Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by madx87
Thanks for the detailed instructions

Just to give everyone an idea of how small these things are:

Rear bottom piece of steering wheel where heating switch is located

heating switch removed from steering wheel housing

Porsche key for comparison to resistor size
So in order to get the heated part to work, you need to remove the resistors from the old wheel and put them into the new wheel?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM
madx87
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by qtong
So in order to get the heated part to work, you need to remove the resistors from the old wheel and put them into the new wheel?
No, the new wheel switch has to be modified. The switch board has two resistors, one which has to be removed and one which needs to be replaced, the picture I posted is with the work done. The gpsadapter kit provides the replacement resistor.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Airandwater
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Standard surface mount stuff. Easy if you have there right tools (microscope, fine soldering tip). Harder if you don't.

I would love to have a non-MF steering in the 991.1 GT3 style but with heating. The MF controls do nothing for me. But I don't think such a thing exists.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by Airandwater
Standard surface mount stuff. Easy if you have there right tools (microscope, fine soldering tip). Harder if you don't.

I would love to have a non-MF steering in the 991.1 GT3 style but with heating. The MF controls do nothing for me. But I don't think such a thing exists.
I've done a fair amount of surface mount soldering, just never anything that size. Fine tip and smaller gauge solder I assume. How would you keep it in place? Helping hands would be too large.

The new wheels are supposed to be modular, meaning that you could potentially have the non MF wheel with the heating. I'm not 100% sure but I do think it it is doable.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM
madx87
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

its absolutely doable i consider myself a novice at this stuff which is why i found it difficult, i used tweezers from a precision tool kit to hold it in place and solder and the soldering iron in the other hand. Im sure there are easier ways to do it but im just not skilled in that area
Old 08-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Airandwater
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, jewellers tweezers are helpful. Also serve as a heat sink when soldering the small stuff.

The steering wheels may be modular, but the parts don't seem to be available seperately. So I'd have to buy a MF wheel with heating and a non-MF wheel without and then transfer the left and right inserts from the Non-MF to the MF one. Could then make a MF one with no heating and sell that I suppose.

Last edited by Airandwater; 08-22-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Found this thread on a search so...what I have NOT seen asked here (maybe b/c there are so few of us). What happens if I do NOT have a MF steering wheel (Sport Design actually), MT? Specifically (three questions):
CAN I get the MF to work on the new wheel (like phone, volume, scroll wheel for gauge, etc. - I don't have or care about heated steering wheel)?
Can I get the little 'selector' wheel to work (sport modes, etc.)?
What WILL work vs. will NOT work (based on the scenarios above)?
Thanks for the clarification! -Dom
Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Found this thread on a search so...what I have NOT seen asked here (maybe b/c there are so few of us). What happens if I do NOT have a MF steering wheel (Sport Design actually), MT? Specifically (three questions):
CAN I get the MF to work on the new wheel (like phone, volume, scroll wheel for gauge, etc. - I don't have or care about heated steering wheel)?
Sport design upgrade to latest MF wheel with adapter works,SC **** not support in current adapter,only support LED indicator SC status like this video
Old 10-06-2017, 10:30 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes and no ... MF yes with this adapter.

He’s working on the wheel for all models

https://gpsadapter.us
Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

This is great but i do not see a PRICE for the adapter on the website - MT (no paddles), coming from sport design steering wheel, how much $$?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Yuan Li
Instructor

This is great but i do not see a PRICE for the adapter on the website - MT (no paddles), coming from sport design steering wheel, how much $$?
You can select new steering wheel "Without heating support",Original wheel as "sport design without heating",select your Porsche model year,then you will get adapter part number "STMV1" $349
Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Under products...$349
Old 10-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Just did the swap. Those resistors are tiny! It took a lot of focus and careful hands but I was able to get the soldering done.

Last edited by Capt_and; 01-27-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:24 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Capt_and

Just did the swap. Those resistors are tiny! It took a lot of focus and careful hands but I was able to get the soldering done.

Something worth noting, make sure to fully unplug all of the connectors from the wheel before removing it or the clock spring will come loose and unwind. They don't currently have clock springs with PDK available (as far as I can tell) so it won't be as easy as replacing it. I bought the clock spring that went with my VIN and asked the dealer to verify that it was for PDK since my research led me to believe that it was for a manual. Once I put the new one on it was clear that it was for manuals only. Fortunately I was able to wind mine back up properly and reinstall it.
What are the resistors for? Mine for the 997 didn’t have it.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by shadow993
What are the resistors for? Mine for the 997 didn €™t have it.
Fit heating function need replace resistor in switch circuit board of new wheel.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (02-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1