Sponsored by:

GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
It seems logical that the Touring package will be MT w/o seats. Porsche is now pitching PDK for ultimate sport and MT for ultimate involvement which seems to keep the internet purists from being overly agitated. I doubt it will be difficult to delete the wing on a .2 GT3 w/ PDK and substitute the touring pack parts required to replace the wing and finish the deck lid. The rear seats will be more of a challenge I suspect. The car is not, iMHO, a very good daily driver for a variety of reasons. Even w/ the front lift unforeseen road irregularities will cause the suspension to hit the limits and potentially damage the front end. The old sport cup tires were not up to heavy rain and along with cool temps their grip is shaky at best. The new tires may prove better. The wing is an obstacle in traffic. The adrenaline and brevity of a test drive may not reveal this, but over time the extra effort to negotiate traffic becomes noticeable. The upper rev band is unusable in daily driving, despite all its glory, even driving in manual from 1st, taking the engine to 9K is not feasible in traffic. The acquisition of speed is such that reaction times in traffic are not sufficient to avoid unpredictable drivers. As a weekend car on less congested roads the car is everything one could hope for in a sports car. I had reservations about the .1 GT3 engine and sold my 15. I now have a 17 C2S and have a December build for a .2 GT3. I am very pleased w/ the .2 C2S and, believe it or not, I still go back and forth about getting the GT3. However, the siren song of the new 4.0L engine is powerful and difficult to resist.
Want to add some comments from someone who has also owned both cars.

I agree with fact that if the wing really offends someone or they hate driving with it, you can get rid of it. It will certainly cost several thousand, but its doable. You will make the car less stable at triple digit speeds or on the track, but it won't affect you with basic spirited driving.
I also agree you wont use the upper rev band in regular driving, but you can definitely use it on your weekend or later evening drives, and it is glorious.

I daily my GT3 half the week in SoCal with major traffic. It took a little getting used to with the wing and cops notice me more than a regular carrera, but you can still definitely daily a GT3 if you want. Some people may not be able to deal with the reduced rear visibility or that it's definitely louder inside the GT3 even at low RPM than a carrera. GT3 is plenty comfortable over bumps, but firmer than carrera.

Disagree on the damage to front. The front end is low but unless you live somewhere with just crazy roads, you won't damage your front end as long as you get a GT3 with front axle lift.

Tires are a non issue. If you don't track your car all the time, just put super sports on the GT3 instead of the PSC2s. Then you have great traction for rain, and even if tires are cold. You can even track the super sports if you want.

Last edited by Drifting; 05-28-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
It seems logical that the Touring package will be MT w/o seats. Porsche is now pitching PDK for ultimate sport and MT for ultimate involvement which seems to keep the internet purists from being overly agitated. I doubt it will be difficult to delete the wing on a .2 GT3 w/ PDK and substitute the touring pack parts required to replace the wing and finish the deck lid. The rear seats will be more of a challenge I suspect. The car is not, iMHO, a very good daily driver for a variety of reasons. Even w/ the front lift unforeseen road irregularities will cause the suspension to hit the limits and potentially damage the front end. The old sport cup tires were not up to heavy rain and along with cool temps their grip is shaky at best. The new tires may prove better. The wing is an obstacle in traffic. The adrenaline and brevity of a test drive may not reveal this, but over time the extra effort to negotiate traffic becomes noticeable. The upper rev band is unusable in daily driving, despite all its glory, even driving in manual from 1st, taking the engine to 9K is not feasible in traffic. The acquisition of speed is such that reaction times in traffic are not sufficient to avoid unpredictable drivers. As a weekend car on less congested roads the car is everything one could hope for in a sports car. I had reservations about the .1 GT3 engine and sold my 15. I now have a 17 C2S and have a December build for a .2 GT3. I am very pleased w/ the .2 C2S and, believe it or not, I still go back and forth about getting the GT3. However, the siren song of the new 4.0L engine is powerful and difficult to resist.
Originally Posted by Drifting
Want to add some comments from someone who has also owned both cars.
I agree with fact that if the wing really offends someone or they hate driving with it, you can get rid of it. It will certainly cost several thousand, but its doable. You will make the car less stable at triple digit speeds or on the track, but it won't affect you with basic spirited driving.
I also agree you wont use the upper rev band in regular driving, but you can definitely use it on your weekend or later evening drives, and it is glorious.

I daily my GT3 half the week in SoCal with major traffic. It took a little getting used to with the wing and cops notice me more than a regular carrera, but you can still definitely daily a GT3 if you want. Some people may not be able to deal with the reduced rear visibility or that it's definitely louder inside the GT3 even at low RPM than a carrera. GT3 is plenty comfortable over bumps, but firmer than carrera.

Disagree on the damage to front. The front end is low but unless you live somewhere with just crazy roads, you won't damage your front end as long as you get a GT3 with front axle lift.

