Sponsored by:

R8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Grass is always greener...
I made the jump about two years ago (and replied in detail to a similar thread around that time), and I can tell you today I saw an immaculate 991 in the same color/spec as the one I traded and thought it looked at least as good as my R8!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did pretty much the opposite.

Traded a 2010 R8 for a 2015 991 S 7MT then traded that for a 991 GTS PDK.

The better driving car in my opinion is the Porsche PDK against the R-Tronic transmission, although I assume the newer S-Tronic transmission would be closer to the PDK.

I traded out because the CPO car warranty was about to expire, I drive it for about 3 years for about $23K, great deal in my opinion. Great Value and Great Car. Reliable. No Problems. All 4 year maintenance was prepaid in my case.

R8 attracts lots of attention ALL the time, EVERY WHERE you go. Always good in my experience. Just got to be too much sometimes. The 911 flies under the radar.

Drive: The R8 felt very stable and planted to the ground at all times but there was less feedback in comparison to the 911 RWD, which is a lot more engaging and pleasurable to drive.

Looks: R8 looks fantastic.

Cabin Space: R8 has no back seat. Feels claustrophobic. Only a small shelf behind the seats. Very old Nav/Media system, at least on the older car, the new one seems much improved.

In My Opinion the R8 wins on looks.
The 911 wins on Driving Pleasure.

I would consider an R8 again but it would have to be a S-Tronic. I echo the sentiment that R-Tronic is very jerky.

Sometimes you just have to scratch the itch and try something different!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Went from a R8 V10 to a 991.2 4S. The R8 is a fantastic car-nothing quite like that beautiful n/a V10! but the 991.2 is just a little better in more areas. The only and biggest gripe I had with the R8 was the attention it constantly received here in Northern New England. Video'd on the highway, people following me home to find out more about the car. You couldn't just take it to Home Depot on errands as it always seem to turn into a parade.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice. You too Lex! I know all the faults of the gen 2 especially the transmission. That's why I never bothered. Articles on the New R8 are glowing. The tranny is supposed to be very close to PDK.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

It's a great car, slightly different focus but much less of a compromise than a lot of the mid engines. I've been considering one lately as well, against the 570S.

Well I spent the morning on the track in the MAC and between the lax gear spacing and ridiculous turbo lag, that is out. Everything else about it was stellar though. That car with Audi V10 may be the perfect vehicle. Think it may be down to the R8 or the Huracan.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
...You will be a target for everyone taking pictures, staring at you, thumbs up, women will throw their undergarments in your general direction and little boys will want to grow up to be just like you, but better looking.
It's not too many posts that truly make me laugh out loud. Very nicely said!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Practicality is of no concern.

Good...because I did not find my 2011
Audi R8 Spyder very practical. And neither
will you. It was great to drive & certainly
sure-footed. In my case, it had the last of
the manual transmissions, with a Ferrari-
like gate shifter made of billet aluminum:

No panties were ever thrown my way,
but I lived at the time in Carmel (CA)
where the median age for women is
75 years old. They may have wanted
to...but it was too much effort.

The biggest problem I found with
the R8 was space for luggage &
coats on even the most abbreviated
travel. The trunk in the front has
considerably less room than the
one found on a 991 or 718. And
the Spyder didn't even had the
area behind the seats found in
the coupe. To make it somewhat
tolerable, I invested in a set of
custom leather luggage made in
England for the R8 by a company
named 'Bespoke'. It is lovely...but
expensive.

And it's still not enough for travel
in an R8 for anything more extensive
than a weekend...unless your wife
or significant other is a fashionista.
And if that is the case, only God, or
UPS/Federal Express, will be able to
help you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

PS I still have the luggage...but I
sold the car to a fellow Rennlister.
And they are very happy with it.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,520 Likes on 5,051 Posts

For the same money as an R8 V10+, you could get a 991 TTS, which is both a better driver's car as well as a more practical one.

The one department where the TTS loses out on the R8 is curb appeal. So, if that's important to you ...
Old 05-20-2017, 12:16 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

IMHO there is no comparison esthetically. I specifically went to the Audi store here in Atlanta to see the R8 today. I hated it. It did nothing for me. I walked out and looked at my 911 and thought there is no substitute!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Why don't you tell us more about your intended use for the next car and people can give you better feedback.

Is it just for weekend fun? Do you ever plan to commute in it? Do you plan to take overnight weekend trips in it? Do you want to track it? Do you plan to drive it during the long Canadian winter? Do you want something that has a more aggressive presence?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:35 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

No winter driving.No track use.My kids are adults so no need for trunk space---I have 2 SUV's for that. Just fun driving to work(20 minute drive).A fun DD when the weather is good. Very secure parking at the hospital.I have had 4 911's and love them. Just thinking about a change and I have no interest in any turbocharged car. I turned down a TTS for my 911/50 3.5 years ago and my thoughts haven't changed about turbo's. The dealer had a brand new 997 TTS for 5 thousand less than my 911/50---no interest.Interestingly,both of my SUV's are turbos---a good truck engine.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Ok.

I say go for it. You'll love the engine note and the increased torque compared to your 991.1. It will be a fun change from all the 911s you've had, sounds like it's safe parking at work, and with the R8 being AWD you may drive it more than you expect in your climate.

(Besides, Porsche needs to lose more customers for regular 911 Carreras due to forcing turbochargers on them)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
The gen 1 R8 is not even a consideration. 2017 new or possibly order a 2018. It's very tough because the 50th is special(at least I think it is). BUT if the deal is good enough and the R8 is comfortable I may go for it. At 6'3" and 260 lbs. I may not even fit in it. I'm not sure if it is as roomy as the 991. The underlying theme here is a normally aspirated engine. I don't want Italian so GT3/R8 are my only 2 considerations. Dealer asked about new GTS but I said no faster than it takes to spool up those twin turbos. So we will see how much they sharpen their pencils. As a straight trade it would be hard to say no.
I sat in a new R8 at my local Audi dealer recently. It was the convertible, but I barely had enough leg room, and I am only 6'1". It reminded me of how I felt in the first generation Boxster/Cayman. My knees were in the steering wheel. Salesman claimed the coupe has more room inside because having space for the convertible top to fold down behind the seats takes us some interior room. Not sure if I believe him, or if it was just sales talk form him. But, it definitely has less room than the 991.

Also, on the V10 Plus version, it appears to me that the only seats you can get are the sport buckets. I have not sat in them, but if they are anything like the ones in the GT3, they are not comfortable to me, and very difficult to get into and out of. Great for the track I guess, but not so great for daily use.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

That is excellent information. I would only get a coupe but if leg room is poor then no deal. As far as the seats go the sport seats might be too tight and not suited for non track use. The regular R8 (ie not the plus) might have much more comfortable seats. 540 hp is still quite adequate. As a straight trade my 911/50 for a base R8 at zero cost is an interesting proposition to say the least.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

How are you going to trade your used 911 50th for a new R8 straight up? I don't see the math working out that way.

Quick Reply: R8?