Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Cool story.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Well after some comparison shopping and toying with the idea of just turning the car in, I made the decision this week to keep my 991.1S!! There just isn't anything else like it right now that checks all the boxes for me and I felt like our time together was too short and we were just getting to know each other. To celebrate, I decided to replace the P Zeroes with Michelin 4S all around and replaced my shifter with the one from Numeric Racing (both upgrades are awesome!). I use this car as my daily driver and between the daily commute, runs to the grocery store, picking up dry cleaning, etc. it does all of these duties with class and style and I couldn't be happier. Rarely is it spending time below 3k RPM and the sound of the Akra from 5-7k with the windows/sunroof cracked is just glorious IMO. I feel bad for even thinking of trading for something else but we all know how that itch sometimes goes.

By way of background, here are the basic specs of my car.
2014 C2S, 17k miles
Agate Grey over Platinum Grey interior
7MT
SPASM
Sport Chrono
PDCC
SD Steering wheel
Premium Package Plus
PDLS
Bose
Navigation
Sunroof
Carrera S wheels in silver
Aluminum interior package

Since taking ownership I've put PPF on the front clip and rear haunches as well as added the Akrapovic cat-back exhaust and the DSC sport controller, both of which transformed the car to pure perfection IMO. Just waiting for a good day to give her a full polish and detail and will post up some pics.

As an aside, I did test-drive the new 991.2 series in my search for completeness, and put some serious consideration towards the GT4 as well. While all of those cars are great in their own right, the new .2s just didn't do it for me as a package. I liked the stock SPASM suspension of the .2 more and I think Porsche has done a good job taking some of the harshness out of the .1 SPASM while maintaining or improving the handling characteristics. The steering feel of the .2 is similarly improved and no question the new steering wheel finally feels updated and modern. Turbo-lag is near zero and that instantaneous torque curve is pretty addicting. But somehow the combination of turbo induction noise, exhaust noise, and overall visceral feel of the car left me wanting. It felt to me TOO polished, TOO composed, and not engaging enough, if that's possible. It felt like a mash the pedal, go fast, and steer to keep it on the road kind of car rather than one that requires you to pay attention and work for your reward. I'm afraid Porsche has deviated quite a bit from the character of 911s of yester year. Don't get me wrong, the 991.1 that I have is no 997 and definitely no 993 of any form with re: to this characteristic but for me the .1 balances that characteristic and the comfort I'm happy with and prefer in a daily driver whereas the .2 reaches too far over the line of being too sterile for my tastes. The GT4 is a different story but alas seemed less practical as a daily despite the awesome driving experience.

In summary, the .1 has a place in my garage for a long time and I'm thankful and feel very lucky to have such a great car to enjoy in good health. Thanks for reading and making it this far! :beer:

Well, way to "renew an intro"! Welcome back again

Now you need PICS all over again!!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh geez! I really screwed up! I really wanted a MT. PDK was fun but not nearly as much so as a MT. Now your telling me I shoulda looked at several other cars before a MT 991.2. Thanks. I won't sleep tonite. [/QUOTE]

Most important thing is you got the MT!! It's a little better than the .1 or do the GT4 or numeric racing shifter and you will be thrilled!! .2 GTS4 is one fast and fun car and you're going to enjoy it a ton. Just a matter of what you're looking for. Bottom line you can't go wrong with any of these cars. It's do you like vanilla chocolate or strawberry ice cream? Congrats and post pictures when she arrives!![/QUOTE]

