Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you pay for Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:57 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

$4882/year guaranteed value of $280K through Hagerty. 43 yo no accidents or tickets with over 25 years driving experience. Allstate wouldn't even underwrite a normal policy on the 2018 TTS for me. NY prices are a joke. TTS isn't even a DD for me.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

There is a profitability trick that most insurance companies play, hoping you are not aware. I read about this in the Wall Street Journal. If you hang with an insurance company a while, they will start raising your rates, even if you have a great credit score and driving/accident records. They assume/hope you just stay, and keep on paying their ever higher rates. if they can get an extra $50 or $100, or whatever from you, that extra money flows right to their bottom line and makes them look like super execs. If you shop around and find lower rates, and you complain to them and threaten to switch insurers, they often find a way to reduce your rate. But they make a ton of extra money on those who simply and passively accept those rate increases, year after year. That's the way it is in the real world. You have to be proactive and be able to challenge them. Or you will be used...
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
There is a profitability trick that most insurance companies play, hoping you are not aware. I read about this in the Wall Street Journal. If you hang with an insurance company a while, they will start raising your rates, even if you have a great credit score and driving/accident records. They assume/hope you just stay, and keep on paying their ever higher rates. if they can get an extra $50 or $100, or whatever from you, that extra money flows right to their bottom line and makes them look like super execs. If you shop around and find lower rates, and you complain to them and threaten to switch insurers, they often find a way to reduce your rate. But they make a ton of extra money on those who simply and passively accept those rate increases, year after year. That's the way it is in the real world. You have to be proactive and be able to challenge them. Or you will be used...
This happened to me. I only discovered the reduced rate after reading this thread. I shopped around first, then called my original company Liberty Mutual and they reduced the rate immediately to nearly match the lowest rate. I also got the feeling in talking to the different companies that they know each other's rates.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:13 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Meh. Geico keeps lowering my rates. They did try to slip an ancilllary service in once, but I said no. My rates keep ticking down as I get older and my record stays clean.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's exactly what happened to me. Allstate kept raising my rates. Instead of rewarding my loyalty they did the opposite. I cut my auto insurance cost in half by switching, while increasing my coverage. Lesson learned!!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Liberty Mutual did the same to me and on my last quote intended to rape me at $8,000/year. I now pay about $1200 through Geico.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't paid it yet since my 911 still has a few months before coming... But with Progressive, it's about 1500/6 months.

Being 33 with 5 tickets in the past 3 years sucks lol
Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Meh Not so much - take a look

Unfortunately your valuation is not in line with what folks are paying, I guess that is good news for you though. I went ahead and ran a search on cars.com (link below) and the closest car I can find to mine is at porsche of westwood for 74K but it is a cab (which has a lower resale value)

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...39723&zc=32312

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Meh. I've got a '14S, $125k build with similar mileage that I think would get $70-75k for if I sold it today. $58k is probably a little low for your car, but not much, unless your build is super high.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default SF Agent Reply

From my state farm agent...
Those calculators are not the determinant of value in the event of a loss. Your policy does have Actual Cash Value coverage, which means in the event of a loss State Farm will pay what the vehicle is worth at the time of loss. The value is determined by assessing and locating like kind vehicles for sale, then adding and subtracting value based on the condition, mileage and options your vehicle may have. Hope you are enjoying that ride!

PS. I found one with 22K miles listed for 79500.

NMLS#L033585

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Unfortunately your valuation is not in line with what folks are paying, I guess that is good news for you though. I went ahead and ran a search on cars.com (link below) and the closest car I can find to mine is at porsche of westwood for 74K but it is a cab (which has a lower resale value)

Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Asking prices on cars.com or Crackhead's list are not actual sale prices...

Like I said, that number was probably low for your car, but not by as much as you might think.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:38 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Support your opinion please

My insurance agent used his source and cane back with 74k for a car wit much higher milage. If you are a stealer wholesale is not what insurance reimburses for. If you have other real day to offer great let's see it otherwise your comments don't really mean anything. I have been watching the market for over a year.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Asking prices on cars.com or Crackhead's list are not actual sale prices...

Like I said, that number was probably low for your car, but not by as much as you might think.
support yo
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 131 Posts

Philly 74 YO no points.. no accidents... no nothin' but pay 3600/year to USAA 2018 C4S CAB.
Actually never paid, no pun intended, no attention until I read this thread.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

My insurance agent used his source and cane back with 74k for a car wit much higher milage. If you are a stealer wholesale is not what insurance reimburses for. If you have other real day to offer great let's see it otherwise your comments don't really mean anything. I have been watching the market for over a year.
As have I, and buying and selling Porsches, and watching friends buy and sell Porsches, including 911s. I have a very nice 2014 C2S with about $125k build, 8k miles on it, and there's no way I would get more than $75k for it today. Don't care, because I never intend to sell it, but if I did, it's probably a $70,000 car today. On a good day. Of course, if you're lucky some rube might come along, but the reality is, these cars drop like rocks during the first 3-5 years of life. Brand new, 2.5 years ago, I only paid $96k for it (it was one year old from production - no miles). So it had depreciated about 25% in the first year alone, without even being driven.

Back on topic, I'm stunned at what some people on this thread are paying for insurance.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

About $450 every 6. Midwest, State Farm.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And I am sitting here going WTF... I am driving a freaking civic and paying $120 a month. Maybe cause I'm a 24 year old kid? But still, no accidents... Something is wrong here

Quick Reply: What do you pay for Insurance