Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1S is staying put!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017 | 10:07 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
decaf--I didn't take B Mike's post as derision either. I was agreeing with him so he wouldn't feel all alone liking both cars. If I hadn't stepped up to a new .2, I would not be unhappy keeping my .1 by any measurement.
Good. Glad you didn't take it that way. Long live the .1 and .2!
Old 07-10-2017 | 12:02 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Well congratulations on a great decision.
NA motor choices continue to diminish while turbo technology is proliferating thanks to regulations and requirements for the Asian market.
Hold onto it long enough and you'll have an exotic!
Old 07-10-2017 | 07:45 AM
trysixty
Racer

smart decision....even the sales guy at my dealership in private says he would keep the 0.1 instead of going to the EU mandated 0.2. Better to be part of the G1 than the G19
Old 07-10-2017 | 09:09 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Obviously the 991.1 and 991.2 are both great cars but this is a true story. I called my SA to see about trading my 911/50 in for a new GT3. He said that even though I was a good customer he could not secure me a new GT3 allocation because the wait list was just too damn long. He texted me later and said he could get me ANY other 911 and offered me excellent trade in Value. I could have traded my almost 4 year old 911.1 for a new GTS at almost no cost with moderate options. I told him no because I was stuck on having a NA engine and so only the GT3 would fit the bill. I may consider losing the NA engine but not for a 991.2. Not enough change and I am happy with the performance and sound of my car. I will reconsider for a 992 which almost certainly will have an upgraded 991.2 engine AND the interior similar to the new Panamera. So my advice.......skip the 991.2 and wait for the 992.
Old 07-10-2017 | 04:41 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

I'm in a similar situation on my 991.1 turbo with my lease ending later this year. Nothing else really justifies turning in the car for a new one. Or I should say, only something like an allocation for a new GT3 manual perhaps, could tempt me away from buying my car at lease end. The residual is under market, I think, and while I don't have a lot invested in the car in terms of aftermarket (a Sharkwerks exhaust, a clear bra, Rennline grills and a pair of Musicar tweeters, all easily reversed, but that's work!) duplicating it on a 991.2 would cost me a bundle.
Old 07-10-2017 | 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

The only thing that could pry my .1 C2S out of my hands is a .2 GT3, and even then, I'd try to find a way to keep both. Love my car, and my build, more every time I drive it. Hoping I'm around to see it cross 100k miles someday. While I think the .2 Carreras are great cars, there isn't any configuration that gets me interested enough to spend that kind of cash on one, and these cars really need to move you emotionally to be worth the ridiculous prices.
Old 07-10-2017 | 04:52 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Need4S
I'm in a similar situation on my 991.1 turbo with my lease ending later this year. Nothing else really justifies turning in the car for a new one. Or I should say, only something like an allocation for a new GT3 manual perhaps, could tempt me away from buying my car at lease end. The residual is under market, I think, and while I don't have a lot invested in the car in terms of aftermarket (a Sharkwerks exhaust, a clear bra, Rennline grills and a pair of Musicar tweeters, all easily reversed, but that's work!) duplicating it on a 991.2 would cost me a bundle.
Yea totally agree with you here. going from .1 to .2 turbo is pretty marginal change IMO and not worth the $.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only thing that could pry my .1 C2S out of my hands is a .2 GT3, and even then, I'd try to find a way to keep both. Love my car, and my build, more every time I drive it. Hoping I'm around to see it cross 100k miles someday. While I think the .2 Carreras are great cars, there isn't any configuration that gets me interested enough to spend that kind of cash on one, and these cars really need to move you emotionally to be worth the ridiculous prices.
100k! Nice! We can see who will get there first. I'm only at 17k and this isn't my only car so it's going to be awhile Lots of people seem to think the .2 GT3 is the only car that will get them out of their .1 but I'm a little more skeptical and want to see some real-world reviews before making that call.
Old 07-10-2017 | 04:59 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Not wanting to start/continue an argument, I agree with most everything the OP said. I think I'm going to jump from my current .1 C2S to a .2 Turbo when I upgrade, if I'm buying a Porsche with a turbo then I'm buying a damn Turbo!
Old 07-10-2017 | 05:05 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Not wanting to start/continue an argument, I agree with most everything the OP said. I think I'm going to jump from my current .1 C2S to a .2 Turbo when I upgrade, if I'm buying a Porsche with a turbo then I'm buying a damn Turbo!
Amen! Now that's a solid upgrade and I'd endorse that move.
Old 07-10-2017 | 05:15 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