Thanks! Will post pics for sure! Been Porsche-less for 3 months now and awaiting arrival in Aug/Sept.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm with the OP. I'm keeping mine 3.8 4S too. Also 2013 launch car with MT. After 4 Porsche TT cars, wish I kept the 997 TT, I drove a Panny for a year during a job move. Have been in the 4S for 4 years and don't see anything that pushes the "gotta have" button. I think this is a long term keeper. Did not drive the .2 but I'm sure it's great but had my fill of great P car turbos.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:58 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I'm with the OP. I'm keeping mine 3.8 4S too. Also 2013 launch car with MT. After 4 Porsche TT cars, wish I kept the 997 TT, I drove a Panny for a year during a job move. Have been in the 4S for 4 years and don't see anything that pushes the "gotta have" button. I think this is a long term keeper. Did not drive the .2 but I'm sure it's great but had my fill of great P car turbos.
How do you like your Cobb w the exhaust? I was debating getting one but w only an exhaust at this point I wasn't sure it was worth it if I wasn't going to do headers and the plenum.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 170 Posts

Well after some comparison shopping and toying with the idea of just turning the car in, I made the decision this week to keep my 991.1S!! There just isn't anything else like it right now that checks all the boxes for me and I felt like our time together was too short and we were just getting to know each other. To celebrate, I decided to replace the P Zeroes with Michelin 4S all around and replaced my shifter with the one from Numeric Racing (both upgrades are awesome!). I use this car as my daily driver and between the daily commute, runs to the grocery store, picking up dry cleaning, etc. it does all of these duties with class and style and I couldn't be happier. Rarely is it spending time below 3k RPM and the sound of the Akra from 5-7k with the windows/sunroof cracked is just glorious IMO. I feel bad for even thinking of trading for something else but we all know how that itch sometimes goes.

By way of background, here are the basic specs of my car.
2014 C2S, 17k miles
Agate Grey over Platinum Grey interior
7MT
SPASM
Sport Chrono
PDCC
SD Steering wheel
Premium Package Plus
PDLS
Bose
Navigation
Sunroof
Carrera S wheels in silver
Aluminum interior package

Since taking ownership I've put PPF on the front clip and rear haunches as well as added the Akrapovic cat-back exhaust and the DSC sport controller, both of which transformed the car to pure perfection IMO. Just waiting for a good day to give her a full polish and detail and will post up some pics.

As an aside, I did test-drive the new 991.2 series in my search for completeness, and put some serious consideration towards the GT4 as well. While all of those cars are great in their own right, the new .2s just didn't do it for me as a package. I liked the stock SPASM suspension of the .2 more and I think Porsche has done a good job taking some of the harshness out of the .1 SPASM while maintaining or improving the handling characteristics. The steering feel of the .2 is similarly improved and no question the new steering wheel finally feels updated and modern. Turbo-lag is near zero and that instantaneous torque curve is pretty addicting. But somehow the combination of turbo induction noise, exhaust noise, and overall visceral feel of the car left me wanting. It felt to me TOO polished, TOO composed, and not engaging enough, if that's possible. It felt like a mash the pedal, go fast, and steer to keep it on the road kind of car rather than one that requires you to pay attention and work for your reward. I'm afraid Porsche has deviated quite a bit from the character of 911s of yester year. Don't get me wrong, the 991.1 that I have is no 997 and definitely no 993 of any form with re: to this characteristic but for me the .1 balances that characteristic and the comfort I'm happy with and prefer in a daily driver whereas the .2 reaches too far over the line of being too sterile for my tastes. The GT4 is a different story but alas seemed less practical as a daily despite the awesome driving experience.

In summary, the .1 has a place in my garage for a long time and I'm thankful and feel very lucky to have such a great car to enjoy in good health. Thanks for reading and making it this far! :beer:
I enjoyed your story. I have a 2016 GTS with the manual tranny and I love it! The only thing I am considering swapping for would be a 991.2 GT3 with a manual tranny and the infamous 'touring package'. I was curious about your decision to go with the Akra exhaust. I know they are expensive but I bet it makes a big difference. What is your opinion now and what other exhausts did you consider?

Jim
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Holding onto my 991.1S until the 992. It seems that we will be seeing the 992 revealed next year and at that time I will decide if I'm putting an order in or seeking out a .1 or .2 991 GT3.

I'm not really an incremental upgrade person (.1 to .2) and while I like nearly everything about the new .2 better than the .1, the .1 is just a more engaging driving experience due to the NA 3.8. At least that is my opinion.

