Sponsored by:

991.1S is staying put!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 991.1S is staying put!

Well after some comparison shopping and toying with the idea of just turning the car in, I made the decision this week to keep my 991.1S!! There just isn't anything else like it right now that checks all the boxes for me and I felt like our time together was too short and we were just getting to know each other. To celebrate, I decided to replace the P Zeroes with Michelin 4S all around and replaced my shifter with the one from Numeric Racing (both upgrades are awesome!). I use this car as my daily driver and between the daily commute, runs to the grocery store, picking up dry cleaning, etc. it does all of these duties with class and style and I couldn't be happier. Rarely is it spending time below 3k RPM and the sound of the Akra from 5-7k with the windows/sunroof cracked is just glorious IMO. I feel bad for even thinking of trading for something else but we all know how that itch sometimes goes.

By way of background, here are the basic specs of my car.
2014 C2S, 17k miles
Agate Grey over Platinum Grey interior
7MT
SPASM
Sport Chrono
PDCC
SD Steering wheel
Premium Package Plus
PDLS
Bose
Navigation
Sunroof
Carrera S wheels in silver
Aluminum interior package

Since taking ownership I've put PPF on the front clip and rear haunches as well as added the Akrapovic cat-back exhaust and the DSC sport controller, both of which transformed the car to pure perfection IMO. Just waiting for a good day to give her a full polish and detail and will post up some pics.

As an aside, I did test-drive the new 991.2 series in my search for completeness, and put some serious consideration towards the GT4 as well. While all of those cars are great in their own right, the new .2s just didn't do it for me as a package. I liked the stock SPASM suspension of the .2 more and I think Porsche has done a good job taking some of the harshness out of the .1 SPASM while maintaining or improving the handling characteristics. The steering feel of the .2 is similarly improved and no question the new steering wheel finally feels updated and modern. Turbo-lag is near zero and that instantaneous torque curve is pretty addicting. But somehow the combination of turbo induction noise, exhaust noise, and overall visceral feel of the car left me wanting. It felt to me TOO polished, TOO composed, and not engaging enough, if that's possible. It felt like a mash the pedal, go fast, and steer to keep it on the road kind of car rather than one that requires you to pay attention and work for your reward. I'm afraid Porsche has deviated quite a bit from the character of 911s of yester year. Don't get me wrong, the 991.1 that I have is no 997 and definitely no 993 of any form with re: to this characteristic but for me the .1 balances that characteristic and the comfort I'm happy with and prefer in a daily driver whereas the .2 reaches too far over the line of being too sterile for my tastes. The GT4 is a different story but alas seemed less practical as a daily despite the awesome driving experience.

In summary, the .1 has a place in my garage for a long time and I'm thankful and feel very lucky to have such a great car to enjoy in good health. Thanks for reading and making it this far! :beer:
Old 07-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Enjoy! I'm super interested in hearing about your upgrades. Especially the DSC. How do you think it compares to the .2 suspension? I also felt like the .2 was far smoother than the .1, but agree it's almost a little too smooth. Would love to get somewhere in between the two.

I don't have SPASM, since I have a cab.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:31 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

smart move - I should have done the same!! I like my new 991.2C4S but I miss the 3.8 and manual shift.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I wrestled with the same idea. I considered a GT3 trade, and then my dealer offered me their upcoming gts allocation. Something about the 991.1 Carreras hit the sweet spot between being a bit analogue as well as modern. The new cars are faster, but maybe less "emotional?" I probably would buy a 991.2 gts if I didn't have a 991.1. I also am keeping mine.

I bought a new set of wheels and am shopping for some other enhancements also. Did you have headers planned? I was reading magic rats review of the fabspeed headers and it looks like they give the torque the .1 could benefit from.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Similar thoughts as those expressed above.

I had a .1 c2s PDK and a 6mt BMW (sold to rennlister). I traded the .1 c2s for a yet to be delivered .2 GTS4 7mt. My thinking was get the best of both worlds by consolidating to one all purpose car. When test driving the .2 it did not have the visceral feel but is more refined and a better daily (sort of) than the .1 c2s and I assumed the .2 GTS would have a little more noise and rawness than the .2 that I test drove. I thought about trading my .1 for a 7mt .1 but I'm unfortunately and stupidly way too picky on options so I didn't want to wait for the right .1 to show up. Anyhow hopeful I don't regret my decision but we will see! I think I will enjoy the .2 very much but also a HUGE fan of the .1 (seems rare around here to like both) One day hope to have a gt3/track car as weekender for more visceral feel anyway.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Enjoy! I'm super interested in hearing about your upgrades. Especially the DSC. How do you think it compares to the .2 suspension? I also felt like the .2 was far smoother than the .1, but agree it's almost a little too smooth. Would love to get somewhere in between the two.

