Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do our cars do in crash tests.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017 | 07:13 PM
asia
Racer

Originally Posted by ace37
There is one case I concern myself with.
Over the last ten years, with my small commuter (1800lb Insight), 1 rear impact and 2 side impacts. You would think they would see you before changing lanes, but in a small car this is less likely apparently. Like with my sport bike, I've learned to try to avoid vehicles to the side in adjacent lanes when possible.
Old 06-28-2017 | 07:17 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Someone turned left in front of me at an intersection here in LA. I tried to swerve left to avoid her. No luck. My front right hit her front right. She was in an SUV. My airbags deployed and worked beautifully. No burns to my body. The impact was probably at 50 mph when our vehicle speeds are combined. I was amazed that that light cover did not crack as it was a direct hit. About $28k in damage to my prior 911, a C2 cab. I was very impressed with how well the car took the impact and with how well the air bags worked.
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2017 | 07:21 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

And yes, those are ears that you see in the front seat. That is my Boston Terrier, Addy. She too survived the accident unscathed. Here she is recently, dreaming about squirrels.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017 | 07:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I thought I would find one with a quick youtube search but no luck. A Boxster and a Macan are available. The Boxster performance might be somewhat similar.

I expect a 911 to be quite safe when running into something head on as the front end offers a large crumple zone that can absorb quite a bit of energy. Going underneath something tall in such an accident (semi or raised pickup) would be very dangerous, and rear and side impacts I'm not sure. I expect the safety engineering is quite good simply due to the level of engineering of everything else.

There is one case I concern myself with. I worry about the safety of a rear seat passenger in the event of being rear ended. The concerning but quite feasible scenario is if the freeway comes to an abrupt halt and the driver a ways behind me is not paying attention / using phone / etc. and hits me with full force after I've fully stopped. I always watch my mirrors closely in any scenario that seems that way and have an exit plan if possible (like run off to the shoulder to get out and provide more room).
I've always been concerned when some mammoth (Yukon XL, etc) with disk rotors about the size of a small dinner plate tailgates my 911, you *know*
that if you have to brake hard, the "chinet" rotors on the BFSUV are not
going to stop as quickly even if the driver isn't updating their relationship
status on FB ... at best its not going to be pretty, and it is going to be
*expensive* assuming you get away w/o injury...

this is not a shortcoming of the 911 design, its the 5 tons of sh*t behind you...
Old 06-28-2017 | 07:51 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
As Bismarck said, "God is on the side of the heavy battalions."
He may have been heard to say it, but he didn't say it first. Viscount Turenne coined the phrase about two hundred years before Bismarck was born. It's been repeated by Voltaire ironically.

Wonder if Bismarck knew he was quoting a Frenchmen ? Probably rolling around in his grave. 🤓
Old 06-28-2017 | 08:07 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Never heard of Turenne, but I'm a philistine engineer, but I always liked the phrase. In any case, I stand corrected.
Old 06-28-2017 | 08:19 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Never heard of Turenne, but I'm a philistine engineer, but I always liked the phrase. In any case, I stand corrected.
Agreed. And in general, the Germans had most of the good ones. Von Clausewitz, Von Moltke and Von Platen (had to work at least one Porsche reference in there

I'm the product of a government funded, institutionalized, tertiary education. Apparently.
Old 06-28-2017 | 09:51 PM
rwschill
Advanced

Default Accident testing

I think if any car company thought there results we're excellent you would see it published somewhere. I think my 911 is very solid and accident avoidance should be very good but why is adaptive cruise and lane change assist not standard as it is in my Ford Pickup at 1/3 the cost?
Would like see some data.
Old 06-28-2017 | 11:53 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

And most of those rollovers occur when a driver leaves the pavement. There again, a 911 provides considerably more margin--unless you're hanging the tial out, of course.

As to crashes between vehicles, the Range Rover is probably better than a 911 in all scenarios. After all would you rather be in a Range Rover center-punched by a 911 or vice versa? Same goes for a rear-end collision.

For anything on the lighter side of a true medium (or "heavy duty" light) truck, including anything made by Land Rover, I still think I would prefer to be in the latest Benz S class. It may give up a bit in mass, but the safety engineering is second-to-none. And it will probably stay right side up.
Old 06-29-2017 | 12:07 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rwschill
I think if any car company thought there results we're excellent you would see it published somewhere. I think my 911 is very solid and accident avoidance should be very good but why is adaptive cruise and lane change assist not standard as it is in my Ford Pickup at 1/3 the cost?
Would like see some data.
The crash tests are expensive and then tend to be conducted on vehicles that sell at large volumes. That's why we don't see any 911 results.

As to adaptive cruise, I hate it because it is always doing the wrong thing. It's only useful in a long, single-lane construction zone. I wouldn't take any car in which the adaptive cruise couldn't be switched back to "dumb" cruise control--even with a $5000 discount.
Old 06-29-2017 | 02:55 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Boxster:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoAgQ4QZkk

Macan:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fXY5CUKLEw
Old 06-29-2017 | 08:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Anyone have any real life pictures of how the side "curtain" airbags work on the 911's/Cayman's/Boxster's? Porsche "POSIP" is what they call their safety tech. There are drawings of how they work, but I haven't seen live footage.

It appears the sports cars don't have traditional curtain airbags. Instead, the airbags deploy from the top of the door panel and go upwards. I'm curious as to how HIGH they go, as I'm quite tall and my head goes above the window line (it's side by side with the lower part of the hard roof, though of course covered by the headliner).
Old 06-29-2017 | 09:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

I don't think they fare well at all. In the crash test videos I have seen, they fall apart like a toy, pieces flying everywhere.

Old 06-30-2017 | 05:18 PM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Too bad Porsche is not listed here:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

Would like to see how the 991.2 performs in the off-set test...
Old 07-01-2017 | 01:20 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

And most of those rollovers occur when a driver leaves the pavement. There again, a 911 provides considerably more margin--unless you're hanging the tial out, of course.

As to crashes between vehicles, the Range Rover is probably better than a 911 in all scenarios. After all would you rather be in a Range Rover center-punched by a 911 or vice versa? Same goes for a rear-end collision.

I just call it the "law of gross tonnage."

Quick Reply: How do our cars do in crash tests.