Sponsored by:

Awesome visit to local......

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:23 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

The sales guy should have said:

"OK. I'd be happy to order one with MT and whatever option you'd like. Let's go see if I can get you an allocation."

Then again, did you ask?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:31 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther

"OK. I'd be happy to order one with MT and whatever option you'd like. Let's go see if I can get you an allocation."

Then again, did you ask?
It's also the end of the month.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Why do PDK driver's act so defensive? Sheesh. To each his own.
It's a thread about a DB salesperson.
And yes. I am surprised he pushed the issue so hard. If Porsche North America has realized their miscalculation and that there is a big market for manuals still, I'd expect them to hire SAs that still have proper respect for the brand and it's heritage.
Last, I stand by my assertion that most PDK owners drive in Auto mode most of the time.
You create an entire thread about a salesman simply doing his job and you call other people defensive?

And I think the word you were searching for was opinion, rather than assertion. Which would be wrong, particularly among Rennlisters.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Then again, did you ask?
Or maybe, just maybe, from his actual experience selling Porsches for years, he knows that the vast majority of people who walk in off the street asking about cars in inventory are more likely to prefer the PDK once they drive it and that the average guy/gal who really wants a manual would be talking allocation right from the start, rather than shopping cars in inventory. So he's maybe just playing the odds, rather than being a douche bag. Just a thought.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:51 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I asked and got it.

Not difficult if you have an SA who knows and respects you. I have purchased 4 Porsches 2 Audis and one Mercedes from this dealership. Unfortunately, I have been treated like trash at other dealerships who do not know me. I show them my checkbook in my pocket and tell them I want to pay cash. I always show up in my PU truck to see how they will respond. Sometimes I show up in coveralls. I am caucasion. I am always treated poorly. I have been chased out of the many distinguished dealerships in major cities.

I have a much worse story of ill-judged abuse. I have a very distinguished college roomate who is black and a physician who wanted to purchase a Mercedes in Kansas City when he was in the Army. He walked into the dealership and no one would spealk with him. He turned around and walked out to the Jaguar dealership up the street. He paid cash for a new Jaguar Sedan and then bought a new XKE a few years later.

When will SAs treat all people kindly? There is no need for this behavior. Please look at this month's Consumer Report that provides evidence that car insurance companies charge more for black than white clients.

When will this nonsense stop?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Then again, did you ask?
As a matter of fact I did not ask. In fact, I asked exactly what I said I asked, because I wondered if he had any on the lot, not that I could order and receive in four months. But it's a good idea, I just was not in the mood to look for an allocation.
Generally when I ask something, it's because that's the question I wish to ask.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You create an entire thread about a salesman simply doing his job and you call other people defensive?

And I think the word you were searching for was opinion, rather than assertion. Which would be wrong, particularly among Rennlisters.
Proof? Poll? And did I ever mention saying this only about Rennlisters​? I don't recall saying this was only about Rennlisters. I recall saying it about pdk drivers in general.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:24 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do PDK driver's act so defensive? Sheesh. To each his own.
It's a thread about a DB salesperson.
And yes. I am surprised he pushed the issue so hard. If Porsche North America has realized their miscalculation and that there is a big market for manuals still, I'd expect them to hire SAs that still have proper respect for the brand and it's heritage.
the people who create these threads are usually manual drivers claiming something about connection to the machine or pure driving experience. PDK drivers never create these threads.

And Porsche clearly didn't make a mistake. The majority of their sports cars are PDK and their #1 selling vehicle is an SUV. Tell me again about heritage and I'll tell you about a company that was going out of business before the Cayenne came out. The only car that deserves a manual is the GT3 which it now has.

You guys are bashing a sales guy for selling the car he sells the most of and the only version he has on the lot.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:25 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I think most PDK drivers use Auto most of the time, certainly if you include the sedan and SUVs. I'd still guess most 911 PDK drivers use Auto at least 80% of their drive miles.

I'd put my personal ratio after 11,000 miles at 98% manual, 2% Auto. If you make it street only (exclude track miles), I'd say 99% manual, 1% Auto. Auto is great on track, Manual is great on street.

As to the SA; I don't know the OP's relationship with the SA, but I assume the SA saw a male human walk in through the door and start claiming he's a manual driver and that's how he'd want HIS 911. I would also assume the SA gets 15 Subaru BRZ and Miata and 350Z drivers a week doing the same thing. I'd further assume that when he actually talks to a person who is prepared to pull out his checkbook and BUY a 911, the SA's experience is that such a person is nearly always wanting a PDK.

I bet he thought you were in the BRZ/Miata camp...

(All my Porsches before the current one have been manual. In recent years I've had to either order or buy used to get one.)
Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Boy, I'm sensing a lot of hostility here from PDK drivers.
Here's what I know:
I went into a dealer and asked if they had any nice manual choices. Instead of an affirmative or a negative, I received a lecture regarding the SAs racing prowess in SCCA, and a lecture to the effect that even though I think I like manual, I probably will like PDK better.
And now, on this forum, I've had my testosterone level questioned, my appearance and persona questioned, and my ability to pose a question questioned.
Is this simply projection and transference from the PDK crowd? Wow, what's the source of this hostility?
By the way, the story was for entertainment purposes only, to share a little frustration with enthusiasts. I'm sorry anyone might have somehow interpreted this as PDK bashing.

​Did the Russians troll this to get it heated?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm the opposite. I drive mostly to and from work. There are so many idiots on the road that I'd rather not have to think about shifting. I mainly use manual for spirited drives in the Hill Country where I want to keep it in a gear so I don't have to hit my brakes on the twistys.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Porsche dealership this AM.
Me:. Wow, you have some really pretty cars here. Do you have any with a manual?
SA:. No, we order all with PDK.
Me:. Oh, that's too bad. I like to shift myself.
SA:. Well, lots of people say that, but then I take them for a ride and show them what PDK can do, and they end up getting one of these. I used to race SCCA, and I lost a race once because of a bad shift.
Me:. Oh, well, I don't race so I really like to shift myself, and practice heel toe.
SA:. Did you know PDK is faster?
Me:. Yes, but I don't need it to be faster.
SA:. Well, you could buy a PDK and drive it manually. That's what I do.
Me:. Oh, well, according to what I read on line, most people who buy PDK think shifting sounds fun, but ultimately they almost always drove in Auto mode.
SA:. Well, that's their choice. That's their choice.
Me: oh.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
You're surprised that a salesman, whose livelihood and that of his family is dependent upon selling cars, tried to sell you one of the cars he had in stock?

Rennlist needs one of those signs that says "_7_ Days Since The Last Thinly Veiled PDK Bashing Thread"

BTW, I'll bet you most PDK owners drive in manual mode most of the time, though I know that fact hurts the narrative of these threads

What do old men in Depends and Porsche's have in common?

They like to shift themselves........

VV No hostility here, I'm done with that.... I just crack up at the drama over .1 vs. .2 or PDK vs. Manual etc.

Last edited by JustBud; 05-31-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

To quote a tee shirt I saw recently on YouTube "driving with PDK frees up your right hand to scratch your vagina".
Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 PM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez. So much over a transmission. Buy what you like, shift how you like. It is fine to have choices. (I chose PDK). Never really calculate what percentage of the time I am in what mode. Seems juvenile
to me

Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is going to be another epic thread...

Quick Reply: Awesome visit to local......