Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:22 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I took to dealer they couldn't replicate it, was there a few days. I took car home from porsche, they said video tape it and show us. Which I just did yesterday. When I was at the dealer they did say a certain production batch of 911, which porsche knows about may have this issues. They said they pulled a engine from one other customer, i think to also fix the oil lines feeding the turbo. But, your saying that didn't work for you. This is getting absurd we paid all this money and having these issues. Which local service dealer did you take your car to, maybe my local techs can communicate with them so we can both have good working car.(sunset porsche, portland, or)
When you say bad turbo? they replace the engine?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

oops

Last edited by Depan Patel; 09-30-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: delete post
Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Porsche in WNC
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Depan Patel
Yes I took to dealer they couldn't replicate it, was there a few days. I took car home from porsche, they said video tape it and show us. Which I just did yesterday. When I was at the dealer they did say a certain production batch of 911, which porsche knows about may have this issues. They said they pulled a engine from one other customer, i think to also fix the oil lines feeding the turbo. But, your saying that didn't work for you. This is getting absurd we paid all this money and having these issues. Which local service dealer did you take your car to, maybe my local techs can communicate with them so we can both have good working car.(sunset porsche, portland, or)
When you say bad turbo? they replace the engine?
I took a video. Big white smoke cloud at startup for a minute after sitting for a few days. Dealer (in Asheville, NC) said to bring car in. They worked with Porsche-my car is in the s/n group withthe problem (group ended sometime 8/16) Porsche advised dealer to replace the oil lines/check valves feeding turbo. The pulled the engine and replaced the oil lines to turbo. Reinstalled engine.
Had it home for a few days and the problem showed up again (first time I used it again, after the car sat for a few days.) Sent video to dealer and brought car back in. Porsche dealer now working with Porsche to fix the problem. Dealer not sure, suspects bad turbo (seals). Waiting for word from Porsche.
I too am frustrated, very disappointed in Porsche and ready to invite them to replace the car-if they don't get it fixed this time.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Porsche in WNC, if we can keep in contact and discuss our situations, please feel free to call or text, would be great. 503-702-7604
Old 09-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Porsche in WNC
8th Gear

Hi, I am expecting an update from the dealer next week. They know I am very concerned and want this fixed right this time.
If/as I learn anything of significance I will let you know.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Are we talking dense, opaque smoke with a tinge of blue/gray?

Or thin, translucent white smoke?

Post a link to the video.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:17 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine always has white smoke
Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Porsche in WNC
8th Gear

Originally Posted by worf928
Are we talking dense, opaque smoke with a tinge of blue/gray?

Or thin, translucent white smoke?

Post a link to the video.

White smoke. NOT condensation from cold startup/exhaust. Confirmed and reconfirmed by me and dealer as oil smoke. Heavy cloud at first if the car has been sitting for more than a couple of days. Smokes for about the first minute (oil in turbos?) then slows/stops. Oil smoke cloud hangs in garage for 30 minutes plus unless you back out quickly. Totally unacceptable.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche in WNC
White smoke. NOT condensation from cold startup/exhaust. Confirmed and reconfirmed by me and dealer as oil smoke. Heavy cloud at first if the car has been sitting for more than a couple of days.
Fair'nough.

Totally unacceptable.
I agree. I wouldn't want to put up with it either.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:00 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 AM
reyesincc
2nd Gear

My dealer service manager told me Porsche issued a technical bulletin in August for the smoking at start up problem. The bulletin stated to replace the oil supply lines and check valves to correct the problem. However, the service engineer that calls on the dealership advised to replace both the supply AND return check valves to each turbo (4 check valves total). I had this work done last week, drove the car over the weekend, then let it sit 3 days before starting it with NO smoke from the exhaust. This is the first time since purchase the car did not smoke after a few days sitting. I think this is the proper repair. I'll post again if I see any changes. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Porsche in WNC
8th Gear

Hi,
Your post is most helpful. Can you give me the name of your dealer so I can refer my dealer to yours please?
Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:59 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesincc
My dealer service manager told me Porsche issued a technical bulletin in August for the smoking at start up problem. The bulletin stated to replace the oil supply lines and check valves to correct the problem. However, the service engineer that calls on the dealership advised to replace both the supply AND return check valves to each turbo (4 check valves total). I had this work done last week, drove the car over the weekend, then let it sit 3 days before starting it with NO smoke from the exhaust. This is the first time since purchase the car did not smoke after a few days sitting. I think this is the proper repair. I'll post again if I see any changes. Good luck.
That's good to hear.

Lets hope the new parts are revised not to fail.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Depan Patel
AutoX

Default Depan

Originally Posted by reyesincc

I told my dealer about you and WNC they really don't care about other fixes, they says its in Porsches hand. I tell them this is how other people got their cars fixed, they don't even want to reach out to other dealers.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car does the same thing for a few seconds after start up. I thought it was normal. My car is going into storage tomorrow but I made a service appointment for next Spring to have this corrected when the dealer does the annual service.

Quick Reply: white smoke at startup