Sponsored by:

PSA: emissions testing fail!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PSA: emissions testing fail!

I have a Cobb access port, and love the tune for my 991.1. In Connecticut the car needs the mission testing every two years. Essentially they plug something into the OBD 2 port and determine if all the emissions components are functional. $20 for the trouble.

I contacted COBB in advance and they advised uninstalling before testing. I did so, and drove to properly to the testing station the next day, probably 2 miles or less.

Anyway, the car failed because none of the mission controls had enough time to reset themselves after the ECU was re-flashed. The guy at the testing station asked me if I had replaced the battery. Of course!

I drove it for a few days, probably 100 miles, and had it re-tested today, and passed no problem.

Hopefully someone else can avoid this hassle in the future.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:46 AM
MYAMI
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you got this solved. O2 readiness is a PITA.

To complete the PSA, O2 sensors require 30-50 miles of varied driving before they will show as "Ready". This goes for any hard reset to your ECU (i.e., reflash, battery swap, etc.).
Old 07-07-2017, 03:07 PM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the DME update from the dealership? Mine failed smog until I had an DME update.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Had the same issue on a car I bought from out of state where the battery had run low. Took about 20 minutes of freeway driving to get it to reset.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Roberttran: no there was nothing actually wrong with the car and everything was functioning normally. It's just a quirk of the electronics that it takes some driving after resetting the ECU to get everything to register properly for the emissions inspection.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I have a Cobb access port, and love the tune for my 991.1. In Connecticut the car needs the mission testing every two years. Essentially they plug something into the OBD 2 port and determine if all the emissions components are functional. $20 for the trouble.

I contacted COBB in advance and they advised uninstalling before testing. I did so, and drove to properly to the testing station the next day, probably 2 miles or less.

Anyway, the car failed because none of the mission controls had enough time to reset themselves after the ECU was re-flashed. The guy at the testing station asked me if I had replaced the battery. Of course!

I drove it for a few days, probably 100 miles, and had it re-tested today, and passed no problem.

Hopefully someone else can avoid this hassle in the future.
A quick search will show a ton of threads about resetting the sensors. The procedure is detailed and not to exceed 3,000 RPM:

Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear* for approx 5 mins.

^^^^ must be done twice
Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
A quick search will show a ton of threads about resetting the sensors. The procedure is detailed and not to exceed 3,000 RPM:

Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear* for approx 5 mins.

^^^^ must be done twice
When do you get out and hop on one leg?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:28 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
When do you get out and hop on one leg?
During the " repeatedly tap the top of your head with one palm while continuously rubbing your belly in circles with your other palm " ECU readaptation-to-OEM phase

Quick Reply: PSA: emissions testing fail!