Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Jacko911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS

Hello, has anyone compared the sound of a 991.2 GTS to a 991.2 CarreraS with a sports exhaust. I am finding the 991.2 Carrera S a bit tame in the sound dept and am wondering if its worth selling a kidney or child to find the money to upgrade if its basically just the same sports exhaust!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 218 Posts

Just get an aftermarket exhaust on your Carrera S. It will be cheaper than upgrading to a GTS and sound much better.
I think the GTS sounds a tad more aggressive but that's not the reason I would upgrade.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Jacko911
2nd Gear

Hello, I have strongly considered this but checked with Porsche and it will invalidate my warranty which could be seriously expensive if the engine went pop. Your RS looks totally amazing by the way
Old 06-19-2017, 03:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacko911
Hello, I have strongly considered this but checked with Porsche and it will invalidate my warranty which could be seriously expensive if the engine went pop. Your RS looks totally amazing by the way
No exhaust will void a warranty. Complete lie.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

I have heard both sides of this discussion. Since I'm too lazy to search, is there a previous discussion on RL that seems to really answer this question? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
No exhaust will void a warranty. Complete lie.
Agreed, the magnuson moss act.

"According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C))."
Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

"According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C))."
We can lawyer this all day. Changing the exhaust is fundamentally changing the dynamics of the engine and other parts since backpressure is being altered etc. This isn't like using a FRAM oil or air filter instead of OEM parts. This is fundamentally changing the car with a modification.

I'm not saying I disagree that the modified exhaust should not invalidate the warranty....just saying it is not black and white.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:09 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by subshooter
We can lawyer this all day. Changing the exhaust is fundamentally changing the dynamics of the engine and other parts since backpressure is being altered etc. This isn't like using a FRAM oil or air filter instead of OEM parts. This is fundamentally changing the car with a modification.

I'm not saying I disagree that the modified exhaust should not invalidate the warranty....just saying it is not black and white.
its definitely a grey area and it also depends on your relationship with your dealer. My dealer doesn't care as long as it's a slip on and not modifying the cats.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The GTS PSE does not sound appreciably different from the S PSE. Some insulation was removed for the GTS to increase cabin sound marginally. Warranty issues vary with degree of modification, as center sections and X pipes are least intrusive to the engine and its management while high flow cats (or none) are more likely to result in unhappy engine management outcomes. The results are also variable with droning being the most common aftermarket exhaust complaint followed by loudness, too much, not enough, or poor tone.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

No dealer has the engineering background and capability to prove an exhaust had any material impact on the car. Also, to make a blanket statement about voiding warranty implies that if your power seats started failing then they would blame that on the exhaust. It's a slimy used car salesman stereotype and complete ignorance stated by someone that I hope isn't actually going to work on your car.... because they are completely unqualified... them touching your car should void the warranty before an exhaust.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:51 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

That's not exactly what, or all, the act says about use of aftermarket parts.

https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guide...s/undermag.htm

Read the section about tie-in sales provisions and exceptions.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
No dealer has the engineering background and capability to prove an exhaust had any material impact on the car. Also, to make a blanket statement about voiding warranty implies that if your power seats started failing then they would blame that on the exhaust. It's a slimy used car salesman stereotype and complete ignorance stated by someone that I hope isn't actually going to work on your car.... because they are completely unqualified... them touching your car should void the warranty before an exhaust.
Your dealer is not the entity that provides warranty for your car. If bought in USA, it is PCNA. I know first hand of a couple people that had modified their exhaust that had engine related warranty claims denied by PCNA. One was lucky enough to be warned in advance by the dealer and he had all his OEM exhaust parts and restored his car back to original specs and took it back in for repair.

PCNA has become very strict about warranty repairs and often requires documentation, including photos to demonstrate that the car has not been modified.

I think you are right in your assumption that an aftermarket exhaust will not void your warranty on something like power seat motor. But, don't be so sure about an engine claim. I'm all for owners doing whatever they want to to their cars. Just buyer beware if installing aftermarket parts.

If you are so sure that an exhaust will have no impact on your warranty, send PCNA a letter and ask them. I think you will be surprised at their response. Or, ask the supplier of the aftermarket part if they will guarantee in writing that their exhaust will have no impact on your Porsche warranty, and if it does, they will cover the cost of repair.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM
mikex25

The tie in sales provision was an archaic interpretation but in 2011 it has been updated with the FTC stating we cannot lose warranty due to aftermarket parts.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

https://blog.stillen.com/2011/01/fed...ding-warranty/

A quick Wikipedia search under requirements

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives."

the whole point of the act is so we are not locked in to only using the manufacturers parts.

Last edited by mikex25; 06-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That's not exactly what, or all, the act says about use of aftermarket parts.

https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guide...s/undermag.htm

Read the section about tie-in sales provisions and exceptions.

straight from the Fedetal trade commissions website. Read section will aftermarket parts void warranty.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The warranty issue has been debated endlessly. There is a risk using aftermarket parts that claim to enhance or in anyway alter the manufacturer specifications. That is not the equivalent of substituting a non OEM or OE part with a third party part intended to perform as intended by the manufacturer. As well stated above the warranty is issued by the manufacturer and/or its authorized agent (PCNA for Porsche AG) and not the dealer. The dealer may choose to perform routine warranty claims without prior authorization but risks not having the claim honored if subsequently reviewed and denied. The electronic record in Porsches have become increasingly comprehensive and difficult to circumvent. Decide for yourself but be accurately informed.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS