Sponsored by:

How do you clean your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts
Default How do you clean your wheels?

I am trying to improve my auto detailing skills and one area that I need to focus on is detailing my wheels. I started to do some research and found a lot of products, brushes, and recommendations. Since many of you enjoy detailing your own cars, I was wondering what you use.

Here is what I currently use:
Rim/Tire cleaner: Tire Guys Wheel and Tire cleaner

Rim/Tire Dressing: Armour All Outlast Dust Brake Repellant, Armour All Tire Gel (I already use these)

Brushes: I currently don't use these, just a soft mitt. but I can't get my hand in far enough to clean the inside of the rims, so need some kind of long brush.

I occasionally wax my rims with Zymol. I also use it to wax my car.
Maybe you have better product recommendations. The dust brake repellant seems to work okay, but it takes three hours to dry before you can drive your car.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I put Cquartz on my wheels when I did the car. I use the reset car wash on the wheels in a separate bucket from the car. I wash the wheels with Wheel Woolies and a deducated wash cloth along with a brush to reach the calipers. I also have PCCB's which make the wheels a breeze to keep clean.
Eric
Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Wheel woolies are a must for getting deep into the rim.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wheel...l#.WT-4KWjyuUk
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Sonax all the way. Not the cheapest but 5 liters will last for well over a year. If you have a pressure washer or use a DIY car wash you can spray this stuff on let it sit for 3-4 minutes and the high pressure hose will remove it all. No pressure washer? May need a little agitation to remove the material.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...5-liter-refill
Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car wash soap, scotchbrite sponge, lug nut brush, toothbrush and a cotton hand towel. To get the stubborn stuff (the old glue from the balancing weights and other spots) I use some goof off. Cleaning the rims takes a long time and I usually have to move the car a little so I can get the area where the calipers are. I then have to clean the rust puddles after it sits a while, and again.

All this time spent and by next week they are filthy again.

As the rims get older, they seem to get more porous and harder to clean.

The spry on wheel cleaner seems to be a waste of money.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

I don't know why, and I'm not complaining but my 991.1 with Sport Technos produce very, very little brake dust, compared to my 987.2 Cayman. As a result, I'm not using any special brush or wheel cleaners - just regular car wash soap, microfiber cloth or older wash mitt, and that's it. Don't even have to use the Armor All no brake dust spray. Not complaining.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 AM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

YoungTurk's Sport Techno wheels are a joy to maintain, on the other end of the scale are my 991.2 20"RS Spyder Design Wheels. For these you need a tool that will reach all the way through the spokes to clean the wheel drum and brake calipers. Advance Auto Parts has the Autocraft brand microfiber wheel cleaner for eight bucks. You may even dispense with using medical exam type one use gloves from the local drug store! Use Simple Green cleaner, and flush with lots of water. Then step back and admire the results.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

P21, wheel wooly, rejex wax once a year
Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clean-alloy-wheels.html
Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Sonax all the way. Not the cheapest but 5 liters will last for well over a year. If you have a pressure washer or use a DIY car wash you can spray this stuff on let it sit for 3-4 minutes and the high pressure hose will remove it all. No pressure washer? May need a little agitation to remove the material.

Second the motion. I use the woolies brushes sometimes, but a good pressure washer and Sonax will make short work of the problem. ESPECIALLY with my last wheels, the 20-hole GTS centerlocks! Aye yi yi! There's half an afternoon gone when cleaning by hand.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Second the motion. I use the woolies brushes sometimes, but a good pressure washer and Sonax will make short work of the problem. ESPECIALLY with my last wheels, the 20-hole GTS centerlocks! Aye yi yi! There's half an afternoon gone when cleaning by hand.
Sonax makes it so easy.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Thanks all for your input. I do have a pressure washer but it's just a PIA to get out and use. However, I think I'll give the Sonax a go.

What after treatments are you using for the tires and rims?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks all for your input. I do have a pressure washer but it's just a PIA to get out and use. However, I think I'll give the Sonax a go.

What after treatments are you using for the tires and rims?
I do mine (HRE P101) last and use regular car wash soap and a wine glass cleaning brush that is soft foam and shaped like a golf ball. Gets int most corners and its soft. I've been using armourall tire gel for years but get too much sling on side of car now so its Chemical guys high gloss or satin. Zero sling.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Clean them with car wash soap and "wheel woolies."

Dry thoroughly and follow with heavy application of armor all brake dust repellant. Let sit overnight before driving.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Clean them with car wash soap and "wheel woolies."

Dry thoroughly and follow with heavy application of armor all brake dust repellant. Let sit overnight before driving.
How would that Armor All work on satin black?

Quick Reply: How do you clean your wheels?