991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennline Exactfit Dash Phone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017 | 08:19 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

I installed this Rennline phone mount about six months ago and liked the concept but wasn't perfectly happy with where it positioned the phone. My preference was for the high position on the passenger side, but I found that the phone overlapped the LCD screen a bit and also blocked the access to the buttons below the LCD on the right side. So I decided to make a new sheet metal bracket to postion the phone further to the right and a bit higher.

The original bracket is on the left, the new one on the right. Basically, I flopped the mounting tab for the magnetic ball-mount from left to right and I also moved it as high as possible. The new bracket is taller than the original to provide clearance for the trim underneath it.

This is my phone on the original mount, as viewed from the driver's seat. It is partially blocking the right side of the LCD, as well as the LCD controls on the right.

Here's the new mount with usefully improved clearance.
The following users liked this post:
99-911 (11-08-2023)
Old 12-17-2017 | 09:37 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I installed this Rennline phone mount about six months ago and liked the concept but wasn't perfectly happy with where it positioned the phone. My preference was for the high position on the passenger side, but I found that the phone overlapped the LCD screen a bit and also blocked the access to the buttons below the LCD on the right side. So I decided to make a new sheet metal bracket to postion the phone further to the right and a bit higher.

The original bracket is on the left, the new one on the right. Basically, I flopped the mounting tab for the magnetic ball-mount from left to right and I also moved it as high as possible. The new bracket is taller than the original to provide clearance for the trim underneath it.

This is my phone on the original mount, as viewed from the driver's seat. It is partially blocking the right side of the LCD, as well as the LCD controls on the right.

Bravo!
I had the exact same problem since that is where I wanted the phone to be (higher on passenger side).
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do...

Can I buy your version from you! Lol.
Old 12-17-2017 | 11:39 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

I wish I could tool them and spit out a few dozen, but it was hand-made. However, I'd be happy to send you the drawing of it.
Old 12-17-2017 | 12:21 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

I wish I could tool them and spit out a few dozen, but it was hand-made. However, I'd be happy to send you the drawing of it.
pm incoming! Thanks my friend.
Old 12-17-2017 | 05:35 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

I was looking into this because I'm trying to find some graceful way of mounting my Garmin Nuvi 2859. The in-dash navigation system works, of course, and the MFD nav display is convenient, but my experience with various aspects of the Porsche navigation system has been less than stellar. A couple of years ago I took a trip to Virginia, and after driving over the Tappan Zee bridge to avoid NYC, it slotted me into a road that forced me over the George Washington Bridge. By the time I figured out what it had done, I was committed to driving into NYC and then back again over the bridge. Since then I've used an external GPS for most of my navigation.

The mounting solutions for the GPS kind of suck. Vent mounts and such which aren't too stable and/or eventually break (though fortunately without doing anything untoward to the vent). It occurred to me that phone mount solutions might be better, since it's kinda-sorta phone sized. Unfortunately the positioning isn't great, since the GPS really has to be horizontal, and would definitely overlap the PCM far too much with things like the Rennline Exactfit mount. Plus there's the issue that the back of the GPS has an indented circle for the clip-in ball mount.

Not sure there is a reasonable solution, particularly for a guy who is not up to making his own brackets, but I thought I might as well ask if anyone had any ideas.
Old 12-17-2017 | 06:47 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Gus have you tried suction cup brackets that stick to windshield? You could place it in the left side corner of the windshield. Just do a search on ebay and you will see lots of different mounts - good place to get ideas.
Old 12-17-2017 | 09:17 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

I have tried suction cup mounts. I've got one that came with the Garmin. They're good as far as positioning goes, but poor in terms of actually staying adhered to the windshield, particularly on cold weather. Sometimes they'll come off while the car is in the garage, sometimes when I'm in the car and accelerating. I'd much rather something like the Exactfit phone mount, which is actually attached to the car by screws.

Though I'll also say the T-design phone mount has worked well for my wife in her Cayman S. We've got a spare iPod Touch gripped in that permanently as her music system. The T-design mount was another option I considered, but it has the same problems with overlapping the PCM as the Exactfit mount since it's pretty much in the same location.
Old 12-17-2017 | 09:46 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Though I'll also say the T-design phone mount has worked well for my wife in her Cayman S. We've got a spare iPod Touch gripped in that permanently as her music system. The T-design mount was another option I considered, but it has the same problems with overlapping the PCM as the Exactfit mount since it's pretty much in the same location.
I got the T-Design mount and like it a lot. I have it on the right side, and while I can’t use the crummy Porsche cup holders that is not really a concern because I never use ithem anyway. Glove box opens fine. I bought a 4’ black lightning cable from Amazon and it is tucked under the right side leather trim. The beauty of the T-Design IMO is it is easily removable and you don’t have to use a metal plate on your phone.

Old 12-18-2017 | 01:59 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
I still use a magnetic plate with iPhone X and wireless charging. I use the smaller Scoshe plate and attach it towards the bottom of the phone (wireless charging is towards the center of the device). Works five now on my magnetic mount as well as my wireless charging stand.
That is a good idea!
No issues with the phone sliding around while driving, when you have the metal plate towards the bottom of the phone?
Old 12-18-2017 | 04:44 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Beautiful elegant solution. I too have a MT and your design would be perfect for the X. Can you please share the drawing? Have no clue where to fabricate it though. Thx.
Old 12-18-2017 | 06:14 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

I belatedly realized I don't have to mount the Garmin GPS centered. There's no reason the T-design mount can't hold it by one end.

Sure, it's less stable that gripping it in the center, but my preliminary impression is that it's pretty secure.

I could get the same effect with the Exactfit mount by putting the metal strip on one side, but unfortunately that's the side that has the power switch and the USB port on the back, and I can't cover those up.
Old 12-20-2017 | 11:58 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Looks nice! I am fine with cheap EEEKit cup based holder. It is not as nice, but goes right into the cup holder and is very adjustable. If/when it breaks I will take a closer look at rennline one.

Old 12-21-2017 | 03:55 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Looks nice! I am fine with cheap EEEKit cup based holder. It is not as nice, but goes right into the cup holder and is very adjustable. If/when it breaks I will take a closer look at rennline one.

Mein Gott ! That looks like Darth Vader’s Enema machine
Old 04-25-2018 | 09:40 PM
samduhspam
Track Day

Can someone confirm the Rennline mount works with the iPhone X?
Old 04-25-2018 | 09:41 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Yes, it works perfect! My iPhone X works perfect in the Cayenne and 991.

Quick Reply: Rennline Exactfit Dash Phone Mount