I don't have SPASM, since I have a cab.
Love all the upgrades but definitely the DSC. Before stock, it was firm and didn't really behave too well going over freeway expansion joints and bumps. It would particularly get upset going over bumpy roads and just didn't feel composed and confidence inspiring. Smooth roads of course were awesome. Now w/ the DSC the suspension is not as firm but because of the dynamic nature of the box and the active PDCC, the ride just seamlessly firms up with more load and relaxes in a very linear way so as to be almost not noticeable. It's never going to be quite the predictable nature of a simple passive coilover suspension but it's awesome and I wouldn't have a .1 without DSC. I think it's a great middle road between stock .1 and .2 suspensions if you're looking for a comparison. Also really noticeable is the decreased squat and dive fore/aft with heavy braking and acceleration which is great. Lastly, while it's a little out of my wheelhouse the DSC box is totally customizable so if you're into tinkering you can download the software and set exact response characteristics for all conditions.

Originally Posted by onedae
smart move - I should have done the same!! I like my new 991.2C4S but I miss the 3.8 and manual shift.
NA 3.8 is awesome and while not in Mezger-land, definitely a very worthy and exciting power plant.

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I wrestled with the same idea. I considered a GT3 trade, and then my dealer offered me their upcoming gts allocation. Something about the 991.1 Carreras hit the sweet spot between being a bit analogue as well as modern. The new cars are faster, but maybe less "emotional?" I probably would buy a 991.2 gts if I didn't have a 991.1. I also am keeping mine.

I bought a new set of wheels and am shopping for some other enhancements also. Did you have headers planned? I was reading magic rats review of the fabspeed headers and it looks like they give the torque the .1 could benefit from.
Oh yea I forgot to mention I also considered the .1 GT3 but thought the timing was wrong with the new .2 not yet released I figure prices should come down some when they are released and depending how low they go might be a worthwhile successor, but still without the MT IMO the car just isn't as engaging and that would be a huge downside for me despite the benefits of being a GT car. My perfect, perfect car would probably be a 991.1 GTS but alas given what I have, I didn't think it was worth the 30k plus price difference to upgrade for something too similar IMO. If I was new to Porsche or the 991 series then the .1 GTS would have been my choice though the delta between the S and GTS is still higher than I would have guessed/like.

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Similar thoughts as those expressed above.

I had a .1 c2s PDK and a 6mt BMW (sold to rennlister). I traded the .1 c2s for a yet to be delivered .2 GTS4 7mt. My thinking was get the best of both worlds by consolidating to one all purpose car. When test driving the .2 it did not have the visceral feel but is more refined and a better daily (sort of) than the .1 c2s and I assumed the .2 GTS would have a little more noise and rawness than the .2 that I test drove. I thought about trading my .1 for a 7mt .1 but I'm unfortunately and stupidly way too picky on options so I didn't want to wait for the right .1 to show up. Anyhow hopeful I don't regret my decision but we will see! I think I will enjoy the .2 very much but also a HUGE fan of the .1 (seems rare around here to like both) One day hope to have a gt3/track car as weekender for more visceral feel anyway.
.2 GTS4 7MT is going to be a great ride!! I almost went for the .2 GTS2 but after driving the .2 C2S and C4S I had a hard time imagining the GTS would be that much different that I was willing to take the risk of buying site unseen and undriven. Perhaps when they are more available and I can get behind the wheel of one I'll feel differently. Some reviews say they are as fast or faster than the 997 TTS but less twitchy and more planted. Still though, some part of me would rather have the 997TTS or better yet an '09 TT w/ MT
Old 07-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Well after some comparison shopping and toying with the idea of just turning the car in, I made the decision this week to keep my 991.1S!! There just isn't anything else like it right now that checks all the boxes for me and I felt like our time together was too short and we were just getting to know each other. To celebrate, I decided to replace the P Zeroes with Michelin 4S all around and replaced my shifter with the one from Numeric Racing (both upgrades are awesome!). I use this car as my daily driver and between the daily commute, runs to the grocery store, picking up dry cleaning, etc. it does all of these duties with class and style and I couldn't be happier. Rarely is it spending time below 3k RPM and the sound of the Akra from 5-7k with the windows/sunroof cracked is just glorious IMO. I feel bad for even thinking of trading for something else but we all know how that itch sometimes goes.

