Sponsored by:

991.2 Base Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
After driving some more, I really love the car. The steel (or aluminum?) sunroof, manual transmission and the wheels are what I love. This car is quicker than my 2013 manual transmission S was and I don't miss the sport exhaust, sport chrono or SPASM. The car is bad-***! I just got lucky, it was there and they wanted to sell, it was a Monday and everything worked out. The new 3.0 engines are an improvement but you do lose that "fun zone," as I heard Jay Leno put it of the 3,500 and 4,000 rpm's when the power kicks in on the non-turbos, but these engines make the car even quicker. I got to wonder why the S model is $14k more.
It doesn't make any sense with the 991.2s. It did with the 991.1s because it was a different engine with more R&D costs required etc.

The S does add PTV, larger front discs/calipers, more boost and slightly larger Turbos. Not worth it. The base has plenty of power for the street.

Porsche is making a killing on the S cars.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
It doesn't make any sense with the 991.2s. It did with the 991.1s because it was a different engine with more R&D costs required etc.

The S does add PTV, larger front discs/calipers, more boost and slightly larger Turbos. Not worth it. The base has plenty of power for the street.

Porsche is making a killing on the S cars.
Actually, I like to think that people who buy a base model get a bargain.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:47 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

C2...not Base....
Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

OK
Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of all the overpriced options, $540 for seat belt straps that are not black. One time I was getting tires at the dealer and they gave me a new "black version" to drive. One of the options was $160 to paint the aluminum that surrounds the manual shifter. Still like the car and I believe the turbo engines are a winner (not really a choice). I'm still in the break-in period so I cannot red-line it and cannot really compare it to the 3.8 engine but at lower rpm's it is definitely faster. The steering plus is a nice little option and I like the way the leather feels on the new steering wheels.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

of all the overpriced options, $540 for seat belt straps that are not black. One time I was getting tires at the dealer and they gave me a new "black version" to drive. One of the options was $160 to paint the aluminum that surrounds the manual shifter. Still like the car and I believe the turbo engines are a winner (not really a choice). I'm still in the break-in period so I cannot red-line it and cannot really compare it to the 3.8 engine but at lower rpm's it is definitely faster. The steering plus is a nice little option and I like the way the leather feels on the new steering wheels.
I figured out 4 years ago when I purchased the Cayenne that you have to throw practicality out of the window when you buy a Porsche. Something you get used to, and you just decide how crazy you want to go.
Agree about the new 3.0. I'm only at 500 miles after 2 months (shame on me). I swear I'm gonna burn some fuel this weekend to get closer to break-in.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

it IS incredible what they consider options and their costs. Don't get belts done now....dealer quoted me $2000.
Amazing cars though. This is my first and it doesnt have many options but to me, its perfect.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't regret the matching belts even a little bit. Eye catcher in the Cab.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:26 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Agreed. I'd order them for sure! My car was on the lot.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Jim1911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need opinions. I am a first time 911 buyer. I have posted before about getting a Targa 4 with black roof and Carrerra sport wheels. I really like the espresso cognac two tone natural leather but I am concerned that getting jet black or midnight blue exterior would introduce just too many colors (tan seats, brown dash, black roof. Does that match or should I be safe and stick with Luxor Beige and black dash. Thanks in advance. It's good to know others get the guilts with these purchases but wifee gave me to go ahead so that is all that matters.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^there is a book produced by Porsche called "The New 911 Ever ahead" towards the rear there is a table that lists all exterior colours, interior packages and the four interiors (standard/leather, two tone, natural and natural two tone).

The following are the "especially" recommended from Porsche wrt espresso - cognac: white, black, GT silver, jet black metallic and mahogany metallic "especially" recommended interior packages are carbon and leather)

The "recommended" combinations are Carrera white metallic and night blue metallic.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 PM
famous shoes
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a jet black metallic C2S with espresso/cognac interior and think the combination looks great. The natural leather is a significant upgrade over P's standard full leather, in my opinion. The thread below shows some pictures of my car

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9605...ting-room.html
Old 05-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Jim1911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks famous shoes and randr that Jet black looks awesome. I'll keep digging but I think I will end up with the black.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a Targa 4 being built in June for July delivery. It was suppose to be a '17 but will now come as an '18. Radio/PCM upgrade and slightly higher price.

Daily driver... sports exhaust, torque vectoring and sport chrono. My wife insisted on the manual (yea!) and black leather with acid green deviating stitching. It will be a fun street car; not a track rat. I drove the base back to back against an "S" on a track. The back straight was the only place I noticed a difference. Unfortunately, they were both automatics.

I keep second-guessing myself whether I should have ordered the "S" or GTS... without sports exhaust and sports chrono... and always come back to livability on the street. In reality, there will always be a faster Porsche; but that was never my dream. Two months until my dream comes true!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:37 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
I have a Targa 4 being built in June for July delivery. It was suppose to be a '17 but will now come as an '18. Radio/PCM upgrade and slightly higher price.

Daily driver... sports exhaust, torque vectoring and sport chrono. My wife insisted on the manual (yea!) and black leather with acid green deviating stitching. It will be a fun street car; not a track rat. I drove the base back to back against an "S" on a track. The back straight was the only place I noticed a difference. Unfortunately, they were both automatics.

I keep second-guessing myself whether I should have ordered the "S" or GTS... without sports exhaust and sports chrono... and always come back to livability on the street. In reality, there will always be a faster Porsche; but that was never my dream. Two months until my dream comes true!
Good attitude, Icebreaker. And I agree that on public roads faster models will seldom if ever get to go that much faster. As for various bling, the value is in the eye (and wallet) of the beholder.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base Manual