Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)

Old 07-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

With all due respect, you are over-thinking this issue. For those of us that change oil more frequently, there is NO reason to reset the service indicator. Simply leave it as is and take the car to the dealer when the car's computer says service is due. Remember, the dealer checks many other things (wiper blades, brake pads, other filters, etc., etc..). There will be no need to engage Porsche corporate as from their point of view, the car will be maintained per their recommended schedule if you follow the car's computer and have the car at the dealer as/when the car wants to be there. Re oil: stick with Porsche's recommended Mobil 1 0-40. Why not, for Heaven's sake? Simple screw driver works perfectly for removing the oil sump drain plug...turned sideways to fit all the way into the already-there slot. Geeezzzz. Don't forget to collect a sample and send it off to get your oil analyzed. We use Blackstone Labs.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:54 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
With all due respect, you are over-thinking this issue. For those of us that change oil more frequently, there is NO reason to reset the service indicator. Simply leave it as is and take the car to the dealer when the car's computer says service is due. Remember, the dealer checks many other things (wiper blades, brake pads, other filters, etc., etc..). There will be no need to engage Porsche corporate as from their point of view, the car will be maintained per their recommended schedule if you follow the car's computer and have the car at the dealer as/when the car wants to be there. Re oil: stick with Porsche's recommended Mobil 1 0-40. Why not, for Heaven's sake? Simple screw driver works perfectly for removing the oil sump drain plug...turned sideways to fit all the way into the already-there slot. Geeezzzz. Don't forget to collect a sample and send it off to get your oil analyzed. We use Blackstone Labs.
Actually, a number of fairly cheap devices have now been proven easy and effective in resetting the service reminders. I used a iCarsoft POR-II that plugs into the OBD port.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:09 AM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Actually, a number of fairly cheap devices have now been proven easy and effective in resetting the service reminders. I used a iCarsoft POR-II that plugs into the OBD port.
First off, thanks for posting your outstanding information and pics bkrantz. Excellent job.

Since the "interim service" notice pops up for only a second, it doesn't really faze me that much. But I do want to pick up a decent OBD scanner.

The iCarsoft POR II, Foxwell and Launch Creader get good reviews on Amazon and are reasonably priced. iCarScan gets poor reviews, and seems more expensive. Durametric and PIWIS seem a bit too expensive for what I need. (I think I might be the only guy here who changes his own oil because the dealer is outrageously expensive for a simple task....ok, that and I genuinely like doing it) Then there are a slug of cheaper models, but I am unclear if any reset the interim service message.

Does your iCarsoft show overrevs? Do you have information or an opinion on any of these others??
Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Service interval says change oil every year or 10k miles. I think Indy shops say ever 5k is recommended.

Do you really need to change it ever 5k? I drive almost 20k mostly highway per year and it seems excessive to change it 4 times per year...

I read some have changed the oil only ever 5k (leave filter)?
Old 07-28-2018, 04:28 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

If you are not tracking the car, once every 10000 miles is fine.
If you did Blackstone oil analysis, you would find little degradation over that time.

For highway miles, 20000 is probably fine too, if once a year.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:47 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Madisongy
First off, thanks for posting your outstanding information and pics bkrantz. Excellent job.

Since the "interim service" notice pops up for only a second, it doesn't really faze me that much. But I do want to pick up a decent OBD scanner.

The iCarsoft POR II, Foxwell and Launch Creader get good reviews on Amazon and are reasonably priced. iCarScan gets poor reviews, and seems more expensive. Durametric and PIWIS seem a bit too expensive for what I need. (I think I might be the only guy here who changes his own oil because the dealer is outrageously expensive for a simple task....ok, that and I genuinely like doing it) Then there are a slug of cheaper models, but I am unclear if any reset the interim service message.

Does your iCarsoft show overrevs? Do you have information or an opinion on any of these others??
Hey, thanks for your kind words. I do not think the iCarsoft can read over-revs.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:53 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Madisongy

You need either a Durametric unit or the PWIWS ( or whatever) to read overrevs.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this. Changed the oil for the first time this weekend at 5000 kms on my 2018 991.2. The dealer had changed it at 1800 kms before it was delivered to me as a CPO. This write up was handy as it allowed me to follow the directions to find out there really is an engine in these things! I’m a bit crazy as far as multiple oil changes on new engines - who knows if it will pay off.
One thing I found out is that these cars are magnets for the little rock’s they use around here as traction in the winter. They seem to collect in large numbers in the undertray panels.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Okay I now have just about everything I need to do this, but I noticed my torque wrench will not do 25nm, it will either be a little lower or higher based on the scale. So will pick up a new NM torque wrench that is nm only, oh well, I like new tools, lol. Suggestions on low profile oil drain pans? There are some of these new drain pans that double as a transport container too.

oh on torque wrenches again, 2 options:
1. 10-60nM
2. 20-100nM
is the lower end more useful than the upper range for 911s?

thx
Old 09-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I had my 2015 C2S in the dealer (Napleton, Rockford IL) today for the PADM warning (bad drivetrain mounts). Asked them to reset the maint interval message since I'd purchased the oil filter from them, and completed the oil change.

