Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 01:54 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by joelc73
Do they still make the 4” race ramps? I couldn’t find it on their website. Also, are there other ramps people recommend? I need to do a little change on a 991. Two. Thanks!
In a pinch or permanently you could cut a few 2x12” down to size and a nice angle on the ends. Would be heavier but cheaper.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:06 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by joelc73
Do they still make the 4” race ramps? I couldn’t find it on their website. Also, are there other ramps people recommend? I need to do a little change on a 991. Two. Thanks!
I recommend getting a set of QuickJacks. Best thing I bought for the garage in a long time.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 AM
joelc73
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoney901
I recommend getting a set of QuickJacks. Best thing I bought for the garage in a long time.
Those look amazing. At some point, I’ll pick those up.

I ended up getting the 3” RR trax jax. I was going to get the Megan’s but with shipping they were within $50 of the RR.

Hopefully they give me enough clearance.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:35 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After much "yes/no" thinking, I bought a set of QuickJacks. Pros: not terribly expensive; lifts the entire car; can drive our lowered 911 over the parked mechanisms. Negatives: heavy; hooking up all of the hoses = real work; lifts car just fine, but for extended work we have to set axle stands - between the QuickJacks and the axle stands, it's hard to do anything under the car; the hoses are heavy and take up space. So: oil change and tire installation/rotation...OK. But don't plan on pulling your transmission or any other such job. That said, once the car is up, up...one can remove the QuickJacks, thereby gaining room to work under the car. But one still has to deal with the heavy left/right platforms and deal with the really heavy and not very flexible hoses.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:41 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
After much "yes/no" thinking, I bought a set of QuickJacks. Pros: not terribly expensive; lifts the entire car; can drive our lowered 911 over the parked mechanisms. Negatives: heavy; hooking up all of the hoses = real work; lifts car just fine, but for extended work we have to set axle stands - between the QuickJacks and the axle stands, it's hard to do anything under the car; the hoses are heavy and take up space. So: oil change and tire installation/rotation...OK. But don't plan on pulling your transmission or any other such job. That said, once the car is up, up...one can remove the QuickJacks, thereby gaining room to work under the car. But one still has to deal with the heavy left/right platforms and deal with the really heavy and not very flexible hoses.
For what the QJ do, many don’t think they are heavy or have heavy hoses or have difficulty connecting the hoses.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:16 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Which model and length did you get?
Old 10-01-2022, 03:33 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Invoice dated 7 July 2021, I purchased a BL-5000SLX. It is not the extended length. I have a weeping joint that I will have to take apart and fix. QuickJack support is telling me I should be able to undo/fix the leaking joint without having to re-bleed that part of the system. Rather than leave the units where I can drive a car over them, I've moved them off to the side of the garage. I have not tried undoing the no-leak fittings because - my opinion - I'd just have to find a place for them in the garage. I have the motor/pump unit settled on top of a small wood bench. Very convenient.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:55 AM
joelc73
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did my oil this weekend. For anyone who hasn’t done it yet, it’s actually way easier than it seems.

There are a lot of posts about connectors, etc. i literally just removed the right side fan and that let me shift everything just enough to the left to get the oil filter out/in.

hope that helps. 991.2.
The following users liked this post:
box (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:12 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Excellent DIY and documentation. I did my 991.2 oil at about 1500 miles and reused the drain plug, having bought just the filter from the Porsche dealer. Can you think of any reason not to do that?
Murphy will let you get away with it at least once.

Porsche engineering spec'd a new plug each change for a reason and it was not to make money. O-rings are fussy and do not like to be inserted and removed. Also, the plastic plug makes a 'snap' as it is inserted and that is a wear point. Why take a chance on one of the fastest ways to burn up a very expensive engine?

That all said, the engineers knew you were out there, so they made that plug reusable at least once, possibly twice 😉.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)