Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:06 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? When I start mine up (especially in the morning) I get smoke out the exhaust for about 2 minutes. I sent a video to my service guy and he said it doesn't look like smoke but water vapor from the exhaust. I never thought much of it, but then I saw this thread. I have also noticed an oil smell the last couple days when I get home (10-15min drive home from work) and that's with driving normally (not spirited driving). This is my first porsche so not sure what to expect. I haven't seen any oil on the garage floor. It's a 991.2 with 9k miles. I'm sure everything is normal...I just had never seen that much "vapor" coming out the exhaust (unless it was really cold outside...
Old 10-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Porsche in WNC
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clemsondds,
If you read the full thread you'll see that the amount/volume/density of smoke at startup is NOT normal or condensation. If your s/n falls in the range, Porsche knows they have a problem and has a technical bulletin/fix out on it. I am still waiting for the final verdict. My car had the fix and now is at the shop and the dealer is letting it sit for a few days then starting it up to see if it still smokes. Note; I believe the official fix is oil supply lines (and check valves) to the turbos, although one mention in the thread indicates that a Porsche service rep recommended supply AND return line replacement-go figure.
A perplexing and drawn out issue-shame on Porsche. How many years have they been fooling with turbos???
I'm soured over this deal.
If you have significant/abnormal white smoke at startup ask your dealer service advisor to do some digging with your s/n and Porsche.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:09 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Sorry...ha I did read it yesterday and then totally forgot about the fix that was posted.
So can this cause any damage if not corrected? My SA obviously has no desire to fix it and I'm tired of having to confront them about various things. If it's not good for the car, then I'll definitely have it checked out. He told me I could bring it by, but he said he doesn't think it's any issue to be concerned about
Old 10-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Porsche in WNC
8th Gear

Its up to you to determine if it is objectionable and if you can live with it. I could not live with my garage getting filled up with a huge cloud of white smoke that did not dissipate in 30 minutes and my wife calling me (after I left the house) afraid the house was on fire (seriously.)
If it is condensation, no big deal. Big clouds of white (oil) smoke= big deal(to me.)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Any chance you have any video of the smoke?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Mine always has white smoke
Great help! Thanks R-Rated!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Default video

Originally Posted by clemsondds
Any chance you have any video of the smoke?
i have video but can’t attach on here. I can send via email. If you provide that I can I email you ASAP.

My fix Porsche Corp said remove oil n filter and put new. I doubt that will fix it. They are wasting my time.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Default Any updates

Originally Posted by Porsche in WNC
Its up to you to determine if it is objectionable and if you can live with it. I could not live with my garage getting filled up with a huge cloud of white smoke that did not dissipate in 30 minutes and my wife calling me (after I left the house) afraid the house was on fire (seriously.)
If it is condensation, no big deal. Big clouds of white (oil) smoke= big deal(to me.)
Any updates on your car? Mine still in shop. They put new oil in it. Lol.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Search for Leaking injector, overfuelling .
If the white smoke persists,is dense and smells oily/gas that is the clue.Intermix smoke is sweet smelling ,oil leak is darker, blueish and different smell.
Condensation burns off quickly.Leaking injector gas will eventually burn !
Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Originally Posted by reyesincc
My dealer service manager told me Porsche issued a technical bulletin in August for the smoking at start up problem. The bulletin stated to replace the oil supply lines and check valves to correct the problem. However, the service engineer that calls on the dealership advised to replace both the supply AND return check valves to each turbo (4 check valves total). I had this work done last week, drove the car over the weekend, then let it sit 3 days before starting it with NO smoke from the exhaust. This is the first time since purchase the car did not smoke after a few days sitting. I think this is the proper repair. I'll post again if I see any changes. Good luck.

they finally approved to replace all 4 check valves. Hope this works. Hate to do all this to a new car.
Not happy.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Originally Posted by Porsche in WNC
same description of my house and smoke.
Finally got approved to replace all 4 check valves.
Was your car fixed?
Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesincc
My dealer service manager told me Porsche issued a technical bulletin in August for the smoking at start up problem. The bulletin stated to replace the oil supply lines and check valves to correct the problem. However, the service engineer that calls on the dealership advised to replace both the supply AND return check valves to each turbo (4 check valves total). I had this work done last week, drove the car over the weekend, then let it sit 3 days before starting it with NO smoke from the exhaust. This is the first time since purchase the car did not smoke after a few days sitting. I think this is the proper repair. I'll post again if I see any changes. Good luck.
My car is at the dealership now for the same problem, occasional white billowing smoke at start up. Tech doesn’t want to do anything until he sees the smoke.

Does anyone have the number and date of the TSB? Thx.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
My car is at the dealership now for the same problem, occasional white billowing smoke at start up. Tech doesn’t want to do anything until he sees the smoke.

Does anyone have the number and date of the TSB? Thx.
Wondering if there is an established fix for the smoke on start up issue. My Car (2017 c4s) started smoking on start ups last year around July. The dealership replaced the AOS, then the turbo cooling lines and then the turbos back in October 2019. The issues was largely resolved until last week when the car started to blow white/ blue smoke again at start up and consumed the oil in the reserve.

I took the car to the dealer following some videos I took and the car stopped smoking on start up and the dealership does not want to “investigate” if there is not a repeatable issues. Which in my opinion is dumb... rather short sighted. If a customer comes in with a video of car smoking and loss of oil (internal loss of oil as there is no external leak) there should be some digging instead of sending the customer back out on the road to wait until something fails.

I have a separate thread documenting the issue here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1149...ith-video.html
Old 10-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
Wondering if there is an established fix for the smoke on start up issue. My Car (2017 c4s) started smoking on start ups last year around July. The dealership replaced the AOS, then the turbo cooling lines and then the turbos back in October 2019. The issues was largely resolved until last week when the car started to blow white/ blue smoke again at start up and consumed the oil in the reserve.

I took the car to the dealer following some videos I took and the car stopped smoking on start up and the dealership does not want to “investigate” if there is not a repeatable issues. Which in my opinion is dumb... rather short sighted. If a customer comes in with a video of car smoking and loss of oil (internal loss of oil as there is no external leak) there should be some digging instead of sending the customer back out on the road to wait until something fails.

I have a separate thread documenting the issue here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1149...ith-video.html
Well, I’m glad that thread pointed to the smoke smell as oil smell, and given the fixes pointed out in this thread, probably oil related, so folks don’t have to chase head gaskets and AOS, etc.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:50 PM
DTang
4th Gear

My 2015 GT3 used to smoke intermittently on startup. Started journaling the type of driving I did prior and did not notice any correlation (long, short drives, high rpm, lower rpm). The only thing that fixed the problems was when I finally got the dreaded GT3 check engine light and my dealership replaced the engine. Now with a new engine it has not had the white smoke problem at all. Hopefully your fix will not involve you stuck in a loaner and missing out on your summer track days.

Quick Reply: white smoke at startup