Sponsored by:

991 4s Coupe vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
The power of the turbo is the difference. It is faster and a tad laggier.
Thus is the key question. You get more power with the 911 turbo but also more lag.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. I've driven a 991.2 GTS and it had tons of power, but fairly linear power delivery compared to a 991.2 Turbo.
I'd rather have less lag and a bit less power but that's ultimately up to you.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Thus is the key question. You get more power with the 911 turbo but also more lag.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. I've driven a 991.2 GTS and it had tons of power, but fairly linear power delivery compared to a 991.2 Turbo.
I'd rather have less lag and a bit less power but that's ultimately up to you.
I'm curious.... Does it really have more lag, or is it just that much more noticeably when the turbos kick in?

No doubt, when you get on it in the Turbo you feel it. When accelerating hard, but not WOT, it seems fairly linear to me.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious about the following.
Does the .2 Carrera line exhibit higher propensity for heat soak when driving on the track? The Turbo appears (at least superficially) to have a more developed heat exchange facility.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,462 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
I'm curious.... Does it really have more lag, or is it just that much more noticeably when the turbos kick in?

No doubt, when you get on it in the Turbo you feel it. When accelerating hard, but not WOT, it seems fairly linear to me.
Totally agree.

The Turbo actually has alot of native power OFF boost. Plenty of power, in fact. It's just that when it gets on boost, there is a definite surge.

I guess you can call that lag, by definition. That said, I mostly think negatively of lag in low displacement cars that have zip below boost. Where you press the gas and practically nothing happens before the turbos kick in.

The C4 is much more linear in the way the turbos spool up. It's not like any turbo I've ever driven. Lag is miniscule with that car. For people who despise boosted cars, the 3.0 is as good as turbos can get.

Personally, I like the surge of power in the Turbo. It's still quite quick before the turbo spools, but that burst of power is just fun. It feels a bit more antisocial and juvenile compared to the C4.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,520 Likes on 5,051 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Totally agree.

The Turbo actually has alot of native power OFF boost. Plenty of power, in fact. It's just that when it gets on boost, there is a definite surge.

I guess you can call that lag, by definition. That said, I mostly think negatively of lag in low displacement cars that have zip below boost. Where you press the gas and practically nothing happens before the turbos kick in.

The C4 is much more linear in the way the turbos spool up. It's not like any turbo I've ever driven. Lag is miniscule with that car. For people who despise boosted cars, the 3.0 is as good as turbos can get.

Personally, I like the surge of power in the Turbo. It's still quite quick before the turbo spools, but that burst of power is just fun. It feels a bit more antisocial and juvenile compared to the C4.
While agree the 3.0L in the 991.2 911 is quite the marvel in replicating a NA engine feel, I would say the 3.9L V8 TT in the Ferrari 488 might be the best, if not the best, FI engine when it comes to replicating the linearity of a NA engine. Chalk it up to the "Variable Torque Management" system devised by the elves at Maranello, I guess.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While agree the 3.0L in the 991.2 911 is quite the marvel in replicating a NA engine feel, I would say the 3.9L V8 TT in the Ferrari 488 might be the best, if not the best, FI engine when it comes to replicating the linearity of a NA engine. Chalk it up to the "Variable Torque Management" system devised by the elves at Maranello, I guess.
Perhaps but you can take any Porsche out and beat on it worry free. The ferrari won't even hold up to multiple launches and would be awful to daily drive or road trip in. It i however a marvel A to A or track car if you can afford one.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,520 Likes on 5,051 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Perhaps but you can take any Porsche out and beat on it worry free. The ferrari won't even hold up to multiple launches and would be awful to daily drive or road trip in. It i however a marvel A to A or track car if you can afford one.
Ok, but I think you miss my point.

I wasn't trying to say which car was better (or which engine was better for that matter).

Just trying to make a point that in terms of replicating a NA linear feel, the 3.9L V8 in the 488 probably does a better job than any other FI engine on the market.

That doesn't, in and of itslef, make the 488 better (or worse) than any other car. The 911 included.

Quick Reply: 991 4s Coupe vs Turbo