Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Base vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:37 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

There's no freaking way I'd get a stripper 911 base instead of a Cayman GTS for about the same dough. And no way a stripper 911 base would depreciate less than a GTS. Maybe the same, but not less, so depreciation is not a reason at all to buy either one. There's nothing special about a base, especially stripped. A similarly loaded 911 would be the better question, but you have to like that car more, and have the means to buy it. A Cayman GTS is the better driving car of the 2 (mid-engine feel, balance, and lightness), and the better looking too, at least for me. But a 911 GTS is the better car. I'd never consider a base 911, especially stripped, and with an ugly plastic dash, no PSE, etc. But to each his own.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Blah Blah - who cares about a leather dash when you're driving?

If you're after aesthetics then get a base will full leather. Once you get into a Porsche of any kind, the quality is so far above anything else that any options are very small & incremental changes that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. if you have the budget then go for it but it's not going to make some huge difference in ownership either way.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would never order expensive aesthetic options, but my point was they add very little in the cost of a used car.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I would never order expensive aesthetic options, but my point was they add very little in the cost of a used car.
This is soooo true. Most used car price calculators can't comprehend the exhaustive list of options from Porsche anyway. Look up Edmunds, NADA, KBB, etc and there is little difference outside of Base - S - GTS. Dealers go by these calculators for data. Any loaded up Porsche is going to severely depreciate on the used market because of this.

Now- it is a way more prudent thought to get the trim that has most of what you want as standard when new, but used you can get a better value by getting an optioned up car since the options depreciate the most as stated by many others and data backs up.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:24 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not entirely true, I asked the dealer I bought from and they go by auction pricing, which does account for some options. At the very least, a well optioned car will sell faster, so if you find one, jump on it.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
None of the Caymans built to date will ever be 'classics' in the Porsche world over the long term, especially the non-GT4/Spyders, so I would exclude that from your thought process. Other than that, buy what you want to drive. They're both likely to depreciate like a falling rock.
I guess as long as they "outperform" the resale on my Macan S, I'll feel like I'm coming out ahead in that regard. And I'm more than confident they will. In 2.5 years and just 15K miles, my Macan only lost $10K from the price of the car itself (excluding tax + license, etc.), and I bought it when they weren't discounting it at all (I managed to get a little one). It held its value very well, but being a mass market 4 door, I know that it'll eventually just depreciate into a black hole. For the sake of comparison on the topic, I don't think any 991 911 or Cayman GTS will go under a certain amount (i.e they don't race to $15K like most cars do), and if maaybe, just maybe they might see an increase in the future (depending on how much the N/A factor will play, or how the market views ICE sports cars in an EV world), that's simply a bonus. But I'm sure I'll be long gone from them by that point as I seem to have automotive ADD.

Originally Posted by rai
Regarding headroom that is something to consider. Perhaps you could swap to an aftermarket seat to get better headroom.

I owned a S2000 didn't want to sell but the room (leg room) for me made me sell it my leg was developing a numb spot because of the way the center tunnel pressed into my leg. Had I know or thought of it, I could have got an aftermarket seat to fix the problem.

I'm just saying don't buy a car you don't fit in well or you may not like it after time, but also if you could fix the room with a seat swap that is also something to consider.
I have considered that. It would make my search MUCH easier if I could consider sunroof cars. Issue with swapping seats for racing buckets is cost (I'm sure not cheap) and I have no guarantee it'll free up *enough* headroom until I actually put it into the car and sit in it. So kind of a risk. In theory, it should work, but I'm thinking finding a non-sunroof, PITA as it is, is the safest bet. Fortunately, I couldn't care less about a sunroof and prefer the added rigidity, less complexity and lighter weight at the most crucial part of the car, anyways.

Originally Posted by elp_jc
There's no freaking way I'd get a stripper 911 base instead of a Cayman GTS for about the same dough. And no way a stripper 911 base would depreciate less than a GTS. Maybe the same, but not less, so depreciation is not a reason at all to buy either one. There's nothing special about a base, especially stripped. A similarly loaded 911 would be the better question, but you have to like that car more, and have the means to buy it. A Cayman GTS is the better driving car of the 2 (mid-engine feel, balance, and lightness), and the better looking too, at least for me. But a 911 GTS is the better car. I'd never consider a base 911, especially stripped, and with an ugly plastic dash, no PSE, etc. But to each his own.
I hear ya. To me, the 911 in itself is the "event." But I agree that the Cayman GTS is more of a technical event, at least in terms of options. PASM, PSE, interior materials, etc. all sway into its favor. You also get black, bigger wheels than a standard 991, more dressy exterior bits.

