Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by yer_man
Needsdecaf,
as a fellow Houstonian, I'm wondering where your "test road" is?

("It's the only decent road around and there are many car dealerships along the highway in the area. The GT3, as expected, is the most capable car I've driven on this road.")

As you well know, curvey roads are hard to find here -- unless you're content with 35 mph on Memorial Drive in the Villages -- so I'm interested in your "find" of a decent road in H-town.
Heh, don't get too excited. I'll send you a PM, but it's really short, good only for test drives and that's it.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wait, those things in the back of my C2S are back seats?! I thought they were for holding very small bags of groceries.
There are times I wish my kids would turn into small bags of groceries.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:43 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

It doesn't have the GT3 race car suspension which is very different than the carrera suspension even the SPASM option.
Very different, in which way. Is the suspension stiffer than the SPASM in 'normal' mode?
I'm driving a 991.1 GTS with manuel transmission and SPASM, and i'm thinking about changing to the new GT3. My kids are 13 and 14 years old, and too big for the back seats, so i don't need the back seats any more. But, i don't want the suspension stiffer than it is now in the 'normal' mode, because in 'sport' mode it's allready too stif for me.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I still think that a de-winged, manual, with rear seat 991.2 GT3 might be the perfect 911 in my mind. Perhaps one day down the road I might buy a Touring pack car (no rear wing, manual only) and add the rear seats from a coupe. I'm sure it can be done. Until then, I'll enjoy my Carrera S and keep dreaming about how awesome that run in the GT3 was. I'll remember it fondly.
thanks for the *fantastic* write up.

I just started to think about a 911 as my next car. My kids are grown up and not long will be out of college which we are paying for a fortune. So I can see in the near future some money being available for a nice car.

I had driven of note;
-Z3 (was the first gen four cylinder) and too slow and not really much of a car.
-S2000 very fun and capable and rewarding 9000 red line but was too small for me at 6-2, I did own it for 5-6 years but really never took it on long drives.
-e92 M3 (again a screamer 8400 red line) this was a dual clutch and I drove this also for 5-6 years. I found it great (not GREAT) meaning it was more of a muscle car than a sports car with it's size and weight. I understand the 911 is not a small car anymore but, I think it's a bit smaller than the M3.

So I got to thinking about the new 991.2 with the base or S or GTS engine, I like both dual clutch and MT but with the 7MT in the 911 (I think I'd pass and rather get the SMG( I've heard word Porsche may bring back the 6MT in next 911 but don't know. Anyways, I do love twin clutch anyway and I'm not getting any younger so maybe the twin clutch would be the way to go anyway.

But, I got to thinking about the GT3 (really the 911R as well) and if they could put the GT3 engine in a more road going car like a GTS body that might be the way I'd opt.

About 10 years ago, I drove a supercar event where I got to drive F340, SLR, Gallardo and GT3 on the street, only 20 minutes each and on public roads but I was left with a desire for a F430 but the GT3 was nearly as good for $100K less.

So I have always had the itch for the GT3 but at the price (options) were nearly at $170K give or take.

So, I really can't ponder if I'd be better off getting a very nice Carrera or Carrera S for $100-$120K and having another $50K left over. Heck even get a nice sedan on the side for daily driving and a nice 911 Carrera for weekend driving, best of both worlds.

I mean, the base or S are still fantastic and great maybe better on the street? Ans less likely to get me arrested as you say.

I do love the idea of an exotic or supercar but if I wasn't taking it to the track or not often, then some of the extra goodies would be left unused. Like it would be a tiger in a cage instead of in it's natural habitat.

So the thought in my head

-love the GT3, want the GT3
-but the GT3 is very expensive and maybe not the best car on the street and maybe if I spend GT3 money, I won't feel like having a very nice everyday car like (whatever) a nice E class or some other nice sedan or nice SUV.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
Are the differences between PDK-S and PDK based on hardware, software or both?
Thanks
Here is a link to details about the PDK-S from another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12081507

NeedsDecaf, Thank you for the nice write-up. So far I've been sticking with the philosophy of not driving a car I'm not ready to buy so I won't know what I'm missing... but your description certainly increases the temptation to do so!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:08 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Or do GT3s even offer a SR option? I hope not, but they probably do nowadays.
GT3, RS, GT4 do not come with the option for a sun roof, or attachment points for a roof rack either.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I like the way you guys look at it, but I want to daily drive a 911 for the rest of my life if possible.

Like others have said, when the kids outgrow the back seats, it's GT3 time. Until then Carrera/S/4S/GTS. Not everyone is so lucky.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There's a lot more to it than just unbolting a wing. You have to replace the entire rear decklid and spoiler. Compare that picture above to a .1 GT3.
Yes this is true. But it's just four bolts (see link below). That said, I don't know whether the retractable rear spoiler would work as I'm not sure the GT3 has the programming and wiring harness for it. I personally wouldn't care if it didn't work, but I know some people like it. Also am not sure what has to be done to adapt the engine air intake on the GT3 to the non-GT3 lid, but obviously it's been done.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-removal.html
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Porsche9284
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great write-up

I am also looking at getting a 991.2 gt3 but not sure if I will miss the torque in my 997.2 manual turbo. Would love to test drive one but don't think I will be able too. Have a desposit on one but am truly torn.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:34 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I hope Porsche reads this thread and they'll have some idea of what future enthusiasts want. I don't think I have ever read about people getting to test drive GT3 at dealerships, so OP must be special. One way you can do it though is at the Porsche Experience. I went to the one in LA and drove an RS. I was amazed how much I loved the car-experience was very similar to that of Needsdecaf. Awesome car. Fine for regular roads. I want one.

