Sponsored by:

Service Department Rip Off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I got boned for something like $800 for an oil change and brake fluid flush the last time I took my car in for scheduled maintenance. Fool me once.
Yuppp got boned as well, first service $800 but did include brand new wiper blades
Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 AM
OverG
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1 Crazy driver has the best answer to the question - to save money - DIY.

That said, you pay the dealer well over double to do it. Besides free time, you do get a few things for that extra money that may or may not be worth it and that will vary in degrees from individual to individual. There is no one rule.

If your car is valuable and you do not work on cars regularly, so is the dealer's experience and it is probably better to pay for it. If something goes wrong with the repair, the dealer is obligated to fix it, but unless you have a rare honest dealer, good luck with that.

A can of BG goes for under $20 on Amazon. However if you have it added at a BG certified shop (I do not know what this costs, but that dealer is obviously one) BG gives a Warranty that covers a few things and if one of them happens and is covered, the dealer will probably be happy to fix it and get the money from BG.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engin...e-restoration/

Bottom line is yes service at a dealership borders on unreasonalbly expensive, but that extra expense sustains an easily accessible resource that makes it worth it (if the dealer is honest). Sort of like paying your taxes for the Public Library and schools in town.

I do most of my own routine work on my 5.0L Supercharged Mustang and Jeep Wrangler. However as a rule, I do not do ANY work on my Porsche. The dealer in New Orleans is pretty honest, and the loaners they provide are fun (and make me appreciate my own Porsche even more). It offsets somewhat the pain of what I pay them for their job.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:27 AM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I got boned for something like $800 for an oil change and brake fluid flush the last time I took my car in for scheduled maintenance. Fool me once.
I have historically used my dealer (Carlsen, Redwood City) for all my services but am considering going independent (Modderman, Mountain View) for my incoming GTS.

$800.00 oil change bad juju...

Quick Reply: Service Department Rip Off?