By way of background, here are the basic specs of my car.
2014 C2S, 17k miles
Agate Grey over Platinum Grey interior
7MT
SPASM
Sport Chrono
PDCC
SD Steering wheel
Premium Package Plus
PDLS
Bose
Navigation
Sunroof
Carrera S wheels in silver
Aluminum interior package

Since taking ownership I've put PPF on the front clip and rear haunches as well as added the Akrapovic cat-back exhaust and the DSC sport controller, both of which transformed the car to pure perfection IMO. Just waiting for a good day to give her a full polish and detail and will post up some pics.

As an aside, I did test-drive the new 991.2 series in my search for completeness, and put some serious consideration towards the GT4 as well. While all of those cars are great in their own right, the new .2s just didn't do it for me as a package. I liked the stock SPASM suspension of the .2 more and I think Porsche has done a good job taking some of the harshness out of the .1 SPASM while maintaining or improving the handling characteristics. The steering feel of the .2 is similarly improved and no question the new steering wheel finally feels updated and modern. Turbo-lag is near zero and that instantaneous torque curve is pretty addicting. But somehow the combination of turbo induction noise, exhaust noise, and overall visceral feel of the car left me wanting. It felt to me TOO polished, TOO composed, and not engaging enough, if that's possible. It felt like a mash the pedal, go fast, and steer to keep it on the road kind of car rather than one that requires you to pay attention and work for your reward. I'm afraid Porsche has deviated quite a bit from the character of 911s of yester year. Don't get me wrong, the 991.1 that I have is no 997 and definitely no 993 of any form with re: to this characteristic but for me the .1 balances that characteristic and the comfort I'm happy with and prefer in a daily driver whereas the .2 reaches too far over the line of being too sterile for my tastes. The GT4 is a different story but alas seemed less practical as a daily despite the awesome driving experience.

In summary, the .1 has a place in my garage for a long time and I'm thankful and feel very lucky to have such a great car to enjoy in good health. Thanks for reading and making it this far! :beer:
Photo please
Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 249 Posts

Cool story.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

.2 GTS4 7MT is going to be a great ride!! I almost went for the .2 GTS2 but after driving the .2 C2S and C4S I had a hard time imagining the GTS would be that much different that I was willing to take the risk of buying site unseen and undriven. Perhaps when they are more available and I can get behind the wheel of one I'll feel differently. Some reviews say they are as fast or faster than the 997 TTS but less twitchy and more planted. Still though, some part of me would rather have the 997TTS or better yet an '09 TT w/ MT [/QUOTE]

Oh geez! I really screwed up! I really wanted a MT. PDK was fun but not nearly as much so as a MT. Now your telling me I shoulda looked at several other cars before a MT 991.2. Thanks. I won't sleep tonite.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

B Mike--I'm a big fan of both .1 and .2 cars. I loved my .1S but love my .24S a little more. I have a set of Fabspeed headers and sport cats that add the noise back in (OEM PSE wasn't as bad as some say. But still...) and also add a little more push in the back. I don't get the polarized viewpoints on the .1 v .2, the .2 is just a progression on an already great, great 911.
Can't we all just get along?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
B Mike--I'm a big fan of both .1 and .2 cars. I loved my .1S but love my .24S a little more. I have a set of Fabspeed headers and sport cats that add the noise back in (OEM PSE wasn't as bad as some say. But still...) and also add a little more push in the back. I don't get the polarized viewpoints on the .1 v .2, the .2 is just a progression on an already great, great 911.

^^^THIS
Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Thanks ski Porsche! I feel better already! Perhaps I'll need to do some light mods (not historically a mods guy) and follow your lead! Was the tab speed headers and cars worth it? Is it close to .1 sound?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
^^^THIS
Agreed 991%
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

[/QUOTE] Oh geez! I really screwed up! I really wanted a MT. PDK was fun but not nearly as much so as a MT. Now your telling me I shoulda looked at several other cars before a MT 991.2. Thanks. I won't sleep tonite. [/QUOTE]

Most important thing is you got the MT!! It's a little better than the .1 or do the GT4 or numeric racing shifter and you will be thrilled!! .2 GTS4 is one fast and fun car and you're going to enjoy it a ton. Just a matter of what you're looking for. Bottom line you can't go wrong with any of these cars. It's do you like vanilla chocolate or strawberry ice cream? Congrats and post pictures when she arrives!!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:23 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Headers, exhaust and a tune on a .2 is going to sing!!! Nice moves!!!

Quick Reply: 991.1S is staying put!