Sponsored by:

Frustrated with service department

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:20 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Frustrated with service department

I am not going to name the dealer and service department I am dealing with because I wanted to get some feedback here to find out if my experience is common or not.
So I schedule my first year service and the recall work on my 911.2 C2s for this morning. I scheduled online and asked them to call me. They called me in the middle of the week and told me the recall would take three hours and that they have the parts. Great! So I get there (7:30 am) and am informed that they may not be able to do the recall today. What? Didn't we talk about that in the middle of the week? No explanation was given to me. I am pretty easy going most of the time but I was not happy about that. They gave me a loaner car at least. Maybe some service techs are out? They did not tell me anything like that. Oh yeah, and the time for the recall I was quoted at the dealer this morning ranged from 6hrs to 2.5 hrs. So how common is this to clearly schedule a service and then be informed it may not be done?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Seems like it's common practice for them to run behind, overbook, and not be accurate on promises. Enjoy the free loaner. Take a nice weekend ride with it.

Funny, a service advisor told me once people try and book for a Friday knowing their car won't be ready so they get the loaner for a whole weekend to rack on a bunch of free miles
Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Since my dealer provides service loaners (always new, nice vehicles that have ranged from 911 Cab (Black edition) to a Panny 4 to Cayennes and Boxsters), it doesn't matter to me how long they take. I drop it off at the appointed time, swap keys and they call when it's done. Sometimes quicker than estimated, sometimes longer. Then I return and swap out vehicles when I have the time (always that day or the next morning). Works well.

If they weren't providing loaners, or I opted to wait based on an estimated time, I'd have a different perspective.

And if I needed my car for something, I'd schedule around that, rather than take the chance of mine not being done on time.

I also use the concept of "maintenance minutes", learned from many years flying in the Navy. Whatever time you're given, triple it!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I have found that waiting based on estimated time has not worked out. If they quite 2 hrs., it always saves to take 4 hrs. I am done with that approach and now its loaner only.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:41 PM
ddodds
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Be thankful you received a loaner, drive the snot out of it with a smile on your face! Did you remember to insist that they NOT wash your car when finished?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Yep, my dealer is almost always behind by at at least a couple of days and for some reason they always need you to bring the car in on the scheduled date and then tell me to expect them to take a few days to get the car back to me. I was lucky just a couple of weeks ago in that they got the car back to me by the end of the second day. It's been like that for years here but it is a limitation of their current shop size. Sometimes it has taken nearly a week to get the car back. Fortunately they are about to build at a new location and are increasing the shop size and staff dramatically.

But yeah, take the loaner and enjoy some long drives. On the downside, I was given a Macan loaner and was enjoying it vigorously... resulting in my first speeding ticket in a few years and that was with simple radar. Too bad I didn't move the radar detector over, I just took it out and left it at home.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:14 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will chill out and just go with the flow since my experience seems to be the norm. Live and learn!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:20 PM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

However, please ensure you rate them a 10 out of 10 on the service follow up questionnaire! If for any reason you don't feel you received exemplary service, please let them make it right!

haha.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
However, please ensure you rate them a 10 out of 10 on the service follow up questionnaire! If for any reason you don't feel you received exemplary service, please let them make it right!

haha.
Yeah, I will have an evil gleam in my eye filling that one out!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Yeah, I will have an evil gleam in my eye filling that one out!
http://jalopnik.com/here-is-how-you-...urv-1795885547
Old 06-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Seems like it's common practice for them to run behind, overbook, and not be accurate on promises. Enjoy the free loaner. Take a nice weekend ride with it.

Funny, a service advisor told me once people try and book for a Friday knowing their car won't be ready so they get the loaner for a whole weekend to rack on a bunch of free miles
That'd be the day they run out of loaners and you get the Enterprise Chevy Aveo.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos

haha.

Isn't that funny??? They always mention that you give them a perfect score. Say something critical and they know it's you and obviously doesn't work in your favor.

A flawed system and rating system.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't get the surveys for service appointments that aren't flawless....
Old 06-09-2017, 06:32 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

I would only get really frustrated if they didn't have you in a loaner.

The 2 times I had to drive a loaner for a few days was when they started a repair and needed some additional parts flew in to finish. Other then that at least the dealer in Nashville has been very respectful with my time.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:05 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

I rarely go to car dealerships and my experience with the Lexus dealership in my area has been great with zero surprises. Sounds like that is the exception rather the rule. I think with my Porsche dealership I will follow the advice here and bring the car in for work and be ready for anything no matter how clear any plans were for the work beforehand. The loaner is a 2016 Cayenne S Hybrid. I was unimpressed with it until I found the sport mode button then it was MUCH better

Ended well. Dealer had the car ready by 4:30 and got the recall done.

Last edited by dflowerz; 06-09-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with service department