Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

Excellent writeup and the photos are very helpful. I almost feel I can tackle this myself.
Per the usual whine about these things, don't know why the dealer charges 400 bucks to do this? With the right tools and a lift, it should be a 30 minute job for those guys.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Britdave
Thanks guys for all the info on 991/ gen 2 oil changes, I'll be doing the next one myself, after I figure out the best way to get under my 911 ? Jacks, Rhino ramps, or perhaps these cheaper ones ? >>> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...roducts&gclid=
I like 3 or 4 inch high ramps, with one under each wheel (keeps the car level). 4 inches provides just enough clearance to get to the drain plug, makes the incline easier, and if you miss the ramp (or don't stop in time) the drop is essentially harmless.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:04 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Just a follow-up note. I did my second oil change today (at 12 months, but only 7000 miles). From start to finish, it took 51 minutes, including putting car on ramps, changing clothes, oil drain, filter change, and refill, pouring old oil into jugs, clothing change, and driving car off ramps.

(Full disclosure, I spent another 5 minutes reseting the oil service reminder with my iCarsoft POR II (after farting around with updating the software).
Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Anyone has the PN for the oil drain plug alone?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a very helpful thread. Many thanks to "bkrantz" for starting it. I have another track day coming up, and plan to DIY change the oil/filter thereafter. I won't worry about the service reset because when it is again ready, I'll let the dealer do it. Our car is close to 15,000 miles; dealer service was done at just under 13,000 miles (this past January). I've starting sending my M3's oil to Blackstone for analysis; planning to do the same with our 911's oil. Are others using Blackstone or some other lab to analyze your used oil?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:01 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE][Are others using Blackstone or some other lab to analyze your used oil? /QUOTE]

Blackstone is the only one I'm familiar with and have been happy with.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
Anyone has the PN for the oil drain plug alone?
www.paragon-products.com/Oil-Drain-Plug-p/958.103.801.00.htm

or buy a change kit from suncoast, filter, o ring , and plug $32
Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Nin Din Din:
J Irwan (09-17-2019), Yzfrr11 (12-31-2022)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:53 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Wow, didnt think about it, but changing on a Targa is a pain in the butt due to the glass.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Wow, didnt think about it, but changing on a Targa is a pain in the butt due to the glass.
Yikes!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:42 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, I am getting braver after reviewing this. May have to DYI it. I am not cheap, I am just paranoid the dealer is not going to be as OCD about my car as I am. I just had the paint correction done, what are the odds that those well used plastic service covers they lay in my perfect paint are not leave scuffs. I think only I will take the right precautions to ensure no marks. I realize at some point it will have to go to the dealer, but that may be a long time from now as I am at 2400 miles in 11 months. So should I make an entry in the service book of the oil change or just keep receipts?
The following users liked this post:
KlausS98 (02-01-2020)
Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Wow, I am getting braver after reviewing this. May have to DYI it. I am not cheap, I am just paranoid the dealer is not going to be as OCD about my car as I am. I just had the paint correction done, what are the odds that those well used plastic service covers they lay in my perfect paint are not leave scuffs. I think only I will take the right precautions to ensure no marks. I realize at some point it will have to go to the dealer, but that may be a long time from now as I am at 2400 miles in 11 months. So should I make an entry in the service book of the oil change or just keep receipts?
It's not that difficult. Just take your time and read all of the posts in this thread before you start. I wasn't being cheap, either. More **** (wanted it done right) and inquisitive about the mechanical inner-workings of the vehicle — kinda cool to pull things away and see the top of the cylinders!

Keep the receipts and write down the date/mileage.

- Mike
Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome write up. Thank you for taking the time!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This topic I will also post on the lowering thread (once I find it again). So we have a plastic oil sump. On the one hand, could be better for impacts than metal as it might such scratch or deform but not break. On the other hand, that oil pan cover is just there; only a couple-few inches from the pavement. Has anyone seen a skid pan product that installs under our oil pans to help protect the cover from on-the-road impacts?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 AM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Britdave
Fantastic write up, and photos. So good, I was all set to do it myself on my "new 2017 911/991 gen 2 " , that just turned 3,000 miles. Got all the stuff (oil filter & O ring, new plastic drain plug, and even the special tool to remove and install the new plastic drain plug, THEN I remembered the warranty, and re-setting the on board computer display !
Hence, fearing that issue, I took it to my local Independant Porsche tech here in Daytona, where I use to take my old 996, where I could get a receipt at least. He is very good, and I watched him do it, but realizing I could have easily done it too.

So my questions are : #1. How does Porsche inc feel about the owner who wants to change his own oil, when the car is still under warranty ? I mean, how can you prove it was done ? At least my indy, gave me a dated receipt, showing he was a bonafide Porsche tech, and listed the Mobil 1 0-40 , and Porsche (Mahl) OEM filter .

#2. How does one re-set the onboard computer, ref the "oil change" ?
If something were to happen to the motor, when it's still under warranty, and the owner has been doing all the oil changes, would that not void the warranty ?

Also my indy said the Mobil 1 0-40 is ok , but he recommends either the Mobil 1 5W-40 or "LIQUI MOLY" SAE 5W-40 (German oil) particularly here in Florida ! He also didn't like the plastic oil pan (with no cooling fins to dissipate heat) and this new style 1 1/2 turn plastic drain plug, apparently it's also used on newer VW's and Audi's Then there is the air filter issue, were you have to remove the entire rear bumper !
It's quite apparent, that Stuttgart does not want us working on our own cars anymore, and what's with all this plastic stuff Any advice/input on the latter is much appreciated Thanks Dave C ( Ponce inlet Florida)

I wrote to Porsche specifically addressing the issue of warranty if I did the oil change myself. Based on their response, I believe that it would not make a difference if you or your Indy performed the oil change.

This is the reply I rec'd:

Thank you for contacting Porsche Contact Center in regards to changing your oil on your 911 and whether or not, it will effect your warranty.

As always, we recommend you service your Porsche at one of our authorized Porsche dealerships. However, should you choose to have your maintenance performed elsewhere, you may do so. This will not void your warranty. Keep in mind, should your vehicle become damaged from the oil change, or a future concern with your vehicle related to the work performed, it may not be covered by your New Car Limited Warranty.

Additionally, once the oil has been changed, the vehicle will need to be reset so that it acknowledges that you have changed your oil. Please be aware, you may not have the proper tool to perform this step. This will require you to have your local dealer reset the vehicle for you and may come with a labor charge.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)