Both are amazing cars.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

B Mike & Titleist--exhaust tone for the.2 is lower, the Fabspeed system increases the volume and the way it pulls to redline. A little more volume in normal and a good deal more in sport. A P-car buddy after listening to me accelerate hard away from him with the OEM PSE in sport told me it sounded awesome. I can only assume it sounds awesom-er now ��. It sounds really good with the windows open or under an overpass.
No tune planned, I'm pretty happy with it now. Or at least as I recall since it's been trapped in my garage while the driveway's getting replaced (nearly 4 weeks with 1 1/2 weeks to go).
For me the FI motor in the .2 is quite a bit more responsive and powerful because at my altitude I lose 9-10% hp with a NA motor and only 1-2% hp with a turbocharged engine. When I was at RR IV in Monterey a couple years ago I was knocked out by the extra power of my .1 at sea level. I feel I have that here now with the .2. Maybe if I lived at low altitude I would have kept the.1 or looked for a '16 GTS as an upgrade. But man, my C4S just rips around the mountain roads.
Anyone with a 991 is fortunate indeed, I don't how they could be unhappy in any way.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
B Mike--I'm a big fan of both .1 and .2 cars. I loved my .1S but love my .24S a little more. I have a set of Fabspeed headers and sport cats that add the noise back in (OEM PSE wasn't as bad as some say. But still...) and also add a little more push in the back. I don't get the polarized viewpoints on the .1 v .2, the .2 is just a progression on an already great, great 911.
Can't we all just get along?
I didn't take his post as a derision on the .2 in any way??
Old 07-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks. Certainly was not meant to be. I've got a .2 on order (and traded a .1).
Old 07-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

How do you like your Cobb w the exhaust? I was debating getting one but w only an exhaust at this point I wasn't sure it was worth it if I wasn't going to do headers and the plenum.
First, love the Kline exhaust could not be happier. I really like the Cobb. I have tuned 2 other Porsche TT's which were awesome and very drivable. I knew going in that an NA car would not be the same transformation. I do like the better throttle response and I feel the power comes on earlier and a little more top end pull. I am happy with it based on my expectations.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

decaf--I didn't take B Mike's post as derision either. I was agreeing with him so he wouldn't feel all alone liking both cars. If I hadn't stepped up to a new .2, I would not be unhappy keeping my .1 by any measurement.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
consistent with every other pissing contest on here... the OP stated his opinions in a very fair manner. He gave credit to the many advances on the new car, yet stated what he likes about the 991.1.

Owning any of these is an emotional choice and there are no graphs or data to "prove" which one we each connect with.

long live the 991.1!!!

Great post and many of us (me!) feel the exact same. I can't wait to get a job to start tinkering with mine some more...
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I wrestled with the same idea. I considered a GT3 trade, and then my dealer offered me their upcoming gts allocation. Something about the 991.1 Carreras hit the sweet spot between being a bit analogue as well as modern. The new cars are faster, but maybe less "emotional?" I probably would buy a 991.2 gts if I didn't have a 991.1. I also am keeping mine.

I bought a new set of wheels and am shopping for some other enhancements also. Did you have headers planned? I was reading magic rats review of the fabspeed headers and it looks like they give the torque the .1 could benefit from.
Headers are a great mod and would transform the car further but I worry about warranty related issues. Once the warranty period is over though definitely something I would consider. Should work hand in hand w the exhaust to maximize gains, just not sure I want to go down that road yet. Pretty happy with how she is now!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R_Rated
consistent with every other pissing contest on here... the OP stated his opinions in a very fair manner. He gave credit to the many advances on the new car, yet stated what he likes about the 991.1.

Owning any of these is an emotional choice and there are no graphs or data to "prove" which one we each connect with.

long live the 991.1!!!

Great post and many of us (me!) feel the exact same. I can't wait to get a job to start tinkering with mine some more...
Well said! Couldn't be more thankful everyday to have one of these in the garage.

Quick Reply: 991.1S is staying put!