Sponsored by:

991.1 Base vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Aren't the 2012.5 models an earlier PCM version? I remember seeing something about that when I was looking in to a reversing camera for my C4S cab.
2012.5 don't have cameras but do have parking sensors and beeping. Other than that, no difference. Mechanically no different through 2016.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks. Perhaps I'll start looking at 2012.5's. I feel like the biggest PITA for that is what makes buying it annoying, i.e having to sift through a bunch of 997's, and the confusion of "aren't 2012 911's 997's?"

I usually try to avoid the first 6 months or so of a new build, but if it's as solid as the rest, I'll definitely consider it.

.... Come to think of it.... If I can score a 2012.5 "S" for the price of a 2014 Base.... That may be good enough right there [rushes to Autotrader....].
Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
2012.5 don't have cameras but do have parking sensors and beeping. Other than that, no difference. Mechanically no different through 2016.
Jukebox (the internal hard drive that you can load music onto) was also not available on the 2012.5, either. Aerokit cup, duck, and X51 Powerkit were also available as options starting in 2013.

But yes, mechanically no different than the 2016's.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 AM
K-A
Drifting

Alright, one other question for you guys.

I'm looking at two 991.1 CS's right now. Both manual, both the same color, no sunroofs same interior color, both upgraded wheels.

Car #1: 2013 with 12K miles, owner is extremely detailed and knowledgable and says car is absolutely flawless, has worked for Porsche corporate so takes care of it as such, and seems to be the ideal person to buy your 911 from. Car barely driven, 1 owner, full frontal clear bra wrap ($thousands), new aftermarket warranty for 3 years (only applies as a bonus if it's transferrable), and 4 way seats (which is actually better for me since they sit lower). Only options are heated seats, PSE. That's it. Services all up to date (except brakes nor tires have been changed, apparently both in good condition). He says it's absolutely perfect.

Car #2: 2014 with 16K miles. 2 owners (he bought it two years ago from a non-Porsche dealer). The current owner is also very knowledgeable and detailed in how he's cared for the car. Also never drives it. Maybe not as meticulous in detail and presentation as owner #1, but still very well informed and cares a lot about his car, washes it himself as well, and follows "forum etiquette" in how to proper take care of his 911. This one has 2 small rock chips but otherwise apparently perfect. The wheels are platinum (which I like), markers are already swapped with clears. It has 14 way seats (technically good, but sit a bit higher), Premium Package Plus (so interior ambient lighting, etc.), PDLS, crests on the headrest, heated/cooled seats, Bose. Has FACTORY warranty until March of 2018.

Car #1 is closer to me so won't need me to take a flight out to see it (just a long drive), and then pay to ship it.

Car #2 has a lot more options, is one year newer, a little more miles, but car #1 has PSE which is maybe my most enticing option. If car #2 had PSE, it would be a no contest.

Both are listed over KBB. Car #1 is listed more expensively, and will probably cost more to buy by a few or so grand. But let's say I can get either of them for mid to high $60's (maaybe low $60's on car #2).

Any opinions?
Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 AM
K-A
Drifting

OR, a bone standard (which is already more than perfectly well equipped if you ask me) brand new Macan GTS (with red interior.... drool) for about the same price as those cars. But I'd have to order it and (again) have to wait months....

Decisions....

Quick Reply: 991.1 Base vs Cayman GTS