Sponsored by:

Long Distance Commuter

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I LOVE driving. I drive about 50,000 miles/year. 35-40k in my DD SUV, and another 10-15k in the Porsche for fun. No way in hell would I want to drive 170 miles/day like the OP, let alone in a 911. Good luck in your search.

I second LexVan.

I'd buy a Panamera. The new model - base will be just fine. More if you have the means. Reasons - the road noise and suspension on the 911. I love mine dearly and daily drive it. But I don't think that I'd enjoy that length of commute in it. Visceral is wonderful. But not for that length of time.

Think of it this way - A small, high performance aerobatic jet is a thing of beauty. For three hours every day ? Nope.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm surprised that some of you like the adaptive cruise control. I find the following distance much too long, even at the minimum setting, for urban use (people keep cutting in front of you). And on the open road, the system slows you down as you approach a slower vehicle so gradually that you wind up traveling 10-20 mph slower than you want without even noticing it.

About the only place it's useful is in a long, single-lane highway construction zone, where neither of the above disadvantages is problematic.

I wouldn't accept a car with adaptive cruise that couldn't be switched to standard "dumb" cruise control if you gave me a$5000 discount.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:28 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I'm surprised that some of you like the adaptive cruise control. I find the following distance much too long, even at the minimum setting, for urban use (people keep cutting in front of you). And on the open road, the system slows you down as you approach a slower vehicle so gradually that you wind up traveling 10-20 mph slower than you want without even noticing it.

About the only place it's useful is in a long, single-lane highway construction zone, where neither of the above disadvantages is problematic.

I wouldn't accept a car with adaptive cruise that couldn't be switched to standard "dumb" cruise control if you gave me a$5000 discount.
Same - I hate this technology. Whatever happened to simply paying attention?

Most women I know (Wife, sister, mom, ex wife, sister in law, etc. etc.) do this.... 3 cars on the road. You, a tractor trailer 1 mile in front of you in your lane and a random car one mile behind you. They approach the truck only to wait until the last minute before applying the brakes and are stuck behind the truck; no signal. Then complain that the car behind them that has now caught up won't let them over... All this instead maintaining speed and planning a pass in advance and signaling with no effect on traffic flow.

These technologies are dumbing down an already stupid society of drivers even further.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For that kind of distance and mileage, reliability needs to be taken into account... Jaguar would be out of my picture not matter how nice a GT it might be...

Based on that alone, Mercedes Benz comes to mind. In order to satisfy the comfort and fun criteria, it would have to be something like an S-Class Coupe (more comfort), Mercedes-AMG GT (more fun) or SL Roadster (no space but good compromise if no need for much sportiness?)

In any case I too would look to reduce the commute, too many chances to have problems...

Quick Reply: Long Distance Commuter