Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Vs Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017 | 01:38 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by white924s
Perhaps it's poor form for me to come here and say this, but as much as people say that 911s will outperform Caymans, my base Cayman sure passes a lot of 911's on the track
No its not poor form , its completely accurate. You pretty much have to be in a Porsche with RAS to out handle a 981GTS/718S. On track you get the non RAS and non GT cars out of the way as fast as possible and its relatively easy to do.

Testing std fig 8
918 - 22.2s
991 GT3 - 22.8s
991 GT3RS - 22.8s
991.2 TTS - 22.9s
991.2 S - 23.1s
997 TTS - 22.9s
997 GT3RS - 23.4s
718 S - 23.5s
981 GT4 - 23.5s
458 ITALIA - 23.6s
991.2 base - 23.7s
981 GTS - 23.8s
991.1 4S - 23.9s
997 GT3 - 24.0s
981 S - 24.1s
991.1 S - 24.2s

Personally, I would take a 718S over a 991.1 base or S (unless you needed 4 seats).

Last edited by randr; 07-04-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2017 | 02:43 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Correct - one of my favorite track stories is of a loudmouth with a 350Ztt and a dyno sheet with >1000hp... 22" wheels and ginormous stereo - stock brakes and suspension... talking smack about my volvo that was there with Euro car and Eurotuner for a test and shoot.... Wanted to race for money and got him to double down on his bet when I offered to race in a 200ish bhp spec miata. Set the rules that it was a 5 lap race and only lap 5 counted. He never paid me and left shortly after witha very bruised ego. His brakes were so toasted I was concerned about his drive home.
Haha that's awesome!
Old 07-04-2017 | 01:32 PM
phow
Pro

I was actually considering a 981s/gts before I picked up my 991.1s. As others have said, the 981 feels smaller, lighter and more go cart-ish than the 991. It's a very fun car.

The 991 was just the better all around option for myself. If I was looking for a toy purely for weekend driving, I would definitely consider a 981 GTS or GT4. I had a recent opportunity to drive the new 718 and I wasn't that impressed. Probably for the same reasons that I prefer the 991.1 to the new 991.2.

Either way, it all comes down to preference and definitely do yourself a favor and drive them all. My local Porsche dealer literally threw me the keys to whatever I wanted to drive that was on the lot. It was a lot of fun and at the end of the day, I was confident in my buying decision.
Old 07-05-2017 | 12:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

I'd echo that one...I have had multiple 991's to include 996,
997.1 and 997.2 and then traded my 997.2 C4S for a 981 Cayman S.
I spec'd and ordered that car from the factory and the Cayman was a great daily driver and all around car. Functionality can't be beat as some mention with the rear hatch and I could just get things in it and that I would need on a daily basis more easily than my 911's. It drove like it was on rails and the term go-kart does correspond to how it drives and responds.
I also drove one a the Porsche Driving School and a Boxster S back in 2014 and can say they are super responsive. Don't believe me??
Porsche I think even did a commercial of a driver running a 981 Cayman GTS I think thru its paces in an indoor go kart track (loved that video)....but in the end when I walked by a 991.1 C4S in my local dealer which they were trying to sell at an end of year discount it did get me thinking and asking..hmmm what about the 991 which I had previously discounted as not a huge step up from my 997.2 C4S which I had at the time before the 981 Cayman S.

SO What happened you ask? Much of the same...my dealer got in a lightly used 991.1 S a few days after my 991.1 C4S walk by and in the same color and interior as my Cayman S...outfitted pretty much as I would hav ordered the car myself option wise and after a few discussions and back and forth a trade was done. Do I miss the 981...yes at times I do...but the 991 is the larger and faster car and I do find driving it less tiring especially over time/distance than the 981. That mid engine sitting right behind you especially that NA engine singing does sound great but can get tiring over long drives and under certain circumstances...I recall one reason why my wife didn't like driving in the 997 with me was that she said it was so loud/noisy inside...in the 991 she doesn't say that at all.
It does have a bit more GT'ish in its DNA I think.
I'd compare the two as the 981 being more cosey and cockpit like...like a set of good running shoes that a good for most things/activities while the 991 provides the same but maybe is more like a good set of driving shoes that fit very comfortably both on the track and off and can be good all around. The 991 just has more space and if that is important to you then consider it as well. Inside the Cayman it was the passenger seat or behind the seat or the hatch but that wasn't useful for things I needed while driving. C4S if you have to deal with snow/weather great option but I had one in San Antonio and really didn't need it...when I moved to Seattle...yep enjoyed and am happy to have had it. Was it a deal breaker nope as many have said but a consideration yes as I think the C4S versions are some of the most planted Carreras out there.

