Sponsored by:

What would you have done differently?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Nothing so far, I'm with bwiele (who keeps showing off his beautiful Targa GTS )

There was two regrets I thought I would have but I actually don't:

1) I thought I would regret getting a 991.2 instead of a CPO 991.1 for the NA engine versus the turbocharged engine. I was very close to buying a CPO 991.1 C2, but I've been fortunate enough to have only owned cars new and that actually meant more to me than I thought it would sitting in that CPO'd car with 13k miles on the odometer. That meant I would give up the amazing 3.4L NA engine that I loved for how it sounded and how it was "slow" enough that you could wind it out driving on regular roads without going "too" fast, but having a brand new car is just an awesome feeling. And the instant torque and surge of power on the new 3 liter engines is just addictive and sick. I already feel like my base C4 is overpowered and I have to be extremely careful in spirited driving situations, I can't even imagine the C2S/C4S/GTS turbo'd engines.

2) I thought I might end up regretting leasing my .2 C4 now instead of just going for what I really wanted and pull the trigger on a 991.1 GT3, but it's actually worked out for me as I wanted to wait to see if I have a shot in hell in getting a 991.2 GT3 allocation for euro delivery first and my C4 has exceeded my expectations especially after the mixed reviews came out of the 991.2. If I can't get that euro delivery on the .2 GT3, I'll hunt for a babied .1 GT3 that hopefully feels like-new

She's a beauty and I will enjoy her for the 2 years I have her, then I will get scratch an item off the bucket list and get my GT3.

Ah and pictures of my awesome C4:
Just curious: why a C4 on Oahu? Mauka showers?
Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Not a thing. But it's our 1st Porsche so my thinking will probably evolve over time.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What would you have done differently ?

I wouldn't have hidden Hoffas body near the Lincoln monument. I thought it would be ironic and amusing at the time. Looking back, it seems a little ill conceived.

Hoping I didn't misunderstand the thread title.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:39 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have gotten the 18-way instead of 14-way seats for better lateral support.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
I wouldn't have hidden Hoffas body near the Lincoln monument. I thought it would be ironic and amusing at the time. Looking back, it seems a little ill conceived.

Hoping I didn't misunderstand the thread title.
That was YOU??? I busted a gut at the time, thinking to myself, "What if, just WHAT IF, it was the Pope that killed Hoffa?" Who knew???
Old 07-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
That was YOU??? I busted a gut at the time, thinking to myself, "What if, just WHAT IF, it was the Pope that killed Hoffa?" Who knew???
sent you a PM. Off topic and unrelated. Again.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:18 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought mine used and therefore didn't have much to do with the initial configuration.... but if were to order a new one

1. For a cab a rear camera is essential
2. I really wish I had LCA
3. It would definitely have to have PSE - although I did add that later
4. I get the exact color and interior I wanted instead of what I was happy to accept
Old 07-04-2017, 05:24 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly

2. I really wish I had LCA
Don't all 9/11 have lower control arms?
Old 07-04-2017, 05:35 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Regrets:

1) I didn't get steering column casing wrapped in leather.

2) I got alcantara sun visors from the factory - I wish I had left them alone, then ordered them later from Suncoast sans ugly airbag warning labels.

3) I got the painted side skirts - I don't wash the car often enough (heresy! I know!) and the GT silver paint shows more dirt than if they were left unpainted.

4) I didn't get the adaptive cruise control and now wish I had.

5) I didn't "delete model designation' - it's a whole lot of busy letters and I like the cleaner look of simply PORSCHE on the rear.

So for my next build - it'll be perfect! Really!

P.S. One more regret - I didn't get the Turbo S.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am disappointed with Bose. $30 Apple EarPods are better. Hopefully the tweeter group buy upgrade will help. Otherwise I don't miss anything on my low option build. I'm glad I got the paint and wheels coated. I do wish Porsche would change a couple of things: (1) restore the PCM, fan, and button settings on restart, (2) provide an option to turn off the Sport mode backfire, (3) improve engine sound. But all of this is minor, as the engine and driving dynamics improvements are really enjoyable on my back roads.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:27 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Don't all 9/11 have lower control arms?
Hey.... that may be why I can't come close to the lap record at VIR
Old 07-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikeearly
1. For a cab a rear camera is essential
I had an aftermarket rear camera installed in my cab. A lot of the 991.1's have a PCM that's new enough to accept video signal from a rear camera. The main thing I'm missing is the guide overlay showing where the car's going to go, but I don't feel like I need it.

Be aware that you still need to do head checks before backing out, the rear camera helps, but there's stuff to the side that's still out of view.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't hear any peeps from "got the manual wish I got a PDK" folk.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:58 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

If I could do it again I would probably go GTS. Don't much care for the black accents, the wide body (very subtle on the 991), or the marginal performance benefit...but the resale on the GTS models is phenomenal. Not quite GT car phenomenal but sill far better than the C2S I bought.

Oh I'd also probably pass on S-PASM. The marginal improvement in handling is just not worth the degradation in ride quality. Having driven PASM and S-PASM back to back I feel that the ride quality declines about 60% and the handling improves 5%. I have heard the 991.2 SPASM ride better so perhaps my observation only applies to the .1.

NF
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I don't hear any peeps from "got the manual wish I got a PDK" folk.
Ah, the time-honored art of poo-stirring. Since what we really need is yet another flamewar about PDK vs. manual.

As I'm sure you're well aware, the main reason is because the pool of people who experiment with manual when they really wanted PDK is zero. The people who want PDK get PDK. It's readily available, and there's no particular draw to manual beyond the kinesthetic pleasure. Unlike automatic vs. manual, the fuel efficiency, speed, and performance arguments are all on the PDK side.

Manual drivers get PDK either because they couldn't find a manual, or because they wanted to experiment with the convenience or performance advantages. That's sure why I transitioned to PDK after 17 years of driving 6-speed.

Quick Reply: What would you have done differently?