"Porsche will not allow us to reset that unless we do the oil change."
Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I completed my first 991.2 oil change on my GTS today, (8000 miles, 1 year) thanks to this post. Only thing I'd add to clarify the original post is that when it refers to the rear of the fan it mean rear of car, not the one farthest from you when you are standing over it. Obvious to me now, but at the time... Also, you can just move the fans to the side without separating the cable, and as already pointed out, the rectangular retainer mentioned in the first step doesn't have to be completely removed either, the fastener point can be left in place. I jacked up left rear of car to access the drain plug, and lowered it after initial draining, delivered a decent amount more.

For those of you that want to order the filter via amazon, this one is correct, even though amazon says it "won't fit your Porsche".:
MAHLE Original OX254D4ECO Oil Filter ($18)
Instead it recommended for my car:
Bosch 72265WS / F00E369886 Workshop Engine Oil Filter ($25)
I got nervous after ordering the first one (amazon gives different dimensions), so ordered them both, they are identical in size and construction to each other and to the one that came out of the car (MAHLE OX254).
Everything else mentioned in the original post is also available on amazon:
CTA Tools 1037 VW/Audi Oil Drain Plug Tool
Motivx Tools 36mm Low Profile Oil Filter Socket
Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit, Set of 5 Pcs
Of course you could get the filter from Suncoast, but I didn't want to pay them $15 for shipping a small lightweight item. My nearest dealer is a good 3 hours drive each way, assuming no snow while crossing the Green and White Mountains in winter, so that's not a good option for me. Had my Cayman GTS 3 years and did my own oil changes @ 5K (pre 3 track days), 11K and 20K, documented with pictures and receipts, and had no issues on trade in, the car was CPO'ed no problem .

Thanks again to OP

Pic of filters and tools mentioned above:

The following 2 users liked this post by BlueNorther:
chowdah (10-27-2019), Joe911991 (06-12-2021)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Okay I now have just about everything I need to do this, but I noticed my torque wrench will not do 25nm, it will either be a little lower or higher based on the scale. So will pick up a new NM torque wrench that is nm only, oh well, I like new tools, lol. Suggestions on low profile oil drain pans? There are some of these new drain pans that double as a transport container too.

oh on torque wrenches again, 2 options:
1. 10-60nM
2. 20-100nM
is the lower end more useful than the upper range for 911s?

thx

25 nm if 18.44 ft lb. most 3/8 torque wrenches will cover this.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

OMG, this is JUST an oil change- look what you have to do!
I think the last oil change I did myself was 35 years ago, and my cars were "sports cars" in the day. The procedure took 15 minutes and cost about $30. The "procedure" consisted of removing the drain plug, draining the oil, removing & replacing the filter, and refilling the oil.
I knew the end was coming when I first attempted to CHECK the oil in my then new 2007 M6 and found out (after feverishly searching the owner's manual) that there was no dipstick. The procedure to CHECK the oil was to start the car, warm it to a certain temperature, then check the bar graph gauge inside the car to see the level. I had BMW do the first oil change in that car. After spending a fortune (in 2007 dollars,) BMW overfilled it because the oil change "technicians" had no idea how to do it. The car had to be flat-bedded from my house, oil drained and returned. It's definitely a new world - $500 oil changes! What's next? Oh yea, BTW, I just purchased a Targa GTS and can't even SEE, let alone work on the engine. YIKES!!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:17 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrera4esq
OMG, this is JUST an oil change- look what you have to do!
I think the last oil change I did myself was 35 years ago, and my cars were "sports cars" in the day. The procedure took 15 minutes and cost about $30. The "procedure" consisted of removing the drain plug, draining the oil, removing & replacing the filter, and refilling the oil.
I knew the end was coming when I first attempted to CHECK the oil in my then new 2007 M6 and found out (after feverishly searching the owner's manual) that there was no dipstick. The procedure to CHECK the oil was to start the car, warm it to a certain temperature, then check the bar graph gauge inside the car to see the level. I had BMW do the first oil change in that car. After spending a fortune (in 2007 dollars,) BMW overfilled it because the oil change "technicians" had no idea how to do it. The car had to be flat-bedded from my house, oil drained and returned. It's definitely a new world - $500 oil changes! What's next? Oh yea, BTW, I just purchased a Targa GTS and can't even SEE, let alone work on the engine. YIKES!!
Many Porsches over the years have made for interesting oil changes over the years. When I removed the filter in my 944, the oil would run out onto the front of the engine and anything nearby. I made a channel to catch most of the mess and send it towards the drain pan. In my 964 (like many 911 models) the oil filter mounted sideways inside the engine compartment. Even with clever methods to reduce the oil in the filter before removal, it always made some mess. The 991 does require more fuss to get to the filter, but the mess is minimal.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 382 Likes on 163 Posts

Thanks OP!

Just did the first oil change after break in on my Carrera T. Super easy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)