Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusnak Pasadena Porsche's Terrible Customer Service and How I Bought a 2017 911 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:37 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll suggest that car salesman are people too, and you should treat them with the same respect and consideration that you want from them.

For that reason, you should call ahead and make an appointment.

It's never been an issue for me with this method, be it Porsche, Ferrari, Aston-Martin, Bentley, etc.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
For that reason, you should call ahead and make an appointment.
It's true that calling ahead is usually little effort. And I do call ahead for an appointment if it's an unusual / in demand car. For example, before I test drove a BMW i8, I made an appointment.

On the other hand, car dealerships should be expected to offer test drives of cars common to that kind of dealership. It's part of running a dealership, and part of being a car salesman. It's not discourtesy to walk in and ask to test-drive a 911 at a Porsche dealership.

What's reasonable depends on the kind of dealership. I can see a Chevy dealership wanting some advance notice to test drive a Z06, since they're mostly in the business of selling sedans, SUVs, and the like. Expectations for a Porsche dealership should be higher, even if they do sell more Macans than 911s.

That said, if Rusnak is making the ridiculous demand of a credit check just to test drive a car, it seems extremely unlikely they're going to wave that check just because you called and made an appointment.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

^^ Very good points. I call ahead if I want to deal with my fave SA, just to make sure he's not spending 4 hours selling a Macan to a first timer when I arrive. But if I just want to take the latest .2 for a spin... [shrug] what's the big deal? Credit check??? Ya gotta be kidding me.

Now that said, in my opinion a person ought to find a real car-guy salesman and latch onto him. My guy at Hennessy Atlanta has been selling Porsches since the 80s. He is a lifelong car guy in his early-60s and he leases a new 911 every other year. I followed him from Jim Ellis (formerly the only Atlanta dealer) to Hennessy when they opened in 2001 or 2002. This sort of relationship makes test drives so much easier.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
This sort of relationship makes test drives so much easier.
Mostly, yeah. When I went looking for a 911 last year, the SA who sold us the Cayman and the Panamera was quite eager to get me to test drive a variety of cars. Particularly more expensive ones .

On the other hand, my first test drive of a 911 was with a SA I'd never met before, but who was far more inclined to show me what the car could do than most SA's I've met. That was fun.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Discrimination & racism at its best. I am glad you take your business elsewhere as they do not deserve your money.

PF
Old 07-12-2017, 08:16 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

There is nothing right about how Rusnak treated you but all of this could have been avoided by a simple phone call into Rusnak prior to your visit or even working a deal out online by email before stepping your foot into the dealership. Why waste your time to drive over to Rusnak without having any prior arrangements if you are that serious about buying with cash? Sounds like a waste of time to me.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
There is nothing right about how Rusnak treated you but all of this could have been avoided by a simple phone call into Rusnak prior to your visit or even working a deal out online by email before stepping your foot into the dealership. .
Working out a deal before just test driving a car? Are you serious? My SA offers me a test drive of something without me even asking almost every time I'm in there. Giving test drives is how you get customers interested in your product. A customer shouldn't have to do anything but show interest and a valid drivers license and insurance card to test drive a car, unless, for some reason it's a special model that they are not allowing test drives on. In which case, they should communicate that.

I've never done anything but hand over my license to do a test drive. Livermore Porsche handed me the keys to two Carreras and let me test drive them alone with nobody even accompanying me, because the guy had to take a call. Nobody should have to fill out a credit app to test drive a car.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:25 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

At least they talked to you. My wife and I walked into them and 2 others on the weekend in shorts and t-shirts. Not one dealer sales rep even came up and talked to us until we drove 2 hours away to Auto Gallery. I know they are the most hated, they treated us right and we bought from them.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 PM
falco1098
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notice how you can go to, for example, Ruth Chris Steakhouse in LA or Phoenix in flip flops, shorts and a tshirt and they will happily seat and serve you then take your money. But go to a Porsche dealer in either city and there is no service or dealing?!

I had the same experience in Scottsdale where once I got someone to pay attention and I said I want to buy that S today for this price (10% off msrp) he damn near laughed at me and took the time to mention how they were the 7th largest dealer, couldn't keep cars in stock they sold so fast and thus the price you see is the price.

Happily went 1800m away to Porsche of Kings Auto Mall in Cincinnati as the were offering over 10% off msrp.

Last edited by falco1098; 07-12-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I've filled out an insurance form to test drive a Porsche, but never a credit app.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:55 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

My dealer gave me a ride. Then he insisted my wife drive. He got out and she got in and the two of us went for a ride. I handed him my license so he could see that I had one, he handed it back, that's it.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

This must be a Westcoast thing. I've bought a lot of Porsche's from dealers across the US. Never had a problem on the right coast. Only thing close I can remember is from Suncoast in Sarasota. Saturday afternoon, guy walks in wearing bib overalls. No one wanted to wait on him, so a friend of mine de ides to talk to him. Bought 3 cars cash. Never judge a book by its covers
Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,174 Likes on 5,292 Posts

Originally Posted by falco1098
Notice how you can go to, for example, Ruth Chris Steakhouse in LA or Phoenix in flip flops, shorts and a tshirt and they will happily seat and serve you then take your money.
Better question is why you're subjecting yourself to Ruth's Chris.

#FindARealSteakhouse
Old 07-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stephen k
There is nothing right about how Rusnak treated you but all of this could have been avoided by a simple phone call into Rusnak prior to your visit or even working a deal out online by email before stepping your foot into the dealership.
I'll say it again. There's no way that if they're unreasonable enough to require a credit check for a test drive, that making a phone call was going to change that.

The correct way to respond to this nonsense is not to make an appointment. It's to visit a more reasonable dealership.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:36 PM
falco1098
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Better question is why you're subjecting yourself to Ruth's Chris.

#FindARealSteakhouse
Well, that was merely an example of a place everyone knows that you wouldn't think would allow shorts and flips!

Now French Laundry and Per Se don't allow that so would work in this story!

Quick Reply: Rusnak Pasadena Porsche's Terrible Customer Service and How I Bought a 2017 911 GTS