Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS w/ SPASM - Front Axle lift or no??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS w/ SPASM - Front Axle lift or no??

All the searching i did here and elsewhere....didn't help or provide any consensus!

Basically, all i got was "it depends on where you live". The flip side is that it is expensive, one more thing to break, and adds unnecessary weight.

I live near Minneapolis currently and don't see any issue. However, i am moving to motor city (Detroit) area in two weeks. After two weeks of house hunting, i can say that the roads absolutely suck in the short time i've been there.

My build locked today, but i would likely be able to make a last minute add this week.

What say you? (My build below)

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ7X2N66
Attached Images  

Last edited by BlazinPond; 07-11-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have it on my '17 GTS and its come in handy on more than a few routes I take. I live in Chicago (downtown) and its saved me plenty of times. My '13 C2S without the lift never had an issue, but the GTS sits low enough that the lift is needed for things like speed humps.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Nice car, love the simple but good build. I think you already know the pluses and minus' of having the lift. I REALLY wouldnt bother much on a non GT car thats scraping the ground. Just leave it stock ride height and you be fine 97 percent of the time. Realistically, the other 3...that one inch won't be saving you much.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I ordered the lift cause I got some crazy underground garage parking. I have to angle the wheel in my 4x4 (Audi S3 lol) as it practically bottoms out. Anyhow not sure if it will be worth it but we'll see. I recall in another thread a Rennlister saying that the cost of front axel lift would pay for four front end lip replacements. I'm OCD so I ordered the lift anyway which will help me sleep better at night.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:30 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Great info guys. Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Topc2s
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for the front axel lift together with the SPASM package... Its the only thing i regret not having on my car. The car sits 20mm lower than standard and sooner or later you will be running into high speed bump or very steep slope which you wont be able to get away easily without scrapes
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Detroit area roads in general are worse than others

I used to live there and I thank god I had a rental car on my last visit. That said, I do not believe the axle lift will compensate for just bumpy roads. I have SPASM on my 911 and find that its only the dips and elevation changes in the roads and driveways that cause the real problem. You rely on geometry, angles and lower speeds when you encounter these situations. If you come on a situation too quickly to react, then you better have your front end already lifted.
If the cost of the option is not a factor, it becomes an easy business decision.
Enjoy your stay in Motown. I enjoyed living there on two separate occasions.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 AM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would definitely get the lift. I didn't have it on my '16 GTS and scraped it within hours of getting the car and in less than a year it was all scraped up no matter how careful I was. Now I have a '17 with lift and have used it on numerous occasions (i.e., coming out of gas stations, strip malls, etc.). However, sometimes I'll misjudge the slope and not activate the lift, so I'm no longer scrape less
Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 AM
golden1911
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a 4 GTS with SPASM and the lift. i've never used the lift once, it's high enough for speed bumps etc.

only reason i would ever get the lift if i was going to lower the car even more.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I am in the unique position of currently driving a '16 C2 with SPASM and a '16 GT3 with front axle lift. No matter what I do, I always seem to scrape at some point the C2 spoiler. I originally thought the FAL was not necessary. After installing the DSC controller in the C2 (soon to go in the GT3), I find that the front floats over road dips and is more prone to hitting the front lip more frequently. For reference, the SPASM is 10mm than the "S" & 20mm lower than the stock C2. The GT3 is 10mm lower than the SPASM.

I would recommend including the option in the GTS, especially if you install the DSC controller later.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

You guys are great! Really appreciate you taking the time to help a brother out!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:50 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I got it. I would scrape the car on the driveway every time I go out otherwise- not to mention all the speed bumps around here.. And I actually installed it on a GT3 I owned (which was a track car).. You won't notice the weight difference and I got tired of replacing spoilers.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George from MD
I got it. I would scrape the car on the driveway every time I go out otherwise- not to mention all the speed bumps around here.. And I actually installed it on a GT3 I owned (which was a track car).. You won't notice the weight difference and I got tired of replacing spoilers.
Was the first car a 991 GTS?
Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I have SPASM and have to take my driveway at a 45 degree angle to not scrape the front. Mixed feelings about this. I think I would probably rather put the money elsewhere and continue to take the driveway at an angle but I could also see the convenience of having a front axle lift...
Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Nice car, love the simple but good build. I think you already know the pluses and minus' of having the lift. I REALLY wouldnt bother much on a non GT car thats scraping the ground. Just leave it stock ride height and you be fine 97 percent of the time. Realistically, the other 3...that one inch won't be saving you much.
Thanks again. Appreciate all your advice.

So do i have this right??

If i press comfort PASM setting, I'm at 'x' ride height.
If i engage SPASM sport setting, I'm at x -20 mm? Or is it -10mm?

So if i am in areas where dips and inclines may be risky, without a lift, i should ensure car is in comfort setting which gives me 10/20mm of lift?
Or, is the car -20mm no matter what setting i am in because it is a SPASM?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS w/ SPASM - Front Axle lift or no??