Sponsored by:

Insurance company mileage tracker

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:31 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Insurance company mileage tracker

my insurance agent suggested that a phone app can be installed so they can verify low mileage and offer me a lower rate on the Carrara. Sounds good but My state has yearly inspections where mileage is recorded and the database is probably available for a fee. So not sure if this app is as stated. It's not a stretch to calculate speeds. Will stay on the sidelines for now. Does anyone have experience with this type of monitoring?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:52 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

One insurance company courting my business offered reduced rates if you agreed to a monitoring device too, but it wasn't an app. I sincerely doubt the app your agent mentioned only records mileage.

In your case it would be useful to know which company your are referring to so we know what app is being talked about. If you are talking about the State Farm app, for example, here is the data it says it tracks:
  • Acceleration - The acceleration grade is measured by sharp increases in speed.
  • Braking - The braking grade is measured by the abruptness of hard braking occurrences.
    • Over the course of a year, a few hard braking instances during the entire time your vehicles is driven will not cause a drastic change in your grade. State Farm understands sometimes it is necessary for drivers to brake suddenly, swerve, or make sensitive maneuvers in order to avoid an accident or other road hazards.
  • Left/Right Turns - The turn grades are measured by the sharpness at which turns are taken.
  • Mileage - The number of miles that are expected to be driven over a full one year period. This is calculated based on the average miles driven each day when data was collected
  • Speed - The speed of the vehicle is captured; however, real time vehicle speeds are not stored or compared to posted speed limits for use in the calculation of the discount.
  • Time of Day - The time of day is measured by the amount of time spent driving during risky times of day, which may include rush hour traffic or late night driving.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

If you intend to drive like an old lady, I'd say go for it. If you want to drive it like it was built for, I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
....... the State Farm app.....tracks:
  • Acceleration - The acceleration grade is measured by sharp increases in speed.
  • Braking - The braking grade is measured by the abruptness of hard braking occurrences.
    • Over the course of a year, a few hard braking instances during the entire time your vehicles is driven will not cause a drastic change in your grade. State Farm understands sometimes it is necessary for drivers to brake suddenly, swerve, or make sensitive maneuvers in order to avoid an accident or other road hazards.
  • Left/Right Turns - The turn grades are measured by the sharpness at which turns are taken.
  • Mileage - The number of miles that are expected to be driven over a full one year period. This is calculated based on the average miles driven each day when data was collected
  • Speed - The speed of the vehicle is captured; however, real time vehicle speeds are not stored or compared to posted speed limits for use in the calculation of the discount.
  • Time of Day - The time of day is measured by the amount of time spent driving during risky times of day, which may include rush hour traffic or late night driving.
All kinds of stuff to help them deny your claim. Personally, I don't want an insurance company snooping around my car by putting a bug in it.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:03 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Different approach

If it is a spare car, get it listed as "pleasure use" with stated mileage of under 8,500 miles a year. I have used this in the past and I have never had them verify mileage.

My wife and I are both retired and have both cars listed as "pleasure use" with an 8,500 annual mileage. We far exceed that on one car and I hope to exceed it on the 911. Mileage has never been questioned.

I was surprised to find my 911 insurance as low as it is. It's a 2017, the insurance company used MSRP for value and my premium is $600/year with high limits to support personal liability policy.

I would never get an app or plug in device. Too many people are already in our personal lives.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Progressive has a similar app. Forget what it's called. But same principal. It's not only about how much you drive, or when you drive, but how hard you accelerate or brake. I'd only ever get that if I was desperate to save $$ and drove a Corolla.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:27 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

It's State Farm in my case. I already have the Carrara classified as less than 7500 miles per year but there is no lower classification according to my agent.

Once i made the post I realized I could leave the phone home so no mileage is recorded so they must have a way to verify mileage through the state database. Very disingenuous offer from State Farm to track mileage but no mention to be of other stuff. Maybe when I'm too old to drive much I'll sign up. That is decades away!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
It's State Farm in my case. I already have the Carrara classified as less than 7500 miles per year but there is no lower classification according to my agent.

Once i made the post I realized I could leave the phone home so no mileage is recorded so they must have a way to verify mileage through the state database. Very disingenuous offer from State Farm to track mileage but no mention to be of other stuff. Maybe when I'm too old to drive much I'll sign up. That is decades away!
I have SF and I have a 5000 mile per year.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What sort of a reduction in premium are we talking about here? I thought what I paid for my new GTS was pretty fair as the only stipulations were a) garage it overnight when home and b) don’t race it on the Nürburgring...
Old 05-28-2017, 07:05 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

There is an initial 5%, which is nothing but he indicated some customers rates were lowered by 1/2. I will request a lower mileage limit than 7500 without the smart phone app. If that doesn't work storing through the winter months and reducing coverage will do it . That's worked with other vehicles.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an initial 5%
Wow, that’s equivalent to a little over half a tank of petrol here in the UK!

Also, although I drive reasonably sedately most of the time I'm susceptible to the odd more energetic moment when conditions allow - I think I’d end up without a discount anyway...
Old 05-28-2017, 08:27 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

If I got one of those monitors, my insurance company would drop me. lol.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM
mjj
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The 7500 mile max does not track your driving habits. I have it on 2 vehicles currently.

They just send me a paper form and ask me to update the current mileage and attest to it in signature. They don't even ask for a picture of the odometer.

The black box tracking system is a whole different deal. Plus I store mine for 6 months a year and the premium goes down approx 80% during those months.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:02 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
my insurance agent suggested that a phone app can be installed so they can verify low mileage and offer me a lower rate on the Carrara. Sounds good but My state has yearly inspections where mileage is recorded and the database is probably available for a fee. So not sure if this app is as stated. It's not a stretch to calculate speeds. Will stay on the sidelines for now. Does anyone have experience with this type of monitoring?
Is your insurance really that much? I think my 991 is costing me something like $1100 a year; which I thought was not too bad.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

By accepting this kind of thing, you are only accelerating our progress toward the day when it will become a requirement for the rest of us.

So, thanks for that.

Quick Reply: Insurance company mileage tracker