Sponsored by:

Insurance company mileage tracker

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
It's State Farm in my case. I already have the Carrara classified as less than 7500 miles per year but there is no lower classification according to my agent.

Once i made the post I realized I could leave the phone home so no mileage is recorded so they must have a way to verify mileage through the state database. Very disingenuous offer from State Farm to track mileage but no mention to be of other stuff. Maybe when I'm too old to drive much I'll sign up. That is decades away!
I think it is more that this particular agent was disingenuous, not State Farm in general since that information I posted earlier came off their website about the app and the discount.

BTW, I know at times that there are good reasons to stick with your current company for combined discounts, good histories, and maybe they do have the best rates for you. But if you are interested in more than 5% off it likely pays to shop around. I switched to Geico about two years ago since their rates are nearly half that of State Farm for my cars and they aren't piddling around asking me to install an app for a 5% discount or claiming a discounting bundle with homeowners insurance. I'll stick with the roughly 50% discount with no app. The State Farm agent just contacted me about a month ago and I gave them a list of my current coverages to match their quote against. They admitted they couldn't even begin to compete even if they gave me the new-customer first-year rate. I doubt Geico's customer service is quite as good as State Farms, but there's a lot to be said for a 50% lower rate too. They did pay quickly for the broken windshield replacement I had a month or so ago, but I did have to pay the extra for the OEM glass as opposed to the aftermarket they offered.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:08 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I've always thought it would be funny to take one of those monitoring devices on a car for an HPDE - just to see the insurance agent's reaction to the data.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard a big factor is what time of day you drive, more so than acceleration, etc. Not sure if it's valid or not, but came from a friend who's managing partner with PE firm that owns an insurance company.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:50 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
If it is a spare car, get it listed as "pleasure use" with stated mileage of under 8,500 miles a year. I have used this in the past and I have never had them verify mileage.

My wife and I are both retired and have both cars listed as "pleasure use" with an 8,500 annual mileage. We far exceed that on one car and I hope to exceed it on the 911. Mileage has never been questioned.

I was surprised to find my 911 insurance as low as it is. It's a 2017, the insurance company used MSRP for value and my premium is $600/year with high limits to support personal liability policy.

I would never get an app or plug in device. Too many people are already in our personal lives.
I hope not, but if you do have a claim, the mileage might be questioned if its way over
Old 05-28-2017, 10:58 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
I hope not, but if you do have a claim, the mileage might be questioned if its way over
That's what I thought too, they would look at the mileage and deny coverage.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 PM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget this idea, I'd imagine the normal porsche driver has a better chance of experiencing a rate increase rather than being rewarded for meeting their unpublished safety formula parameters.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 215 Posts

My rates are good considering the value of the cars but there will be a noticable increase if I do nothing due to the increased accident rate in my area. Rather not spend more than necessary on this. Probably just adjust coverage or pay up and forget about it.

No go on the phone app monitoring. Who knows, Verizon is probably already compiling data on us.

Thanks for your info, comments and suggestions.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:01 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I've got a better idea. Call your agent and suggest that you're shopping rates because you feel you're paying too much.

Putting that digital nanny on is virtually guaranteed to backfire.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
By accepting this kind of thing, you are only accelerating our progress toward the day when it will become a requirement for the rest of us.

So, thanks for that.

+ 1

No thanks!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
By accepting this kind of thing, you are only accelerating our progress toward the day when it will become a requirement for the rest of us.

So, thanks for that.
Probably inevitable. They will claim that the majority of customers get a "discount" with a tracking device, some will lose their discount after driving in ways they define as high risk, and customers without a device will pay a premium.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 408 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Let me understand

You were considering voluntarily giving your insurance company YOUR DATA which can and will be used against you to deny claims and increase your premium potentially forever ???
Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Such devices should be resisted. Already driverless cars are coming, things dont look good for enthusiasts.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
I've always thought it would be funny to take one of those monitoring devices on a car for an HPDE - just to see the insurance agent's reaction to the data.
I always wanted to do this.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:04 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got just over 5,000 miles on my 07 Cayman S I've had since new at my vacation place and about 6,000 miles on my 14 C4S so I was thinking that one of those trackers would be good, but only if I have it on while I'm not driving it.

When I do drive the car I'd prefer not to have big brother watching me for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply: Insurance company mileage tracker