Sponsored by:

GT4 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
I wonder if the 911 R or new GT3 shifter will fit and/or be better than the GT4 shifter.
But those are only 6 speed shifters. Will they work in a 7 speed car??
Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Not much of a deal when you can get it brand new for $222 plus shipping here:
http://www.porschesandiegoparts.com/...he/98142401020
no worries I was going off suncoast price of $299 + shipping. I'll do for $200 shipped to US.

Gt3/R shifter may or may not work. You have to remember the shift feel has much more to do w the gearbox and linkages than the shifter itself. This GT4 shifter substantially improves the stock offering but it does NOT feel the same as the GT4 or Spyder even though the shifter mechanism is identical. Regardless, it was one of the best upgrades to my 991 and for the price, a great bang for the buck
Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the install myself with a little help from YouTube. It's really just a bunch of tabs and connectors. The nice thing is that all connectors are different so you can't screw it up unless you forget one. Took me about an hour and a half going slowly. It was fun!

The mod is great too. Nice mechanical short throws. Nice improvement for sure.

Alec
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Even though it is "just" a shorter shaft, it made the 5-6-7 transitions much more notchy and firm for me whereas the stock is now pretty vague.
It's actually SLIGHTLY, but significantly different in one other aspect.

The stock shifter has no springs controlling the movement of the shift lever. The GT4 / R shifter has a spring that self-centers the side to side movement of the lever. Therefore it offers significant more resistance when shifting out of the neutral position and into a gate that's not above the neutral position.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9662...carrera-s.html

Originally Posted by hsmith
I wonder if the 911 R or new GT3 shifter will fit and/or be better than the GT4 shifter.
It's the same part number! See this thread from the wacko who's putting the R's manual in a 991.1 GT3RS. And by wacko, I mean complete baller genius! Awesome!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-i-did-19.html

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 05-25-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
But those are only 6 speed shifters. Will they work in a 7 speed car??
Yes, they do work perfectly. Remember that the shifter is only one component, the transmission is another. The shifter itself has no gates. It is just a mechanism for moving cables. Moving the shifter fore and aft moves pushes or pulls on a cable. Likewise moving the shifter side to side pushes and pulls on another cable. The shifter has a pivot that translates the side to side motion of the shift lever into fore / aft motion of the cable stay. It's neat.

When you take the shifter out of the car, you are free to move it however you want within the limits of it's movement. You can push it all the way forward and then move it left and right, or pull it back and move it left and right. It's like a joystick.

So the "gates" that you feel are a cause of the transmission itself, not the shifter. And insomuch that the two shifters are ALMOST identical, they can be swapped. Literally the only difference is the length of the shift lever (shaft above the pivot) and that small return spring.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
It's actually SLIGHTLY, but significantly different in one other aspect.

The stock shifter has no springs controlling the movement of the shift lever. The GT4 / R shifter has a spring that self-centers the side to side movement of the lever. Therefore it offers significant more resistance when shifting out of the neutral position and into a gate that's not above the neutral position.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9662...carrera-s.html

It's the same part number! See this thread from the wacko who's putting the R's manual in a 991.1 GT3RS. And by wacko, I mean complete baller genius! Awesome!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-i-did-19.html
Very cool. Thanks for pointing that out!

Quick Reply: GT4 shifter