Tires are a non issue. If you don't track your car all the time, just put super sports on the GT3 instead of the PSC2s. Then you have great traction for rain, and even if tires are cold. You can even track the super sports if you want.
I daily my 991.1 GT3.

In SoCal.

Done it for over 20k miles.

Happily.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Remember the new GT3 is supposed to be much more compliant on public roads
Old 05-29-2017, 12:58 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

When the time comes I'll be selling my 991S for a .1 GT3, and deleting the rear wing. The perfect car. You don't have to special order a .2 GT3. All you have to do is unbolt the rear wing.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:49 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The wing doesn't really unbolt, it is a decklid assembly. An entirely new deck lid is required which includes the Carrera spoiler and that has different programming for extension based on model. Presumably one could fit the fixed duck tail in this position but there are various choices based on model as well. Certainly it can be done, but replacing the wing does require a bit of consideration. The R and the Touring pack if it becomes a reality provides a Porsche tested solution. The ,2 comes with the underside diffuser which the R used to compensate for the wing delete. I would think it prudent to add the diffuser to a .1 wing delete.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:57 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the Post.
Nice writeup.
I have no doubt that the 991.2 GT3 will be a fine machine!
For the Track.
After a year with a 991.2 C4S as a daily driver and Track, I can say that it's potential on road is simply way to fast to safely use any of it's potential with any traffic around.
With the LCA, ACC, Bose, PDK, PCM, it becomes a very nice Tollway/Expressway cruiser.
On Track it's very capable when I'm not scaring myself, it's too much car for me.
As to 'Going to Jail', I would like to avoid that and with current Law Enforcement, using the capabilities of these vehicles puts you at high risk.
Yesterday I took my 981 Mexico Blue Boxster to get an ice cream cone and after exiting a round about at a casual pace for me, State Patrol in the now ubiquitous Black unmarked Ford Explorer hit me with head on radar, I was casually doing 50 in a 55 mph zone because I have learned the hard way NOT to speed in the face of oncoming traffic.
I could easily have been 100 +mph.
And in Jail.
So a 991.2 GT3 sure gets the pulse and Gear Acquisition Juices flowing but unless you just want to look at it in your garage and fantasize, for me unless I Tracked it, it would be a book end.-Richard
Old 05-29-2017, 10:24 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Considered modifying your cab?

So many excellent options. For example try DSC + Techart springs for an inexpensive and comfy experience around town yet much more sporty & planted in sport+.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Considered modifying your cab?

So many excellent options. For example try DSC + Techart springs for an inexpensive and comfy experience around town yet much more sporty & planted in sport+.

I have considered DSC. Not sure about hardware. What's the preferred setup? Springs or sways? I tried both on my V70R and sways were the trick.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 AM
yer_man
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needsdecaf,
as a fellow Houstonian, I'm wondering where your "test road" is?

("It's the only decent road around and there are many car dealerships along the highway in the area. The GT3, as expected, is the most capable car I've driven on this road.")

As you well know, curvey roads are hard to find here -- unless you're content with 35 mph on Memorial Drive in the Villages -- so I'm interested in your "find" of a decent road in H-town.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:20 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the differences between PDK-S and PDK based on hardware, software or both?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Wait, those things in the back of my C2S are back seats?! I thought they were for holding very small bags of groceries.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
When the time comes I'll be selling my 991S for a .1 GT3, and deleting the rear wing. The perfect car. You don't have to special order a .2 GT3. All you have to do is unbolt the rear wing.

There's a lot more to it than just unbolting a wing. You have to replace the entire rear decklid and spoiler. Compare that picture above to a .1 GT3.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There's a lot more to it than just unbolting a wing. You have to replace the entire rear decklid and spoiler. Compare that picture above to a .1 GT3.
But, seems like one could just remove a GT3 deck lid/spoiler and replace with a 991.1 ducktail decklid and spoiler, with no programming, no moveable spoiler, etc. I've not verified that, but looking at photos of the two I don't see why a duck wouldn't replace a GT3 spoiler.

Suncoast has the duck for $2k. That would need to be painted. And if you have a sunroof on your GT3, it's possible it would need to be reprogrammed to work with the Ducktail vs. how it works with the GT3 tail. I say that because if you have a sunroof coupe with no tail and add a ducktail, you are supposed to get a "new sunroof control module, which must be dealer installed and activated" to adjust sunroof settings. I'm sure this has to do with aero considerations. Of course, if you went GT3 tail to no spoiler at all, you'd have the same sunroof consideration.

Or do GT3s even offer a SR option? I hope not, but they probably do nowadays.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 05-29-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
Are the differences between PDK-S and PDK based on hardware, software or both?
Thanks

Both. Completely different transmission.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:00 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I have considered DSC. Not sure about hardware. What's the preferred setup? Springs or sways? I tried both on my V70R and sways were the trick.
Donno. Starting w springs & DSC this week. Will let you know!

Did GT4 SSK & FF mount last week.

Crossing a few things off the personalize list....

Quick Reply: GT3 Test drive from the perspective of a Carrera S owner