But honestly, just a few key options on a base 991 and it squashes those advantages to me. But a completely stock 991 with bland options like cooled seats and absolutely NO fun stuff? I agree, the Cayman GTS just "feels" more enticing. They're so close, I go back and forth.

I do really want to own a 911, it's my ultimate. Cayman isn't too far behind. But I do want my 991 to have some fun stuff on it.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A

I have considered that. It would make my search MUCH easier if I could consider sunroof cars. Issue with swapping seats for racing buckets is cost (I'm sure not cheap) and I have no guarantee it'll free up *enough* headroom until I actually put it into the car and sit in it. So kind of a risk. In theory, it should work, but I'm thinking finding a non-sunroof, PITA as it is, is the safest bet. Fortunately, I couldn't care less about a sunroof and prefer the added rigidity, less complexity and lighter weight at the most crucial part of the car, anyways.

If you're considering a Cayman at all then I wouldn't worry the least bit at the headroom in a sunroof 991. A 991 with a sunroof will have substantially more headroom than any cayman. If it's going to be a track rat then who cares about the options.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really concerned about values or investment, but having a .1 GTS and a CGTS makes a tough decision when picking which one to drive. I love my 911 but every time I drive my wife's CGTS it reminds me what a great car it is.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:54 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jbgill6535
Not really concerned about values or investment, but having a .1 GTS and a CGTS makes a tough decision when picking which one to drive. I love my 911 but every time I drive my wife's CGTS it reminds me what a great car it is.
NICE! I would love some kind of detailed analysis about where each car shines, having both at your grasp.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Beautiful collection! And great taste in colors. I just traded a GT Silver 991 GTS for a Camine Red GT4. So they were never in my garage at the same time, but it would have looked just like that.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

At the end of the day it depends what you value - If you value handling, the 981 GTS easily outperforms the 991.1 base, its also lighter and sounds better by a country mile (if you worry about sound).

Power to weight base Carrera = 247 HP/tonne, 981 GTS =247HP/tonne

The interior in the 981 GTS is the same as that found in the 991.1 GTS.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Beautiful collection! And great taste in colors. I just traded a GT Silver 991 GTS for a Camine Red GT4. So they were never in my garage at the same time, but it would have looked just like that.
i remember seeing your GTS when I was hunting for mine and it made the wait even more difficult. Congrats on the GT4! They are truly special to drive and Carmine red really suits the shape and lines of the Caymans. I was in your area last year at the PEC and Petite Le Mans on the way to the TOTD and am really envious of the roads you are close to.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A
NICE! I would love some kind of detailed analysis about where each car shines, having both at your grasp.
The 911 was the car that I had dreamed of owning since I grew up in Jacksonville and would ask my dad to stop by the Brumo's dealership for me to look at cars. It was the poster on my walls as a kid and the car I always promised myself I would own one day. The first one I bought was a '13 C4S, which I bought because I was impatient while searching for a GT silver GTS in the exact spec I wanted. I loved the C4S, but when I was in it, it conveyed more of a sense of "luxury" to me. I loved the car and the handling but traded it four months later when I found the GTS. My wife and i drove the C4S from New Orleans to Cleveland to pick up the car and made a vacation out of it. My thoughts after driving the C4S and then the GTS back to back, were that the GTS did not feel like a "luxury car" but was a little more on the "hardcore" side. Not as much so as the GT3, which I have driven, but notably more so than the C4S. The character of the car was influenced by the sum of all of the small changes made to make it a "GTS". Although some claim it is merely a trim level or parts bin car, I believe that having time behind it and any other Carrera is enough to notice the difference.

My wife always loved driving my car and after driving a poorly cared for Cayman GTS at a used car lot, she decided that she wanted to trade her F10 535 for one. She settled on Carmine red, wanted PDK for traffic as it was her DD, and wanted an interior like my GTS, so I began the search. After 6 months, we found her exact spec and had the car shipped in.