@titleisaddict,

Did you have the GT4 shifter at any point? I am curious on your thoughts on the Numeric VS GT4 if you had one. I am considering the numeric shifting piece. I was curious on your thoughts of the upgrade. I have your exact spec of 991.1 C2S and in San Francisco.
Old 07-10-2017 | 08:19 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joec500
@titleisaddict,

Did you have the GT4 shifter at any point? I am curious on your thoughts on the Numeric VS GT4 if you had one. I am considering the numeric shifting piece. I was curious on your thoughts of the upgrade. I have your exact spec of 991.1 C2S and in San Francisco.
Nice! We're car twins!!

I did have the GT4 shifter originally and took it off and sold it when I thought I was going to turn in the car. I liked the GT4 one, improved my 5-6-7 shifting A LOT and overall was really happy with it. Decided to try the numeric one given what a nice design it is and didn't want to buy the GT4 one again. Comparing the two I would say the numeric one is more precise and notchy, throws are even slightly shorter, though shift effort is increased over the GT4. 1-7 now feel pretty equal in terms of effort and character so the whole shift gate feels pretty symmetric throughout. If you've driven a GT4 or Spyder, it is a decent amount of increased effort compared to those in stock form. As a point of reference, I thought the original stock shifter was a big disparity between the effort of the clutch pedal and not well matched. In my opinion the clutch is on the heavier side, especially compared to newer P-cars and the shift effort I thought was sloppy and too light in comparison. Now I think they are brilliantly matched but that of course is a matter of personal preference.

Also something to be aware of, you do have to re-use your plastic spring connectors from your original shifter to install but the pop off very easily.

Overall, very happy with the upgrade compared to GT4 version but just be aware that shift effort is firm but increased over the stock and GT4 shifters. If you're happy with that then I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go!
Old 07-11-2017 | 04:16 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Nice! We're car twins!!

I did have the GT4 shifter originally and took it off and sold it when I thought I was going to turn in the car. I liked the GT4 one, improved my 5-6-7 shifting A LOT and overall was really happy with it. Decided to try the numeric one given what a nice design it is and didn't want to buy the GT4 one again. Comparing the two I would say the numeric one is more precise and notchy, throws are even slightly shorter, though shift effort is increased over the GT4. 1-7 now feel pretty equal in terms of effort and character so the whole shift gate feels pretty symmetric throughout. If you've driven a GT4 or Spyder, it is a decent amount of increased effort compared to those in stock form. As a point of reference, I thought the original stock shifter was a big disparity between the effort of the clutch pedal and not well matched. In my opinion the clutch is on the heavier side, especially compared to newer P-cars and the shift effort I thought was sloppy and too light in comparison. Now I think they are brilliantly matched but that of course is a matter of personal preference.

Also something to be aware of, you do have to re-use your plastic spring connectors from your original shifter to install but the pop off very easily.

Overall, very happy with the upgrade compared to GT4 version but just be aware that shift effort is firm but increased over the stock and GT4 shifters. If you're happy with that then I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go!
Super helpful, I have the GT4 shifter now with FF Weighted shift **** and it feels great, I will probably put that money towards half of a DSC Unit instead
Old 07-11-2017 | 10:17 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Yup. Just starting to make the GTS mine. Techart springs. DSC next month. GT4 shifter. Function First yellow plates. BMC filters. Cargraphic headers/back in Sept. 2 regrets when ordering: no aerocup wing or full leather. Will sort both out next year. Lucky that I am able to order the leather and wing from suncoast........
Old 07-11-2017 | 11:28 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Totally agree! The only reason not to, might be to get a car with a manual transmission, since the Turbo turbos are PDK only.
Old 07-11-2017 | 01:06 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joec500
Super helpful, I have the GT4 shifter now with FF Weighted shift **** and it feels great, I will probably put that money towards half of a DSC Unit instead
That's a good combo, GT4 plus the weighted shifter! I wanted to keep mine stock but I think your setup should get you very close to a great feeling and balanced shift action.

Quick Reply: 991.1S is staying put!