991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017 | 04:55 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

I actually just went from 991.1 Carerra S to 991.1 GT3 on a whim. Im daily driving it for now with limited track use every 1-2 months. At first I missed the comforts and sound insulation of the S which now seems like a luxury cruiser in my mind. I even had thoughts I would have fared better in a GTS and that I had made a mistake. After 1-2 weeks and a track day under my belt all those thoughts were dispelled. I am very happy with the more raw sports car feel and experience of the GT3 even on a daily basis. No going back for me. Just a warning for prospective buyers I did not think I would use the car for frequent track use but as soon as you experience the steering, chasis, and HP at the top end you will have a new expensive and time consuming hobby!
Old 06-02-2017 | 05:02 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by rai
I'm curious regarding this statement, if I'm unlikely to track the car would a GT3 be mega overkill?

I know people say the new GT3 is ok on road, and truth be told not everyone buys something for the same reason. Some people buy art just to look at it. I could buy a GT3 never track it (but maybe I will, to try it). But for the joy of owning something very special and just of owning a super car which I've always wanted to do.

However strictly street driving, probably a non GT maybe even a GTS4 would be the best choice.

See my above post.

If you get a GT3 you will no longer be able to decide about tracking or not tracking. The car will decide for you and you will inevitably have a new hobby. Don't be apprehensive about it just embrace it!
Old 06-02-2017 | 07:22 PM
rai
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
See my above post.

If you get a GT3 you will no longer be able to decide about tracking or not tracking. The car will decide for you and you will inevitably have a new hobby. Don't be apprehensive about it just embrace it!
I'd like to track the car but not race (against other cars). Is that common to just be on the track but not in any danger from other drivers?

I'm close to Summit Point said to be a very nice track.

How is insurance for a race track handled?
Old 06-02-2017 | 07:45 PM
rai
Instructor

I actually just went from 991.1 Carerra S to 991.1 GT3 on a whim. Im daily driving it for now with limited track use every 1-2 months. At first I missed the comforts and sound insulation of the S which now seems like a luxury cruiser in my mind. I even had thoughts I would have fared better in a GTS and that I had made a mistake. After 1-2 weeks and a track day under my belt all those thoughts were dispelled. I am very happy with the more raw sports car feel and experience of the GT3 even on a daily basis. No going back for me. Just a warning for prospective buyers I did not think I would use the car for frequent track use but as soon as you experience the steering, chasis, and HP at the top end you will have a new expensive and time consuming hobby!
Thanks for the info. I've seen posts of Ford GT owners with 88K miles plus so it is possible to DD a high performance super.
Old 06-02-2017 | 07:50 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by rai
I'd like to track the car but not race (against other cars). Is that common to just be on the track but not in any danger from other drivers?
Yes that is the most common way. Most of us don't race other drivers we just share a track. I would say its almost safer on a good track than daily driving now a days due to cell phone toting, two hand texting, oblivious drivers.
Old 06-02-2017 | 10:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-03-2017 | 02:25 AM
asia
Racer

I actually just went from 991.1 Carerra S to 991.1 GT3 on a whim.
I did the reverse switch, but not a whim, 996.2 GT3 (actually two of them) to my new 991.2 C2 MT. I'm done with the tracking, now its fun on the back roads.
Old 06-03-2017 | 10:36 AM
mike.baa
Racer

^^ Interesting! You don't think the GT3 (996) would've still created lots of thrills on the back roads?
Old 06-03-2017 | 01:24 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Default Insurance on the track

For rai: Many of us were formerly covered for DE (Driver Education PCA events) by our regular auto insurance policies. No Longer. Nobody on this forum, that I know of, has come forward and given us the name of an insurance company (do not even consider trusting any insurance broker or agent) that will cover DE in any respect (physical damage, bodily injury, etc.).

If you want to insure your car on track for physical damage only, you need to buy specific track insurance coverage. You can cover specific dates or buy a package, but be prepared for a shock. If you want to have coverage for a car as expensive (and as fast) as a 991.2 GT3 I'd suggest you try meditating on the meaningless nature of physical possessions before you make the click that gives you the cost. PCA provides good waivers and incredibly good coverage for everything else but damage to your car.

I do believe that driving at PCA DE events is generally much safer than driving on public roads, but incidents do happen. If you stay within your own skill limits you will find that the limits and ability of your car are so much higher that it really seems like it can almost protect itself. I have decided to dial the intensity back just a hair, for that little bit of extra margin. So far so good, but I have not been back to Watkins Glen yet this year.
Old 06-03-2017 | 02:42 PM
asia
Racer

Originally Posted by mike.baa
^^ Interesting! You don't think the GT3 (996) would've still created lots of thrills on the back roads?
GT3 is fun on back roads, on track is more fun. Larger size (newer models actually) and suspension may not be ideal for narrow and rough roads. My new car excels here, very fun, feels light with great dynamics, inspires confidence.
Old 06-03-2017 | 02:59 PM
asia
Racer

Originally Posted by kwikit356
I do believe that driving at PCA DE events is generally much safer than driving on public roads, but incidents do happen.
Locally, loss of control and crashes seem more common on track than on street. Insurance rates reflect this reality.
Old 06-13-2017 | 05:24 PM
quattr0
Instructor

I think all Asianese think alike ;-)

Just drove 2015 GT3 over the weekend. While the sound and steering make my '17 C2 manual much to desire, I can't see myself enjoying GT3 on public road, especially in Houston. You would probably be in jail quick. On the track, no doubt! If I could own both, hell ya!!!