The Cayman felt almost identical to the 911 due to the interior specs. All controls, buttons, and switches were the same, minus the two extra gauges on the dash. Starting the Cayman, it has the familiar flat 6 bark, but I find the overall engine noise to be quiet, as my 911 has a Switchpath exhaust. She, on the other hand, doesn't want it to sound like my 911. Handling, as I think everyone will agree, is where the Cayman sets itself apart from the 911. This example was speced with the X73 sport suspension, which I was told by others would be too harsh of a ride. Despite our roads being flat and in relatively better shape than those found in the city, I was somewhat worried that she would agree. Fourtunately, I was wrong, and it has never been an issue. Having the sport suspension puts an already excellent handling platform on another level, continually amazing me with what feels like never ending levels of grip and balance. The steering feel is weighted, more so than my 911, and almost as communicative as the hydraulic unit on my previous E90 M3. Overall the Cayman feels much smaller, more nimble and planted, and almost as quick as my 911. But, it isn't a 911. I don't believe in the old thoughts of the Cayman being a "poor mans Porsche " but if you grew up dreaming of owning a 911 then the Cayman obviously won't be the one you would choose.

I am lucky that I have an opportunity to appreciate both on a daily basis and lt is fun creating excuses to leave the house and having to make a decision about which one to drive. I can't say I personally would chose a "base" Carrera over a Cayman GTS, but neither would be an bad choice. Good luck on your hunt.
The following users liked this post:
eleow21 (03-02-2021)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:03 PM
K-A
Drifting

The 911 was the car that I had dreamed of owning since I grew up in Jacksonville and would ask my dad to stop by the Brumo's dealership for me to look at cars. It was the poster on my walls as a kid and the car I always promised myself I would own one day. The first one I bought was a '13 C4S, which I bought because I was impatient while searching for a GT silver GTS in the exact spec I wanted. I loved the C4S, but when I was in it, it conveyed more of a sense of "luxury" to me. I loved the car and the handling but traded it four months later when I found the GTS. My wife and i drove the C4S from New Orleans to Cleveland to pick up the car and made a vacation out of it. My thoughts after driving the C4S and then the GTS back to back, were that the GTS did not feel like a "luxury car" but was a little more on the "hardcore" side. Not as much so as the GT3, which I have driven, but notably more so than the C4S. The character of the car was influenced by the sum of all of the small changes made to make it a "GTS". Although some claim it is merely a trim level or parts bin car, I believe that having time behind it and any other Carrera is enough to notice the difference.

My wife always loved driving my car and after driving a poorly cared for Cayman GTS at a used car lot, she decided that she wanted to trade her F10 535 for one. She settled on Carmine red, wanted PDK for traffic as it was her DD, and wanted an interior like my GTS, so I began the search. After 6 months, we found her exact spec and had the car shipped in.

The Cayman felt almost identical to the 911 due to the interior specs. All controls, buttons, and switches were the same, minus the two extra gauges on the dash. Starting the Cayman, it has the familiar flat 6 bark, but I find the overall engine noise to be quiet, as my 911 has a Switchpath exhaust. She, on the other hand, doesn't want it to sound like my 911. Handling, as I think everyone will agree, is where the Cayman sets itself apart from the 911. This example was speced with the X73 sport suspension, which I was told by others would be too harsh of a ride. Despite our roads being flat and in relatively better shape than those found in the city, I was somewhat worried that she would agree. Fourtunately, I was wrong, and it has never been an issue. Having the sport suspension puts an already excellent handling platform on another level, continually amazing me with what feels like never ending levels of grip and balance. The steering feel is weighted, more so than my 911, and almost as communicative as the hydraulic unit on my previous E90 M3. Overall the Cayman feels much smaller, more nimble and planted, and almost as quick as my 911. But, it isn't a 911. I don't believe in the old thoughts of the Cayman being a "poor mans Porsche " but if you grew up dreaming of owning a 911 then the Cayman obviously won't be the one you would choose.

I am lucky that I have an opportunity to appreciate both on a daily basis and lt is fun creating excuses to leave the house and having to make a decision about which one to drive. I can't say I personally would chose a "base" Carrera over a Cayman GTS, but neither would be an bad choice. Good luck on your hunt.
Wow, amazing, thank you! I gotta be honest, if it weren't for my headroom requirements, that would be about enough to convince me into the CGTS.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Yup. That is definitely an issue. I had a neighbor who is a tall guy that bought a Cayman S. Traded it pretty quickly for a 911 due to size issues as well. I'm fortunate to not have that problem.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Base vs Cayman GTS