Bottom like I think is to look at the car and why you want it and what it means and you can afford. 991.1 v 991.2 is a question too so drive them all/both just be advised that there will only be a few CPO'd 991.2 cars out there within your price range at this time...I have seen a few but not many as the car is still so new it seems. Lots of 981's avail especially now that the 718's are out. Decision will be how will the Cayman whether 981 or 718 compare in your life vs a 991.1 or maybe 991.2...lost of options and variables to consider. For me a part also was that I am no in my 40's and the 991 was also the more mature option for me vs the Cayman and I could afford either.
It is an icon for a reason and will likely continue so...if its all about stats..hell BGB Motorsports down in Fl will put a 991 engine in whatever Cayman/Boxster you like for reasonable $$ and you'll thrash most 991 and almost all 997s other than the RS models you come across.
Like I said...its about decisions....and perspective.
Good luck to the OP!
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I've had a 981 Cayman S and now this 991.1 C2S. Many of these comments are right on. I'd offer a 991.1 GTS but have not been able to find one with my option preferences.
The 991.1 does feel more planted and faster. The 911 front cabin area is a bit larger, and it's also a bit easier to get my big shoes in and out. It feels larger and maybe a touch more luxurious. Also owning a Cayenne and a Macan since retiring 3-1/2 years ago, I can also tell you the Bose sounds a bit better, the larger the cabin. All 4 of them had the Bose option and the sound quality definitely improves as the interior gets bigger. The Cayman model feels a bit smaller with a bit less power, and a bit looser than the comparable 991.1 model. But don't get me wrong, I loved my Cayman S. It was agile, quick and well balanced, and easy to control.
My eyes can't take the sun in an open top Boxster or a 911 Cab or Targa. The lack of a dark glass sunroof option on the Cayman is a bummer for me. I love driving with it tilted up in back, except on the Interstates, and it helps cool the car when parked in the sun and when taking off after parking for a while.
You could buy an awesome almost new CPO Cayman GTS at the bottom of your budget range and most late model CPO 991.1's would also fit in your budget range. The choice is yours. They are both great Porsche sports cars.
Old 07-05-2017 | 01:30 AM
jbarrios504
Intermediate

Thanks folks, I appreciate the thoughts and comments. It helped me come down to the 991.1 vs 991.2. At this point, I am thinking a nicely optioned S or GTS - if a 4S is there and with the options, it might of been meant for me from the PGods.. haha (since I do like the wide body). I will do CPO on either and possibly an extended warranty. So over the next few months, Ill be on the lookout and driving until the car doesn't allow me to get out of it.

Since I had a Cayman before, I remember the space was good for a single guy with a dog. . Now, I have a wife and eventually a kiddo and will probably need the space.

A couple of things that helped me decide was:
1. Space considerations "car seats fit" in a 991.. (however, the wife asked if the 911 had rear drink holders.. LOL )
2. Probably wont drive in ice/snow, unless something crazy is going on in the world - I agree with snow tires, if we ever move out of the DFW area.
3. Any of the cars would perform nicely on the streets, so the performance of the 2 wasn't that big of a deal, at least to me. Coming home from business trips and driving rental cars or even my wifes lexus hybrid, im sure ill be happy.
4. Price points overlap, but this was hard. Im not cheap, but I am a worst case scenario guy, so why spend the extra if you dont have to. But I think this is a good time to go ahead and pull the trigger and treat myself. We could go at any time,
5. An occasional road trip, I remember driving the Cayman to New Orleans from Dallas and after the drive, my body was exhausted. I mean doing 120+ on the interstate (hypothetically speaking of course) Shout out to Valentine-1 also.. Based one of the opinions, seems like the 911 the occasional long drive to Lafayette, La would be nice and comfy.
Old 07-05-2017 | 07:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

I find it a bit "unfair" to compare the 991.1 S and Cayman S/GTS. Nor realistic considering market prices.

I too am looking at both cars, but 981 Cayman GTS's and 991.1 Base cars, as they're priced nearly identically (991.1 S cars are considerably more).

Do people's opinions change when debating a 991.1 Base (with or without performance options) or a 981 GTS?
Old 07-05-2017 | 07:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9980...fferently.html

Read post 5 from GT3 owner.
Old 07-05-2017 | 07:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by jbarrios504
Thanks folks, I appreciate the thoughts and comments. It helped me come down to the 991.1 vs 991.2. At this point, I am thinking a nicely optioned S or GTS - if a 4S is there and with the options, it might of been meant for me from the PGods.. haha (since I do like the wide body). I will do CPO on either and possibly an extended warranty. So over the next few months, Ill be on the lookout and driving until the car doesn't allow me to get out of it.

Since I had a Cayman before, I remember the space was good for a single guy with a dog. . Now, I have a wife and eventually a kiddo and will probably need the space.

A couple of things that helped me decide was:
1. Space considerations "car seats fit" in a 991.. (however, the wife asked if the 911 had rear drink holders.. LOL )
2. Probably wont drive in ice/snow, unless something crazy is going on in the world - I agree with snow tires, if we ever move out of the DFW area.
3. Any of the cars would perform nicely on the streets, so the performance of the 2 wasn't that big of a deal, at least to me. Coming home from business trips and driving rental cars or even my wifes lexus hybrid, im sure ill be happy.
4. Price points overlap, but this was hard. Im not cheap, but I am a worst case scenario guy, so why spend the extra if you dont have to. But I think this is a good time to go ahead and pull the trigger and treat myself. We could go at any time,
5. An occasional road trip, I remember driving the Cayman to New Orleans from Dallas and after the drive, my body was exhausted. I mean doing 120+ on the interstate (hypothetically speaking of course) Shout out to Valentine-1 also.. Based one of the opinions, seems like the 911 the occasional long drive to Lafayette, La would be nice and comfy.
991.1 and .2 are as polarizing as Trump and Hillary camp.

If it's a daily driver and/or only car then I'd recommend the .2... If it's an ancillary car then hands down the more special and fun option - even the 3.4!

Quick Reply: 991.1 Vs Cayman S