My uncle owns the GT3 thought "Your car is fast enough....". I just smile. He hit it really hard in 2nd and just kept driving in 4th on the freeway. I guess he's trying to replicate his 9k rpm gt3 lol
Old 06-14-2017 | 12:24 AM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Great writeup. I had a lot of fun reading it. As a fellow Houstonian I'm curious as to what you considered good driving roads in these parts. All I can think of are a few roads in the Woodlands and maybe (on a quiet afternoon/night) Eldridge immediately north of I-10. There are some fantastic roads in the hill country but those are over 100 miles away.

I also got to drive the GT3 when I was looking at 911s late last year. While the car didn't actually feel noticeably faster in a straight line, the one thing that really stood out over the 991.1 GTS I ended up buying was how much of a difference the rear wheel steering made. It makes a massive difference in low speed agility as well as high speed stability.
Old 06-21-2017 | 03:52 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

I'm interested to get your thoughts further on this as someone considering making a similar jump. I actually just took delivery of my 991.2 C4 which *already* feels overpowered for the roads here in Hawaii, especially at higher RPMs when the turbos kick in. However, my C4 is a 2 year lease and I'm already looking ahead to securing a .2 GT3 allocation for when my 2 year lease is up since it looks like I would have to wait that long anyways putting my name on the list today.

There are no tracks here in Hawaii, and to further add emphasis to the limited spirited driving situations here, we have the lowest speed limits in the nation at 55mph on most freeways. But every place has pros and cons as I spend just about each day taking pictures of my C4 against the ocean and beach and sunrise/sunset I love my 911 even though I likely don't ever approach half of it's capability because of the passion, design, sportiness, daily drivability, and just how it's a swiss army knife, even here in Hawaii. I don't have any qualms taking it to the grocery store, or valet at a nice dinner, or to the gym or running errands around town. Super fun even at low speeds on some twisty roads. Just my humble opinion.

With that being said, I've always lusted after a GT3 (especially the 991's) and in 2 years time I'm considering buying a 991.1 GT3 if I can't get a euro delivery .2 allocation (a bucket list item of mine). I just wonder *how* overkill a GT3 would be here in Hawaii compared to my 991.2 C4. I do know that there are a handful of 991 GT3 and GT3RS owners here on island so I will also try to reach out to them to get their input on it.

The GT3 would be *purely* a daily driver for me, and my rationale behind it is 1) I have always loved the design of the GT3 (aerokit, CL wheels) especially against the GTS (just my opinion), it just really speaks to me and 2) the NA engine especially now with all Carreras turbocharged. If the power delivery is more linear on the NA engine as compared with my C4, even better as inevitably this 3.0 engine does spike when the turbos kick in where I have no choice but to stay pinpointed on my MPH reading since it just jumps in gobs after 3000 RPM inconsistent with lower RPMs and then before I know it I am above the speed limit by a good margin.

As a daily driver though, I know that creature comforts would be sacrificed like rearview camera, park assist, you'd have less noise insulation (I am positive I would love it at first but don't know about long term), and the suspension would likely be much stiffer. And if the car isn't "fun" at lower RPM or doesn't come alive until the 7500-9000 band, I doubt I would really get to taste that experience other than a great 0-60 spot where you have to stop before merging on the freeway on one exit here in Honolulu.

Again it seems like a GT3 in Hawaii would be akin to using a sledgehammer to kill a fly (massive overkill) since we have lower speed limits, no track, and I would solely use it as a daily driver so you lose a ton of creature comforts. But the passion, design, NA engine, and heritage still do speak to me and there are at least 5-10 991 GT3s and GT3RS's on island being driven around and used just as I intend to as one hell of a daily driver..
Old 06-21-2017 | 06:42 PM
quattr0
Instructor

I understand you asked Jarhead32 but...I have a '17 C2 and just drove '15 GT3 a week or two ago so I could somewhat relate to 991.2 C4 you have. This is my personal opinion: the NA engine from small streets driving didn't wow me. If you hit it hard, you will probably enjoy at the track or you probably be in trouble with officers at non-track area. Don't get the bucket seats unless you're single and don't mind a bit inconvenient getting in and out. Comfort (handling wise) is not an issue for me in the GT3 as DD. It would probably get old quickly for me if it's a DD due to engine sound (it's angry vs. my a tad dull turbo C2 w PSE). Again this is personal opinion. The steering feel though, 2nd to none!

Quick Reply: GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner