Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tire For Reduced Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:30 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

a new tire is a quiet tire. a worn tire is a noisy tire. I just put a set of S04 yesterday and its dead quiet
Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 AM
gg1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the tire rack website there is a noise category for each tire you can buy. I find their information quite good and go from there in my researching of tires.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I just switched from semi-new (50%) PZeros to new Michelin Pilot 4S's and the noise reduction is definitely noticeable.
I swithched from factory Pirelli's to the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and the reduction in noise is amazing.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
a new tire is a quiet tire. a worn tire is a noisy tire. I just put a set of S04 yesterday and its dead quiet
Absolutely right. New tires that are perfectly round and perfectly balanced always feel terrific--usually better than the worn-out gumballs they have replaced.

That's not to say that there aren't differences between tires in performance and comfort. But they are best evaluated by those who can compare new tires to new tires.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
This
Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I agree. My car on an average highway surface (so not new fresh smooth asphalt) shows 93db at 100 km/h. That is about the same volume level as flying on a 737 jet airliner. My BMW 5 series had an interior reading of 83 on the same stretch of road.

As much as I've been in love with the idea of owning a 911 for decades, I find the combination of interior "drone" from the rear of the car at 2,200 RPM (where the car seems to spend a lot of its time in city driving) and the tire roar, to be too much for my tinnitus.

If blocked symposers and quieter tires can bring the noise levels down, I'd be OK, otherwise this car will get traded for a Panamera.
funny you should say this... had a loaner this weekend; 16 Cayman S. the droan was way worse on highway and I used to think maybe my exhaust droaned since I went aftermarket fairly early in ownership.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:56 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
funny you should say this... had a loaner this weekend; 16 Cayman S. the droan was way worse on highway and I used to think maybe my exhaust droaned since I went aftermarket fairly early in ownership.
Back when I was shopping my first PCar, one of the main reasons my wife vetoed a Cayman over a 911 was that both Caymans we test drove were notably louder inside than the 911s. I'm pretty sure all of them had new tires so that factor could be ruled out. Fortunately that went in a favorable direction!

On OPs original question, I'm going to be replacing my 75% worn P-Zeros with Michelin P4S's at the end of next week since the P-Zeros have gotten too slippery even with tread remaining. As part of prepping for the change, I've taken DB readings in the car using an iPhone app using a setting that claims to mimic the sound response of the human ear. I've taken the readings with the car in Normal mode, windows up, radio off, PSE off, PASM off, AC/Fan off, and seat cooling off. I took the readings on two types of pavement at a known speed and location. I'll duplicate the same experiment on the same road stretches with the new 4S's as soon as I have them. Of course, its not the same as comparing all new tires for both, but I figure it would be interesting nonetheless.

Here's what I have so far with the old P-Zeros:
Fresh high-traction high-porosity asphalt (the new mix that reduces water retention and hydroplaning) at 70mph: 88.4 DB average.
Old asphalt in good condition with minimal tar strips at 65mph: 74.8 DB average

I'll update as soon as I have the new tires/wheels on. Of course, the absolute DB readings aren't by themselves that meaningful since who knows how good an iPhone app can do this, but using the same app before and after will at least provide good relative results.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:40 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
I've taken DB readings in the car using an iPhone app using a setting that claims to mimic the sound response of the human ear. I've taken the readings with the car in Normal mode, windows up, radio off, PSE off, PASM off, AC/Fan off, and seat cooling off. I took the readings on two types of pavement at a known speed and location. I'll duplicate the same experiment on the same road stretches with the new 4S's as soon as I have them. Of course, its not the same as comparing all new tires for both, but I figure it would be interesting nonetheless.
Off topic but it's funny, just yesterday my girlfriend pulled out the same app to remind me I listen to my music too loud. I'll just have to say I do it to drown out the tire noise. Maybe it'll afford me the opportunity to buy the PS4's.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Ps4-$1550 Canadian.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:43 PM
thebrit86
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced the Pirelli's to the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my C4. So far the difference is amazing.... the car is quieter, rides better and doesn't "hunt" for road groves. Don't know how it does with rain yet but my PZeros were LETHAL in the rain so I can only hope these are better.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:03 PM
porsche42
Racer

I just replaced the P0s with the new MPS S4 and the noise difference is amazing. Still breaking the tire in, but so far so good.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Another aside: At the IMSA races at COTA this weekend I got to listen to a short talk by a guy from Michelin engineering. He said the engineering team hated the "4S" name for the tire... one reason being that they thought many would think it was an all-season tire at a glance. But the marketing guys apparently got their way. I don't get the 4 part of it either, although it makes it easy to remember what tire I have on my 4S.

Addition: And oh yeah, he said that the Pilot 4S also has lower rolling resistance that the prior models for better economy and performance.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Another aside: At the IMSA races at COTA this weekend I got to listen to a short talk by a guy from Michelin engineering. He said the engineering team hated the "4S" name for the tire... one reason being that they thought many would think it was an all-season tire at a glance. But the marketing guys apparently got their way. I don't get the 4 part of it either, although it makes it easy to remember what tire I have on my 4S.
Here is an excerpt from the article linked below from Automobile mag which sheds a little light on the naming rationale.

First, it’s important to clarify the somewhat perplexing name of the new Michelin tire. The ‘4S’ in PS4S does not mean it’s a four-season (all-season) tire. The PS4S is Michelin’s 4th-generation Pilot Sport UHP summer tire, carrying on the legacy of the original Pilot Sport, the Pilot Sport PS2 and the Pilot Super Sport. To add to the confusion, Michelin also has the new Pilot Sport 4. That tire doesn’t hold the same ultimate performance focus as the PS4S and is exclusively a European-market tire, outside of a handful of OEM applications. That’s why there is an ‘S’ in ‘PS4S,’ signifying a level of performance beyond the Pilot Sport 4, similar to Porsche’s badging scheme for the 911 Carrera S versus the standard 911 Carrera.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/mi...t-super-sport/
Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Here is an excerpt from the article linked below from Automobile mag which sheds a little light on the naming rationale.
Ahhh, thank you for the great followup!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

4s not on Canadian website.

Quick Reply: Best Tire For Reduced Noise