Jim
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
GT3, RS, GT4 do not come with the option for a sun roof, or attachment points for a roof rack either.
Ah, well good. I don't like sunroofs.

As for GT4, I knew that didn't have it because even regular Caymans don't offer a sunroof option, unless that's changed with 718.

So to my point, a simple (but not cheap) replacement deck would be a ducktail on a GT3. Nothing to reprogram. Looks like it should be a simple Bolt Off, Bolt On proposition. And obviously the ducktail/widebody combo is the best looking rear end the 991 has ever known.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:22 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tremendous write up - very much appreciated the time, effort and care that went into this.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:59 PM
rai
Instructor

Originally Posted by budrichard
I have no doubt that the 991.2 GT3 will be a fine machine!
For the Track.
After a year with a 991.2 C4S as a daily driver and Track, I can say that it's potential on road is simply way to fast to safely use any of it's potential with any traffic around.
With the LCA, ACC, Bose, PDK, PCM, it becomes a very nice Tollway/Expressway cruiser.
On Track it's very capable when I'm not scaring myself, it's too much car for me.
As to 'Going to Jail', I would like to avoid that and with current Law Enforcement, using the capabilities of these vehicles puts you at high risk.

So a 991.2 GT3 sure gets the pulse and Gear Acquisition Juices flowing but unless you just want to look at it in your garage and fantasize, for me unless I Tracked it, it would be a book end.-Richard
this is very interesting. I was thinking about the GT3 (although I don't track as yet) and when I had my M3 never tracked it. I fear these non-racing street cars like the M3 might get undue wear and tear on the race track. With a GT3 less of a concern.

However, it was almost as if I was thinking I'd do the track if I got a GT3 rather than the other way around (meaning I wanted to do the track that's why the GT3).

I fear, if I got the GT3 it would end up as a show piece and just used on public roads (and maybe ... better to get a much lesser 991 and save the money) the lesser 991 still capable but maybe more livable on public roads and (maybe) with AWD more useable more of the time.

I suppose a 911 Carrera 4 (with PDK) would be best all around if used solely on public roads, better sound isolation (for HW driving, having owned a S2000 which was revving 4000 in 6th gear on the HW could hardly hear the stereo). No need for expensive options like front lift, ceramic brakes, etc..

I know would be missing out on the GT3, if money was no object I would certainly get a GT3 but in real world with $30K to $60K price gap to a GT3 that's not chicken feed and (for me) it would most likely be for the visceral feel (i.e. driving feel) rather than track duty or pushing 70 mph on a 35 mph side road.

So I debate is $50K extra worth the extra visceral feel (better PDK shifts, better sound, NA engine) as well as better looks, more resale value of a GT3 etc..
Old 05-29-2017, 11:38 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rai

So I debate is $50K extra worth the extra visceral feel (better PDK shifts, better sound, NA engine) as well as better looks, more resale value of a GT3 etc..
Let's assume for a minute that you could even get a GT3.

Would it really be more expensive than another Carrera?

A couple years ago I had a friend with a 2015 GT3, selling it right when I was ordering a 2015 GTS. He had paid 159k; sold it with a few thousand miles (including several track days) for 159k.

Had I gone to sell my GTS when it had a few thousand miles and a few (disclosed) track days under its belt, the 136k I paid would have probably been 115k.

So which was cheaper?

(P.S. I chose the GTS for usage reasons; had I been concerned about the financials I'd have stepped up to a GT3.)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 AM
rai
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Let's assume for a minute that you could even get a GT3.

Would it really be more expensive than another Carrera?

A couple years ago I had a friend with a 2015 GT3, selling it right when I was ordering a 2015 GTS. He had paid 159k; sold it with a few thousand miles (including several track days) for 159k.

Had I gone to sell my GTS when it had a few thousand miles and a few (disclosed) track days under its belt, the 136k I paid would have probably been 115k.

So which was cheaper?

(P.S. I chose the GTS for usage reasons; had I been concerned about the financials I'd have stepped up to a GT3.)
This is very interesting and true, however will it always be so? There is a question on the GT3 forum about why won't Porsche make more GT3s and who knows maybe they will. Also I've seen that the *new* GT3 is more desirable so might older GT3s lose value is much newer better GT3s are made.

Finally (the elephant in the room) might higher resale be due to *higher* selling price due to dealer mark up? My friend looked to buy a GT3 a few years back was told MSRP plus $40k. So instead of a mid one hundred thousand car it was $200k.

I think if I'm able to get a GT3 at sticker that's better but might also mean Porsche is filling the demand channel more so less unfulfilled demand might bring used prices down some (I don't know).

Quick Reply: GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner