Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Matt Locke
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory PCCV system routes to the passenger side turbo intake. It pushes oil into the turbo. All 991 do this. Even 100% stock with no tune. This is the factory design.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:47 AM
Aslan_c4gts
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all same problem developed on my Dec 2017 C4 GTS. Went into dealership last week - say there's a tech bulletin and Porsche have recommended replacing both turbos, pipes and oil separator. Engine out job. All under warranty.

Bit disappointed, but sounds like this might sort it. Fingers crossed. Frustrating my daily Audi has 150k and has never broken a sweat, all I do is services and changing wear and tear items etc. And that is 1/3 the price.

In the forum's experience, do I need to be concerned about engine out etc should I be thinking get it back and get rid, or should I think it will be as good as new as dealership work? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Yours disappointedlyAslan
Old 04-14-2021, 07:54 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Aslan_c4gts
Hi all same problem developed on my Dec 2017 C4 GTS. Went into dealership last week - say there's a tech bulletin and Porsche have recommended replacing both turbos, pipes and oil separator. Engine out job. All under warranty.

Bit disappointed, but sounds like this might sort it. Fingers crossed. Frustrating my daily Audi has 150k and has never broken a sweat, all I do is services and changing wear and tear items etc. And that is 1/3 the price.

In the forum's experience, do I need to be concerned about engine out etc should I be thinking get it back and get rid, or should I think it will be as good as new as dealership work? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Yours disappointedlyAslan
I should have posted the resolution to my recent item.

The first instance the white smoke started required Porsche to replace: Turbos, oil lines and AOS.
The second instance there was a replacement of: the AOS (with a new revised version #3) and Version #2 of the oil lines.

For the time being my white smoke has stopped. I was going to throw in the towel as your post alluded to.... but I decided not to because (1) the car is really amazing and (2) Porsche as a company really does everything reasonable to make the customer happy.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:40 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

So is the smoke at every start-up or intermittent?

I have a 991.2 and have seen large billows of smoke as i back out the garage into the cold air. I don't recall seeing it smoke in the garage? I "think" the smoke dissipates - like water vapor, so never really worried about it...

Having seen this thread I went into the garage and took a video of start-up - no smoke. But my son says he's seen it smoke in the past. I will video several start-ups until i figure it out. Each video will record how long since driven, outside temp, and the date. Will also log if the car hadn't been driven extensively since last wash (I usually just go around the block to dry the brakes after a wash.)

Is it more likely to smoke more if the car has been sitting longer? (say 4-5 days vs overnight)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:06 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,123 Likes on 668 Posts

Sounds like yours is more condensation dependent on the weather. Aka your cats are working.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:19 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
So is the smoke at every start-up or intermittent?

I have a 991.2 and have seen large billows of smoke as i back out the garage into the cold air. I don't recall seeing it smoke in the garage? I "think" the smoke dissipates - like water vapor, so never really worried about it...

Having seen this thread I went into the garage and took a video of start-up - no smoke. But my son says he's seen it smoke in the past. I will video several start-ups until i figure it out. Each video will record how long since driven, outside temp, and the date. Will also log if the car hadn't been driven extensively since last wash (I usually just go around the block to dry the brakes after a wash.)

Is it more likely to smoke more if the car has been sitting longer? (say 4-5 days vs overnight)
In my case:
First the start up smoke starts intermittently ... drives you mental trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
then next... the smoke start will occur more frequently as the components start to fail.

which component is the cause? Could be either the aos/ oil lines or turbo

don’t waste your time trying to figure it out...if it started smoking one of the three will fail and the dealer will be pleased to resolve the issue.

porsche has proven to be a very decent company and as long as you go out of your way to be polite about the situation they will make the car whole again.

for me the smoke would always fallow hard long pulls on the highway or in our industrial district (full throttle full boost) followed by a 2-3 min rolling cool down followed by a 4-6 hour cool down. What happened during the 4-6 hour cool down would be oil pooling in the passenger side turbo that would be injected into the engine on start up.

Porsche will take care of you - just be reasonable and polite.

The following users liked this post:
Thinc2 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 02:13 PM
ICE NAMAT
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rapter
In my case:
First the start up smoke starts intermittently ... drives you mental trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
then next... the smoke start will occur more frequently as the components start to fail.

which component is the cause? Could be either the aos/ oil lines or turbo

don’t waste your time trying to figure it out...if it started smoking one of the three will fail and the dealer will be pleased to resolve the issue.

porsche has proven to be a very decent company and as long as you go out of your way to be polite about the situation they will make the car whole again.

for me the smoke would always fallow hard long pulls on the highway or in our industrial district (full throttle full boost) followed by a 2-3 min rolling cool down followed by a 4-6 hour cool down. What happened during the 4-6 hour cool down would be oil pooling in the passenger side turbo that would be injected into the engine on start up.

Porsche will take care of you - just be reasonable and polite.
hello. My GT3RS started to smoke during cold start. Two days in a row. I took this video. I have 3k mikes on the engine and this have not happened before. I have a appointment tomorrow with Porsche. The smoke was so bad that it trigger my fire alarm twice

Last edited by ICE NAMAT; 04-18-2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Quick Reply: white smoke at startup