Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL. I am on call this weekend so it will have to wait for a week.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
LOL. I am on call this weekend so it will have to wait for a week.
Go after work. I'm sure they'll make special arrangements for a RL VIP. What city are you in anyway?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 AM
STG
Race Director

I don't disagree but no McLaren would suit me as a DD. Doesn't a base Boxster look like a 911 TTS interior? Doesn't a C300 have a similar dash and switchgear as a C63 AMG? My wife drives a Q5 and I really love Audi interiors. All reviews agree that the star of the show is that NA V10. And when it comes to cars isn't the engine the main attraction? The new Audi virtual cockpit is awesome and very similar to the Huracan.
Some good points here. As far as dealer support and overall practicality for what it seems you're looking for the R8 looks like the choice.

Eat light the next two weeks
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Bacura, did you workout this morning?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't disagree but no McLaren would suit me as a DD. Doesn't a base Boxster look like a 911 TTS interior? Doesn't a C300 have a similar dash and switchgear as a C63 AMG? My wife drives a Q5 and I really love Audi interiors. All reviews agree that the star of the show is that NA V10. And when it comes to cars isn't the engine the main attraction? The new Audi virtual cockpit is awesome and very similar to the Huracan.
Personally, I also would be the 570S/GT group if I was looking to purchase in this price point.

The new R8 interior definitely feels up to date and I really didn't get the economy Audi feel from it. The older R8's (2009-2015) definitely felt like any other Audi interior (specifically A series Audi's from 2009-2012).

My biggest gripe with the new R8 is the exterior design. Audi has always had a shared design philosophy across its various models (specifically headlights, taillights and grill). However, for some reason this particular generation of Audi's just feels too similar to each other. The new R8 looks way too much like the new TT. The older R8 always shared some design characteristics with the TT but it never felt like a stretched out copy. I think the biggest flaw was Audi abandoning the very unique 1 piece side blades for the smaller 2 piece version that is now pretty easy to miss.

^ I really wish I could get the new R8 interior in the older exterior. That would be the perfect r8 in my book.

As far as cars sharing interior parts, I totally agree that all brands are guilty of this. The difference for me personally, is that Audi & Mercedes take parts from vehicles that MSRP at/or below ~35k.. So you get some really cheap feeling components carrying over to the higher models.

^ An extreme case of this was in my Nissan GTR. I literally had a turn stalk that was pulled right out of an Altima Granted you don't buy a GTR for its interior, but when you are spending 100k+ on any vehicle, you expect better.

Last edited by phow; 05-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:11 AM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo183.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  558.8 KBName:  photo856.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  373.6 KBName:  photo828.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  557.4 KB

I'd say pretty sharp. Even Porsche has gone to a more square/ceases look on all their .2 models over .1's.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by LexVan
Bacura, did you workout this morning?
I say go low carb the next 2 weeks.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Meh - these cars are all so good at this price point... Those of us that bought our 991's CPO could have gotten a used R8 but we didn't.

There is no "best". Pick your best and there is a handful of cars that perform better at the weakest point of yours... yet have other flaws.

At this level and price point of car, the only true discriminator is that you have to get the car that speaks to you. Graphs and data no longer matter. Either there is some unquantifiable emotional connection or there isn't. No forum replies will matter because nothing can convince you to have that connection.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Meh - these cars are all so good at this price point... Those of us that bought our 991's CPO could have gotten a used R8 but we didn't.

There is no "best". Pick your best and there is a handful of cars that perform better at the weakest point of yours... yet have other flaws.

At this level and price point of car, the only true discriminator is that you have to get the car that speaks to you. Graphs and data no longer matter. Either there is some unquantifiable emotional connection or there isn't. No forum replies will matter because nothing can convince you to have that connection.
EX: 0-60 in X.XX seconds... well that new dodge is pretty quick BUT has a sh!tty interior... the new lotus has an awesome interior (which I think you should take a look at!) but it's not as fast as a Corvette - interior - Mercedes - handling - ferrari - ride quality - bently - handling - etc.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:30 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated

Agreed! At this level it's all about specialness factor.

Only you can determine what make the car special for YOU.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lex. I didn't work out today but I did play hockey for 45 years. Trust me..... you would not want to play against me. STG , I live in Toronto.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:46 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Agreed! At this level it's all about specialness factor.

Only you can determine what make the car special for YOU.

Yes but no, a 911 50 IS special, the R8 less so...
Old 05-22-2017, 10:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Lex. I didn't work out today but I did play hockey for 45 years. Trust me..... you would not want to play against me.
I think you need a new watch, because even guys in the NHL don't play hockey for 45 minutes. Maybe you were figure skating like Brian Boitano??

Oh, and Toronto traffic SUCKS. Even a Pruis would feel exotic fast in Toronto traffic.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Yes but no, a 911 50 IS special, the R8 less so...
Haha.. Well, I tried

At the end of the day, I would much rather have a 911 (especially a 50th) over a R8 as well

BUT I have friends that buy cars that I don't quite understand but they do. Just had a buddy show up to my house this past weekend in his new NSX. He was in love with it and it checked all of HIS boxes. I personally didn't care for it. But I kept my mouth shut. Why? Because why try and ruin it for him? Instead I focused on the few things about it I liked and didn't see any point in making him second guess his decision. Now if he asked me my opinion, of course I would be honest

Cars (especially cars at this level) are a very personal decision. If you are not buying based on emotion but instead are focusing on track reviews and spec sheets, you will most likely end up disappointed in the end.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:05 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gen 1 R8 is not even a consideration. 2017 new or possibly order a 2018. It's very tough because the 50th is special(at least I think it is). BUT if the deal is good enough and the R8 is comfortable I may go for it. At 6'3" and 260 lbs. I may not even fit in it. I'm not sure if it is as roomy as the 991. The underlying theme here is a normally aspirated engine. I don't want Italian so GT3/R8 are my only 2 considerations. Dealer asked about new GTS but I said no faster than it takes to spool up those twin turbos. So we will see how much they sharpen their pencils. As a straight trade it would be hard to say no.
I test drove an R8 V10 and it didn't have near the leg room as the 911 did for me. I am 6 foot and a bit longer in the legs than upper body. I weigh 225 and could lose 25 lbs. It was a hair tight for me.

The thing I noticed was the suspension on the 8 felt like it had so much hop to it. Maybe to track orientated possibly. It was not like the 911s more everyday, all around good feel. Seems like it has more blind spots.

You will see when you take it for a spin. It may or may not be for you. They do get a lot of attention.

Quick Reply: R8?