Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS w/ SPASM - Front Axle lift or no??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:36 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I added the FAL to my build. I don't expect to use it a lot, but occasionally. I previously scraped my Panamera once in a while. Always made me cringe. I don't track my car, so the weight was a non issue. And truthfully, I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference of an extra 10 lbs or whatever the system weighs, so I don't get fussed about it. I understand the replaceability and cost argument of the front splitter, but for convenience and potentially avoiding that awful feeling from scraping, I'd rather just add it and in the long term I won't remember the cost difference.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:53 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Thanks again. Appreciate all your advice.

So do i have this right??

If i press comfort PASM setting, I'm at 'x' ride height.
If i engage SPASM sport setting, I'm at x -20 mm? Or is it -10mm?

So if i am in areas where dips and inclines may be risky, without a lift, i should ensure car is in comfort setting which gives me 10/20mm of lift?
Or, is the car -20mm no matter what setting i am in because it is a SPASM?
Someone else with actual knowledge can confirm, but as I understand it when you have SPASM, for example, the car sits 20mm lower. The height doesn't adjust with different settings. I think the only way height adjustment occurs is with the FAL system. That's my understanding, which may not be correct.

Last edited by bwiele; 07-11-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my SA bring a car with SPASM and front axle lift to my office where the entry into the property and entry into the underground parkade is somewhat steep. Without using the front axle lift, the front end scraped at both locations. With the Lift engaged, no scraping when going slow. Mild scraping if going fast. The Lift also works great in parking lot speed humps.
One thing I did notice was that when the Lift is engaged, turning makes the front axle feel very unstable and almost weak so I usually disengage it as soon as I'm done using it and turn slowly.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:51 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GTS hasn't scraped yet, but shouldn't we consider the nominal cost of replacing the plastified from lip vs the cost of the front axle lift?

This assumes of course you don't already have a strong case for it (crazy driveway, super high speed bumps, etc)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If you don't have a FAL, the ride height doesn't change at all when you switch from comfort to sport mode in a SPASM car.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Also, be aware that, just because you have a FAL on a SPASM car doesn't mean you won't still have to angle the car. The back end of the car also sits low and can scrape on a steep decline as well. So you need to be careful of that as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 395 Likes on 228 Posts

Blazing the first car is a 991.2 Carrera S with SPASM. The Gt3 was a 997.1. Anyone who tells you they can feel the weight is full of it. Even Walter Rorhl said he couldn't feel the weight.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

So if i am in areas where dips and inclines may be risky, without a lift, i should ensure car is in comfort setting which gives me 10/20mm of lift?
Or, is the car -20mm no matter what setting i am in because it is a SPASM?
Confirming that the suspension clearance to the ground does not change, unless you have FAL. I am surprised at how many people think it is adjustable. Porsche literature seems to lead one to think that it can be adjusted.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM
AeroStormGT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever considered the no-cost option - standard PASM?

From the config page it says
Standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (10 mm lower)
Note: Selection of this option removes PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm lower) which is fitted as standard equipment on the 911 Carrera GTS coupe models.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Confirming that the suspension clearance to the ground does not change, unless you have FAL. I am surprised at how many people think it is adjustable. Porsche literature seems to lead one to think that it can be adjusted.
Thanks. I think part of the problem (besides their literature) is many new 911 buyers may come from the Cayenne or Macan, if that was their intro to the brand.

Myself included, my Cayenne Turbo and Macan GTS both would lower ride height when you activate sport mode.

That was why i needed to confirm that a 991.x does not.

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:39 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AeroStormGT
Ever considered the no-cost option - standard PASM?

From the config page it says
Standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (10 mm lower)
Note: Selection of this option removes PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm lower) which is fitted as standard equipment on the 911 Carrera GTS coupe models.
Great question.
I have weighed that option and would prefer to just add front axel lift and keep SPASM than opt out and just get PASM.

But i remain open until my salesman cuts me off and says no more changes!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I specced the FAL on my GTS, as no-one seemed to know exactly what ride height the car was going to come with.

Going into a nature reserve on Angelsey, there was a road about 1/2m long riddled with large speed bumps - I smugly said to my wife: “no problem, I’ll just raise the front” then pressed the button and proceeded gaily to drive right over the humps, confident that nothing was going to scrape, which it didn’t.

After I cleared the last obstacle, the Mrs observed that the car sounded a bit fruitier than before on the exhaust front, which I had to agree to. I looked down to see that instead of pressing the axle lift, I’d put the PSE into sports mode...

The moral of this story is that the GTS has much better ground clearance than you might think! On balance, however, I’m still happy that I have FAL as there are probably places where the normal suspension setup could be defeated by the road curvature.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I specced the FAL on my GTS, as no-one seemed to know exactly what ride height the car was going to come with.

Going into a nature reserve on Angelsey, there was a road about 1/2m long riddled with large speed bumps - I smugly said to my wife: “no problem, I’ll just raise the front” then pressed the button and proceeded gaily to drive right over the humps, confident that nothing was going to scrape, which it didn’t.

After I cleared the last obstacle, the Mrs observed that the car sounded a bit fruitier than before on the exhaust front, which I had to agree to. I looked down to see that instead of pressing the axle lift, I’d put the PSE into sports mode...

The moral of this story is that the GTS has much better ground clearance than you might think! On balance, however, I’m still happy that I have FAL as there are probably places where the normal suspension setup could be defeated by the road curvature.
I had the best laugh out loud experience!
Ha....probably so many others can relate!
Really appreciate you sharing!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Also, be aware that, just because you have a FAL on a SPASM car doesn't mean you won't still have to angle the car. The back end of the car also sits low and can scrape on a steep decline as well. So you need to be careful of that as well.
Great info and good point! Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

update on my order....

I have changed my order today to ADD Front Axle Lift system (FAL).
This has been a great thread with great info and i sure appreciate it.

Main reason for change of order:
--I'm moving from MN to Michigan two weeks from now. I would rather increase the budget by 2500 and have it if i need it, vs. scrape and replace bumper lips and not able to add it after the fact (easily).
--That and the OCD would kill me during this 90-day wait.

Basically, too many unknowns for where i will live and drive in Michigan.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS w/ SPASM - Front Axle lift or no??