Sponsored by:

Saw my first 991.2 C2 with turbo badging

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I find that humorous considering M cars are gussied up version of cars that are nearly as common as Camry’s (and to 99.99% of the population, look identical to the base 4 cylinder versions of their basis cars), rendering the most base 2 door Porsche akin to a bespoke exotic in comparison. Just funny when owners of cars try to use pretension as overcompensation.
Depends on where you are. In my home area the 911 is not special but I've had people stop and take pictures of my 5 series(has every M option you can get on a non M) in rural Ohio where my inlaws live.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Wow, 5 pages on this, lol. In the end does it really matter what anybody does with the badging on their car? I can tell the difference as most likely 100% of the members here can. I could car less what anybody else thinks my car is, I got the 911 because I have loved these cars since I was an 8 year old kid.

I only have “porsche” on the rear of my “poor-man’s” base 911, you know the one that sucks, LOL ; )

Dealer ordered the car that way so I did not have a choice, but I like that it’s a lot less cluttered. I mean even if I purchased an “S” I would still prefer just porsche on the rear. If somebody asked what model it was I would tell them it’s a 911.

Bottom line is if somebody is asking you what model you have you surely are not impressing them with the fact it’s a C2, S, C4s, GTS, GT3, or Turbo because that will have no meaning to a non-Porsche person.

Back in the M3 I had many people say oh nice BMW, I have a 328 too, I laugh and say yeah they are great cars aren’t they. If I have to explain it, then they really don’t need to know and it’s just not worth my effort..
Good post. Ive always de-badged my cars. Debadged S4 etc etc.Would rather be humble but I think, in reality nobody other than real car guys know what any car really is. Not a fan of all that crap on the rear decklid. have a look at a MercededesbenzAMG4Matic.............Took Paragraph off my rear. Porsche 911 now.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
I find that humorous considering M cars are gussied up version of cars that are nearly as common as Camry’s (and to 99.99% of the population, look identical to the base 4 cylinder versions of their basis cars), rendering the most base 2 door Porsche akin to a bespoke exotic in comparison. Just funny that owners of those cars would try to use pretension as overcompensation.
Goes both ways. I debadged my 528 so people wouldn't know it was the 4 cylinder

( kidding ) but I did rebadge it.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Loft23
It's called insecurity and ignorance. I remember posting a goodbye post in one of the BMW forums when I sold my fully loaded 2014 F10 M5 competition pack and bought my 18 991.2 C2S, where a member replied saying that they wouldn't buy a Porsche unless it's a Turbo or Turbo S. While waiting for the delivery of my C2S, I was talking to an M3 owner who said he would like to own a Porsche, but would not go with a base poseur model. I asked what he meant by that, a Cayman / Boxter? Yes, those he said, but also the base 911 stripped model. I told him that a well-optioned cayman/boxter can cost more than his M3 and that a base 911 with no options is more than his M3 and performs better. "I know, but those are for people who can't afford a 'real' Porsche," he said. I was floored and walked away. It wasn't some young immature kid, he was in his mid 30's. These are the type of insecure people who probably force themselves to spend more than they are comfortable with on his M3 because a regular 3 series is for people who can't afford a real BMW.
When I park my NARP next to my NARF I'm like just think for a couple hundred k more, I could have had a real kid that poops everywhere.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
When I park my NARP next to my NARF I'm like just think for a couple hundred k more, I could have had a real kid that poops everywhere.
It's all relative. When I was a a senior in High School I wrote a paper about my goals and dream car. I wanted either a 2 year old Accord or a 2 year old Mustang if I became successful depending on if I had a family or not. I was that specific and knew that only very rich people ever bought new cars. Either of those cars seemed unattainable for my family and I thought it would take me to my late 40's to be able to have something so nice.

There's always the Jones's one financial tier up unless you're Oprah or a Saudi prince.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It's all relative. When I was a a senior in High School I wrote a paper about my goals and dream car. I wanted either a 2 year old Accord or a 2 year old Mustang if I became successful depending on if I had a family or not. I was that specific and knew that only very rich people ever bought new cars. Either of those cars seemed unattainable for my family and I thought it would take me to my late 40's to be able to have something so nice.

There's always the Jones's one financial tier up unless you're Oprah or a Saudi prince.
Yeah my parents were super poor, but I'll never be rich it's just not something that I aspire to. My goal is just to save enough to retire by 45.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:09 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Loft23
It's called insecurity and ignorance. ...These are the type of insecure people who probably force themselves to spend more than they are comfortable with on his M3 because a regular 3 series is for people who can't afford a real BMW. To a non-enthusiast, people can't differentiate between the 911 range and will simply say it's a nice car. So I don't understand the logic behind fake badging because they are trying to impress or pose for those not in the know, but at the same time, they know enthusiast will call them out.
LOL, that reminds of a time, years ago, that I was driving on the interstate in our E36 M3. I had a car up along-side of me with M badging all over it. It wasn't an M3 & neither the driver or passenger would make eye contact with me or look over at my car the whole time we drove next to each other. It's still funny to me, almost 20 years later.

Quick Reply: Saw my first 991.2 C2 with turbo badging