Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HRE or Magnus Walker Outlaw

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:09 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks for the nice complements. Johnny: Here are my attempts at putting Satin Bronze on the cars, one using your image and one with mine. I could only find images of centerlocks on a Turbo S and a GT3, both with ceramic rotors so I had to try to tint the calipers to red for you on the second one, and both are at slightly different angles so I had to distort them a bit to line them up as best I could. I couldn't find any images of brushed bronze or gloss bronze that would work.

So these are the best I could do, maybe HRE or Wheels Boutique can outdo me on these. I tried to show a couple of different angles and lighting conditions. I'm sure they aren't completely accurate, but they should be in enough of the right ballpark to help some. That is looking pretty sharp to me! The colors vary a little, but they varied a little in the photos I was using as sources too, likely due to both the camera used and the lighting conditions under which they were taken. I did do some color correction on your photo if you happen to notice but on my laptop the concrete and car look more accurate now.

BTW, you can get samples of the finishes sent to you if you ask. They'll send them on small curved discs to give you something to hold up to the car to compare in variously lighting conditions. Then you'll know for sure how the colors compare.

Last edited by StormRune; 06-27-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Price on 20" 991.1 c2s rot Fuchs please
PM incoming.

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Wow that looks awesome. My car looks identical to this so it is spot on. Thanks for being so generous with your time.

did you do any mockups in any of the bronze finishes?

This may help slightly for his Satin Bronze renderings

More photos at: http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/po...-s-on-hre-p101

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 06-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Stormrune, you are too kind thanks so much for the renders.

This morning I was browsing the HRE site and discovered the flow form series. They have a new one, the FF04.

I understand this is a version of a cast wheel and not forged, but what are the community's thoughts on this wheel? At a fraction of the typical price it is tempting, but I imagine it's heavier. Perhaps still an improvement over OEM?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This morning I was browsing the HRE site and discovered the flow form series. They have a new one, the FF04.

I understand this is a version of a cast wheel and not forged, but what are the community's thoughts on this wheel? At a fraction of the typical price it is tempting, but I imagine it's heavier. Perhaps still an improvement over OEM?

It is still an improvement over the OEM wheels but to be quite honest it is no replacement for having a forged set of HRE's custom built specifically for you and to your specs.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WheelsB

It is still an improvement over the OEM wheels but to be quite honest it is no replacement for having a forged set of HRE's custom built specifically for you and to your specs.
Thanks. Other than the custom options, are these strong enough for street/track use? How much weight savings is there by going forged over these?

I much prefer the forged wheels but just want to understand the details of HRE's "lower tier" before writing them off.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Other than the custom options, are these strong enough for street/track use? How much weight savings is there by going forged over these?

I much prefer the forged wheels but just want to understand the details of HRE's "lower tier" before writing them off.
FF's are fine. This might help:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=90
Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

FlowForm wheels fill a gap in the market where you may want a high quality option, but not at a Forged price. Can they compete? In terms of strength our FlowForm wheels pass the same TÜV certification tests that our Forged wheels do, so you can trust that you're buying a quality wheel. We've had a considerable amount of FlowForm users on the track, so you can be rest assured that they'll stand up to the abuse.

As far as weight savings go, any FlowForm wheel starts life as a cast wheel, meaning aluminum is poured into a mold which is put under pressure to relieve any air bubbles which are more common among gravity cast wheels, but instead of a full barrel, the wheel is molded with a skirt. That skirt is then hydraulically rolled out to a normal pre-determined width, and what that does is compress the grain structure of the wheel, pushing the molecules closer together to form a stronger bond, all while using less material in the barrel section as compared to a normal low pressure cast wheel which would be much thicker and because of that, heavier. Now while that's all awesome because it allows us to make a less expensive light and strong wheel, the face of the wheel is still cast. Because the face is cast, the weight savings compared to a fully forged wheel (where the wheel is forged on the face, and barrel), isn't going to be as significant.

Here is a visual to see how the manufacturing process works with FlowForm wheels:

I'll give you an example for weight comparison.

FlowForm FF04's for 991 C4S are as follows:
20x9 ET45 - 24.40lbs
20x11 ET45 - 24.40lbs
(Yes the front/rear weigh the same, not a typo).

HRE Forged P101 Wheels:
20x9 ET42 - 21.60lbs
20x11 ET50 - 22.80lbs
20x11 ET39 - 22.20lbs
Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
FlowForm wheels fill a gap in the market where you may want a high quality option, but not at a Forged price. Can they compete? In terms of strength our FlowForm wheels pass the same TÜV certification tests that our Forged wheels do, so you can trust that you're buying a quality wheel. We've had a considerable amount of FlowForm users on the track, so you can be rest assured that they'll stand up to the abuse.

As far as weight savings go, any FlowForm wheel starts life as a cast wheel, meaning aluminum is poured into a mold which is put under pressure to relieve any air bubbles which are more common among gravity cast wheels, but instead of a full barrel, the wheel is molded with a skirt. That skirt is then hydraulically rolled out to a normal pre-determined width, and what that does is compress the grain structure of the wheel, pushing the molecules closer together to form a stronger bond, all while using less material in the barrel section as compared to a normal low pressure cast wheel which would be much thicker and because of that, heavier. Now while that's all awesome because it allows us to make a less expensive light and strong wheel, the face of the wheel is still cast. Because the face is cast, the weight savings compared to a fully forged wheel (where the wheel is forged on the face, and barrel), isn't going to be as significant.

Here is a visual to see how the manufacturing process works with FlowForm wheels:

I'll give you an example for weight comparison.

FlowForm FF04's for 991 C4S are as follows:
20x9 ET45 - 24.40lbs
20x11 ET45 - 24.40lbs
(Yes the front/rear weigh the same, not a typo).

HRE Forged P101 Wheels:
20x9 ET42 - 21.60lbs
20x11 ET50 - 22.80lbs
20x11 ET39 - 22.20lbs
Thanks. Do you have the weights for the R101 lightweight?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks. Do you have the weights for the R101 lightweight?
For the 991 Wide Body the HRE R101 LW's weigh approximately 16.5 lbs for the 20"x9" fronts and 19.6 lbs for the 20"x12" rears.

Feel free to email me directly for quicker responses for your HRE questions
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

I was actually going to suggest this wheel for you. It will be the style I buy when I need new tires. To me it has a hint of an homage to the Fuchs design. Would love to see this in black on a graphite blue C2.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Interesting observation. With the right color scheme it could look like a more aggressive version of this wheel from the 50th:

The following users liked this post:
Msgm1 (09-09-2019)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those OEM sport classics forged?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

I know this isn't forged, but this look excites me. My quick photoshop. Kind of a throwback look but also modern. Don't know if HRE does this sort of thing with flow form but I think it looks great.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I know this isn't forged, but this look excites me. My quick photoshop. Kind of a throwback look but also modern. Don't know if HRE does this sort of thing with flow form but I think it looks great.

This is your wheel design?? Or HRE??
Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Exactly what I was talking about.

Quick Reply: HRE or Magnus Walker Outlaw