-wives…

Didn’t they just fire the CEO because of the f’d up software with the Macan?
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Really?

Maybe not "explicitly advertised" (and what does that exactly mean anyway?), but it has been readily available from Porsche.
This stuff was actually published to end consumers for the 991.2? As in NOT found in leaked internal documents, power point presentations, service manuals, etc.?
Where can I find this info for my car?

1) gear ratios and final reduction
(7) cd and FA

Last edited by FourT6and2; 08-28-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

I'm seeing some mentions of hot air getting into the cockpit through the windows being a problem in this car. Why is that and what's the source of it? Somehow I missed why this should be a concern more than in previous generations.
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Yeah, but Porsche and software go together two ex-wives…

Didn’t they just fire the CEO because of the f’d up software with the Macan?
Yeah, true. But software bugs are worse early on rather than later, hence owning out of warranty should be less problematic in this sense - they will have years to patch them.
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I'm seeing some mentions of hot air getting into the cockpit through the windows being a problem in this car. Why is that and what's the source of it? Somehow I missed why this should be a concern more than in previous generations.
The hood vents now port the hot air from the radiator on either side of the car so when you have windows down during track events, there is more hot air coming in. None of us really know what the impact is yet since none of us have driven the car.

Porsche designed the front scoops like that to port hot air away from the intake of the car in the rear. AP talks about this in detail during his rollout interviews.
MaxLTV (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:51 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Apparently the new front radiator design/location sends hot air rearward and outward. And it wants to flow back toward the center of the car over the roof. So that's what those fins are for on the roof. To keep that hot air outboard. And AP joked in interviews that with the windows down, it's gonna get toasty for the driver.
MaxLTV (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 03:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@0:31 and @1:03

Actually the whole vid is worth a watch, but those two segments highlight why it'll get hot in the cabins with the windows down.

MaxLTV (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 04:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, I wouldn't really want to own a 911 TT/TTS out of warranty either.
Old 08-28-2022 | 06:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Well, I wouldn't really want to own a 911 TT/TTS out of warranty either.
I had them for the last 5 years with no issues at all. In fact, it's the only car model I owned without any repairs needed (besides a glitch on one of them that happened right after pick up, but that one was so bizarre that Porsche sent the car back to the mothership for investigation and gave me a new one). All GT cars were in the shop more than once each, and both Cayennes have been a disaster in comparison (but somehow still better than my friend's Audi RSQ8).
heshalosny (08-29-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS