Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Tire Lettering on their street car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:25 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Haha BTW - my choice of screen name had nothing to do with the late Pope. Although; I was relieved to discover that I chose a 'good one'. When are we going to see some photos of the GT4 ?

🙏🏻
No way, now! The pro-tire-lettering guys are just waiting for me to post some pix so they can jump on me and tell me how tasteless my bright red bewinged-and-bespoilered mid-life-crisis-mobile is!

Actually, been in Toronto for a bit and, to be honest, before that I was just driving the hell out of it and my usual penchant for stopping and snapping some pictures has deserted me. It's the best-looking car I've ever owned and I don't have any pictures except these two I snapped in the garage to show my brother what it looked like.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:35 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you bought a 911 with an automatic transmission and then traded it in on a Boxster with a metal roof then you are certainly the arbiter of what is cool and should be listened to with rapt attention.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:56 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^^ Ahhh... perhaps the disconnect here! I never said anything about "cool." I said, "in good taste."
Old 06-25-2017, 01:58 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
No way, now! The pro-tire-lettering guys are just waiting for me to post some pix so they can jump on me and tell me how tasteless my bright red bewinged-and-bespoilered mid-life-crisis-mobile is!

Actually, been in Toronto for a bit and, to be honest, before that I was just driving the hell out of it and my usual penchant for stopping and snapping some pictures has deserted me. It's the best-looking car I've ever owned and I don't have any pictures except these two I snapped in the garage to show my brother what it looked like.

We would never make fun of your car. Looks great. Stock - just like they intended it too be. Nice Job!!!

Last edited by surquhar; 06-25-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:01 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
We would never make fun of your car. Looks great. Stock - just like they intended it too be. Nice Job!!!
Anyone who would poke fun at that car is certainly no car enthusiast.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So...

I definitely enjoy the intellect and ability of this crowd to make a subtle point----some in this forum (which I believe is for 911/991 owners) enjoy posting an insult which is a direct comment on their own fears about being accepted or respected by strangers...must be tough for these people to walk through a mall---the opinions of thousands judging their taste and intellectual ability---maybe if they moved to the right zip code and owned the "best" car--they could let go of their self-hatred and hostility towards others? A drive on the interstate must be debilitating---maybe gloves are needed to drive when your own skin is razor thin...

Cheers
Old 06-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Well said
Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
I definitely enjoy the intellect and ability of this crowd to make a subtle point----some in this forum (which I believe is for 911/991 owners) enjoy posting an insult which is a direct comment on their own fears about being accepted or respected by strangers...must be tough for these people to walk through a mall---the opinions of thousands judging their taste and intellectual ability---maybe if they moved to the right zip code and owned the "best" car--they could let go of their self-hatred and hostility towards others? A drive on the interstate must be debilitating---maybe gloves are needed to drive when your own skin is razor thin...

Cheers
Well said indeed! My only point of contention would be with the bolded statement; I believe the various fora on Rennlist are for "the discussion of" a particular model, not for "owners of" that particular car. That trifling point aside, as a Cayman owner I recognize that my opinion is devalued in any discussion amongst Porschephiles (I believe it is counted as 3/5 of a 911 owner's opinion, iirc), and that's as it should be. In fact, if I can scrape together the means -- by winning the lottery, enjoying the bequest of some rich and recently deceased relative, or maybe winning a frivolous lawsuit -- you can rest assured I'll buy one of those 911s and join in all the fun!

Till then, please understand that I was only speaking of the tastelessness of tire lettering on Caymans and Boxsters! I assumed that was clear in my statements but in looking back I see that I didn't explicitly point it out. On 911s of course, they look wonderful! Have at it.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
I think they look pretty cool and at the end of the day who gives a **** what anyone else thinks. I have to say in my one year of Porsche ownership that the criticism from a few of the enthusiasts on here is crazy. "If you buy those your a douchebag" "Your putting an aftermarket anything on your car, wow that not only voids your warranty but it takes away from the design the Porsche engineers wanted" "Guys at the car shows are going to laugh behind your back" blah blah blah. Its worse than the BMW forums nowadays, except everything is written a little more eloquently.
Exactly!

Just like with my house, clothes, and everything else, I buy them and use them for me. Not for the next person to critique or owner in the case of cars and houses.

Unless you're buying it for me, I don't give a crap what you think.

As for the tire lettering, as someone said in this post, growing up in the 70's, I like raised white letter tires. I think they look pretty
Old 06-26-2017, 12:31 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Only Porsche this looks good on is a lowered vintage with aggressive offset (ie outlaw) or a GT3RS. GT3 is borderline at best. Putting tire stickers on a stock Carrera is questionable. It's like wearing sneakers with a suit.
You mean high fashion?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

that reminds me of this guy..... Im pretty sure he doesnt care what anyone thinks
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by KWP1911

Ah, now see, here we have a point of perfect agreement! I knew we could work out our differences with enough dialogue.

So yes, if you want to look like a tennis-shoe-and-suit wearing fellow, by all means, go for it! Don't let convention, taste, The Man, or anyone else hold you back. Besticker your rockers, beletter your tires, bescoop your hoods to your heart's content.

I'm just helping you see what opinions you're likely to engender in others; not coaching you on whether or not you are willing to endure that.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
that reminds me of this guy..... Im pretty sure he doesnt care what anyone thinks

Does that football look a couple pounds low? Rumor has it, Brady prefers the comfort setting when it comes to PSI.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:35 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Does that football look a couple pounds low? Rumor has it, Brady prefers the comfort setting when it comes to PSI.
It could be, but nevertheless he is the best quarterback I've ever seen. And I'm a Ravens and not Patriots fan. I just wish that his skills would start to diminish like other players who are 40. Brady will be 40 this August.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Quick Reply: Anyone have Tire Lettering on their street car?